Geddy's voice went downhill with the Hemispheres tour.

Eel Yddeg

The 1979 Pinkpop festival is the best I have heard Geddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEh2vugwNFo

What about Foooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!?... :)

I can"t see videos on my phone anymore :rage: just started yesterday out of nowhere... :wtf:

The 1979 Pinkpop festival is the best I have heard Geddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEh2vugwNFo

What about Foooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!?... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wxMMml5gqc

I can"t see videos on my phone anymore :rage: just started yesterday out of nowhere... :wtf:

that sucks, well it is the In The End video of him counting to four, a shortened version

I'd actually echo Spaghetti Lee's thought that Geddy's voice actually started going down hill after the 2112 tour. Even though he continued to sound great after that, you can tell the upper range power was gone (at least when he sang live, he still had the power in the studio) as soon as the AFTK tour.

What makes you say that?

Just listening to something like 2112 from ATWAS, there's an unmistakable power/swagger that he sings it with. When I hear performances from the AFTK tour and onward, I can start to hear that is voice is starting to get tired. Of course, he's always been a brilliant vocalist both live and in the studio, but after the 2112 tour, he lost something. He lost it a little more after Hemispheres :D Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

I disagree that it went downhill. It certainly changed after the Hemispheres tour, but I feel like his best voice of all was around Counterparts/Test for Echo.

Well sure, I simply meant it went downhill in terms of his ability to the sing the older material as effectively as he once did

I disagree that it went downhill. It certainly changed after the Hemispheres tour, but I feel like his best voice of all was around Counterparts/Test for Echo.

Well sure, I simply meant it went downhill in terms of his ability to the sing the older material as effectively as he once did

In that case, yes I agree. But I can't really blame him. ;)

The only things I blame Geddy for are ditching the Rickenbacker and looking like a lesbian in the 90s

The only things I blame Geddy for are ditching the Rickenbacker and looking like a lesbian in the 90s

Eh, he got tired of the Rick I imagine, and as far as his look in the 90s he has admitted it was a fashion flop. :P

Eh, he got tired of the Rick I imagine, and as far as his look in the 90s he has admitted it was a fashion flop. :P

Even if he got tired of it, he should have used it live for the 70s tunes

Even if he got tired of it, he should have used it live for the 70s tunes

I suppose so, but the jazz bass was good too.

This thread's talking about his ability to sing the old stuff with his signature grit and power. I think it dissipated after the AFTK tour. Compare Different Stages disc 3 to the Black Forest boot, for example.

Personally, here's my peaks for Geddy.

Studio: Rush-Hemispheres

Live: 1974 (Rush Tour) through 1978 (AFTK tour). While his voice was great on the Hemispheres album, the tour featured him losing his grit and power. Though his voice still sounded good afterwards, even today, it can't compare to the greatness of the '70s.

For full banshee wail, I think 2112/ATWAS he hits peak power but my favorite Geddy voice is PeW/MP tours. It's the perfect mid point of old/new Rush. He's settled down but still isn't shying away from the tuff stuff if need be. Come Signals you can start playing Rush around friends and family that have no interest/knowledge of the band.

It's like listening to early Zeppelin. Those first tours in '69 Plant is almost too much, by '72 he's perfected his delivery and by '73 the cracks have appeared and it was a battle to hold on to what he had. Geddy just had a much longer arc than Plant. In from '74-'79 it's over the top Ged (that is not a bad thing), 80-81 peak perfection. 1982-92 settles in comfortably, '94-08' still very good but hey time marches on. For me the turn comes at the Time Machine tour. The older material sounds strained and some songs I just wish they would have dropped (TSOR in particular). But hey, that's a hell of a run - Geddy you're the best, we love you, man

• Like 1

Geddy's range started to become more limited after about 1976-'77. That was when the timbre of his vocal started to change.

I feel that he started to become a much better singer, technically speaking, when he stopped straining so much.

Geddy's range started to become more limited after about 1976-'77. That was when the timbre of his vocal started to change.

I feel that he started to become a much better singer, technically speaking, when he stopped straining so much.

And when he hit puberty. ;)

I have no idea where the whole "Decay after 1976" stuff comes from. I thought he was still on top through the Hemispheres album. The tour is where his voice changed.

You're the one saying he decayed. The rest of us are (correctly) saying he changed his approach.

I'm saying he changed his approach after 1978. Everyone else is saying 1976.

And plus, i don't think he decayed too much. Even now, he still sounds good, but his 1978/9-onwards voice can't compare to before.

Not in terms of histrionics, that's true. But I still maintain he was technically a better singer after he started to mellow a bit more.

And plus, i don't think he decayed too much. Even now, he still sounds good, but his 1978/9-onwards voice can't compare to before.

Not in terms of histrionics, that's true. But I still maintain he was technically a better singer after he started to mellow a bit more.

I agree with this. In the early days he did a lot of screaming, which fit the music they were doing and was also kind of his signature sound (along with that vibrato). As their music changed, so did his voice and his approach to singing. I don't think his 70's voice would have fit the 80's+ music.

Edited by EagleMoon