Facebook was just killed

Disembodied Spirit

Never saw the big deal of it.

I can understand that. But for me, I live across the planet from my immediate family and rarely get to see them. FB helps with that issue. I also was able to reconnect with first cousins, uncles, and aunts that live in The Philippines and Europe. Of course, I was able to reconnect with friends that mattered from school days too. So for me, Facebook has been an extremely useful tool.

Also, FB has been an extension of TRF. A lot of the old school posters from around 10 years ago are on there now but not here. It's nice to "see" them there and catch their humor and Rush-related posts.

I'm not a FB user that plays FarmVille (or other shit like that), has 1000+ friends, or posts a selfie every time I eat a roast beef sandwich.

I don't play any of the games on there as they don't seem to be compatible with my device.

I can understand that. But for me, I live across the planet from my immediate family and rarely get to see them. FB helps with that issue. I also was able to reconnect with first cousins, uncles, and aunts that live in The Philippines and Europe. Of course, I was able to reconnect with friends that mattered from school days too. So for me, Facebook has been an extremely useful tool.

Also, FB has been an extension of TRF. A lot of the old school posters from around 10 years ago are on there now but not here. It's nice to "see" them there and catch their humor and Rush-related posts.

I'm not a FB user that plays FarmVille (or other shit like that), has 1000+ friends, or posts a selfie every time I eat a roast beef sandwich.

I don't play any of the games on there as they don't seem to be compatible with my device.

I've never tried to check if it's compatible or not. I simply don't play them. Not playing the games is the same as not going on Facebook. But I also don't want those games to end (like some want Facebook to end) since others enjoy them.

• Like 1

I deactivated mine a few months ago. Best thing I ever did

How do you do it if you can explain it to me as simple as humanly possible? I am a super dumb@ss when it comes to this stuff... :)
  • Like 1

I've never tried to check if it's compatible or not. I simply don't play them. Not playing the games is the same as not going on Facebook. But I also don't want those games to end (like some want Facebook to end) since others enjoy them.

Neither do I - I wouldn't want the games to end either.

Kill the abominiation that is f@ceb00K! Let it flatline

In all seriousness, I agree. We'd all be just fine without it.

Trust me- I've never had an account there. And somehow, I've managed to get along just fine in this life.

:huh:

Of course, we'd be fine. But IMHO you might as well say kill The Rush Forum too.

Also, I've never really watched much pro hockey, golf, and baseball so kill them too. And kill 99% of tv shows since I don't watch those either. I don't have an iPod so kill those. I don't even have a home computer so kill all home computers. I haven't had one in maybe 5 years. I don't have a car. I haven't had one since 2001. I've managed to get along just fine.

I understand the logic, and I thought someone would probably mention TRF, when I posted what I did. But I see the two communities as vastly different things.

One out of every seven people on Earth, roughly, is on Facebook in a personal capacity. Millions of companies have pages on Facebook, to the extent that 'check us out on Facebook' has become a mantra for many of them that have become successful. Obviously there's appeal there, yes; obviously lots of people enjoy it, for lots of different reasons.

My position is that this one website has weaved itself into our culture to a staggering degree. I'm just not comfortable with it, and personally, I'm fine if it never existed. It's just my opinion.

If The Rush Forum had literally one billion members, and if millions of companies had their own pages here, saying 'check us out on TRF'...if TRF controlled so much when it comes to advertising and marketing and all the privacy concerns that are related to what is being marketed to masses upon masses of people...you can bet I wouldn't be here, either. That was all I meant.

Same reason I haven't done a Google search in three and a half years or so- I saw a story on the nightly news about how Google was changing its privacy policy. I'm sorry, but when that makes national or international news...that's when I bow out.

Just my opinion, no sweat...kudos to everybody else's opinions, too.

Edited by Blue J

Trust me- I've never had an account there. And somehow, I've managed to get along just fine in this life.

Of course, we'd be fine. But IMHO you might as well say kill The Rush Forum too.

Also, I've never really watched much pro hockey, golf, and baseball so kill them too. And kill 99% of tv shows since I don't watch those either. I don't have an iPod so kill those. I don't even have a home computer so kill all home computers. I haven't had one in maybe 5 years. I don't have a car. I haven't had one since 2001. I've managed to get along just fine.

I understand the logic, and I thought someone would probably mention TRF, when I posted what I did. But I see the two communities as vastly different things.

One out of every seven people on Earth, roughly, is on Facebook in a personal capacity. Millions of companies have pages on Facebook, to the extent that 'check us out on Facebook' has become a mantra for many of them that have become successful. Obviously there's appeal there, yes; obviously lots of people enjoy it, for lots of different reasons.

My position is that this one website has weaves itself into our culture to a staggering degree. I'm just not comfortable with it, and personally, I'm fine if it never existed. It's just my opinion.

If The Rush Forum had literally one billion members, and if millions of companies had their own pages here, saying 'check us out on TRF'...if TRF controlled so much when it comes to advertising and marketing and all the privacy concerns that are related to what is being marketed to masses upon masses of people...you can bet I wouldn't be here, either. That was all I meant.

Same reason I haven't done a Google search in three and a half years or so- I saw a story on the nightly news about how Google was changing its privacy policy. I'm sorry, but when that makes national or international news...that's when I bow out.

Fair point. But you know as well as i do that most of those that want facebook to die are not thinking along your reasonable lines.

In regards to TRF / Facebook, they certainly aren't the same. I liken it to running into an old classmate somewhere in a shop. It's nice to bump into them and share stories...but yeah, certainly the atmosphere is different because the venue itself is different

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

My position is that this one website has weaves itself into our culture to a staggering degree. I'm just not comfortable with it, and personally, I'm fine if it never existed. It's just my opinion.

Fair point. But you know as well as i do that most of those that want facebook to die are not thinking along your reasonable lines.

In regards to TRF / Facebook, they certainly aren't the same. I liken it to running into an old classmate somewhere in a shop. It's nice to bump them and share a little something...but yeah, certainly the atmosphere is different because the venue itself is different

Facebook allowed people to reconnect with people from their own past.

I moved from my home town, 20 years ago, and severed ties with 98% of the people who were there.

The internet/ Myspace/ Facebook allowed me to reconnect to only the ones, I wanted to reconnect with.

And honestly, their lives of being in the same town, to quote a band "Time Stands Still' . Most of them have not seen the world like me, they are still in the little bubble they were in 20 years ago. Not all, but Most.

TRF is a family of people with a mutual interest from around the world. So YES, Very different.

There are some days I am never on TRF or FB. Life/Work does that. I use both, but for very, very different reasons.

I use Facebook. I use it to stay connected with friends and family around the world, many/most of whom I would not be in contact with if it were not for FB. I post occasionally, usually less than once per day, and I never play games there. I usually look at FB on my home computer which runs an ad blocker, so I almost never see ads there (although I do see ads if I'm reading via my iPad).

If other people don't want to use FB because there are large corporations on there or because it has so many members I must ask: why does that matter? With FB you choose who your friends and contacts are, so if you don't want to "like" or follow a company or an individual you don't have to. It's what you make of it. And no one is forcing you to log in there every day and waste time on that website, so why get mad at *it* when you're the one taking that action? Like JohnnyBlaze said, it's really no different than The Rush Forum. Sure, here everyone has been brought together because of a common interest--Rush--but often that is our *only* common interest. On FB I am brought together with others, many of whom I've known for over 20 years because we have *many* common interests. What's wrong with that?

What I'm saying here is be careful of sweeping statements like "Facebook is bad." "I don't like it so shut it down." etc. because other people have different experiences than you.

• Like 1

I use Facebook. I use it to stay connected with friends and family around the world, many/most of whom I would not be in contact with if it were not for FB. I post occasionally, usually less than once per day, and I never play games there. I usually look at FB on my home computer which runs an ad blocker, so I almost never see ads there (although I do see ads if I'm reading via my iPad).

If other people don't want to use FB because there are large corporations on there or because it has so many members I must ask: why does that matter? With FB you choose who your friends and contacts are, so if you don't want to "like" or follow a company or an individual you don't have to. It's what you make of it. And no one is forcing you to log in there every day and waste time on that website, so why get mad at *it* when you're the one taking that action? Like JohnnyBlaze said, it's really no different than The Rush Forum. Sure, here everyone has been brought together because of a common interest--Rush--but often that is our *only* common interest. On FB I am brought together with others, many of whom I've known for over 20 years because we have *many* common interests. What's wrong with that?

What I'm saying here is be careful of sweeping statements like "Facebook is bad." "I don't like it so shut it down." etc. because other people have different experiences than you.

I use it, and don't complain about it. After all, its free and no one puts a gun to my head to waste time on it. Its my choice.

I do get sick of being bashed over the head with peoples political opinions, as if they have a f***in clue. Just parrots repeating crap that they hear and trying to seam brilliant.

• Like 3

http://fotos.fotoflexer.com/d1c0c203d6717cfccefb75a9643dd948.jpg

HOAX

EDIT: Sorry, I should have read it....lol....I am just so used to people passing along the BS version.

Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 1

I've had a FB Account for several years but have hardly used it 'til recently.. when, caught - up - in - the - moment, managed to make a complete and utter t*** of myself.. and i sincerely hope i've not embarassed those the other end. :facepalm:
  • Like 1

I use it, and don't complain about it. After all, its free and no one puts a gun to my head to waste time on it. Its my choice.

I do get sick of being bashed over the head with peoples political opinions, as if they have a f***in clue. Just parrots repeating crap that they hear and trying to seam brilliant.

I don't mind an occasional political post by someone but there are people who definitely overdo it. It's like they have nothing else to say, ever. Politics is a part of life, and I get that, but it's not the only thing in life. Diversify.

How do you do it if you can explain it to me as simple as humanly possible? I am a super dumb@ss when it comes to this stuff... :)

http://www.gcflearnf...ng-your-account

Here you go! :D

• Like 1

:LOL:

Wait...who am I laughing at? I still have an aol account.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

http://www.gcflearnf...ng-your-account

Here you go! :D

Thanks darlin... :cheers:
  • Like 1

I've had a FB Account for several years but have hardly used it 'til recently.. when, caught - up - in - the - moment, managed to make a complete and utter t*** of myself.. and i sincerely hope i've not embarassed those the other end. :facepalm:

I rarely hear anyone admitting to such stuff. Good for you. No worries though...we all make idiots of ourselves in some corner of our lives at times

• Like 3

Just curious, what is facebook?

Just a way to connect with people. If you're on here, I think you could do it. Some great Rush fan groups there.

:)

Kinda joking but never had an account....

Question regarding FB..

Notifications: keep being told of login activities from different locations to that of my Desktop and the Smartphone that i seldom use.. the distances involved are between 5 and 58 miles (as the crow flies )

My question to you is.. is this normal ?