Paging Mike Portnoy!

Maverick

You are needed to be Rush's third drummer.

But you will only be needed for tours.

Neil will still write and record with Geddy and Alex.

Who's with me?

I'm not quite there. What I might like to see is a "Geddy Lee of Rush" tour where he does Rush songs with a new drummer and guitarist. He also might need to hire a vocalist.

I'll wager if Geddy records and tours again, he'll stick to his solo stuff, throw in some oldies from his younger years ala Feedback, and maybe throw in a couple of Rush tracks just to keep the fans happy. He isn't going to do a full on Rush-without-Alex-and-Neil kind of show. I'm thinking more like Phil Collins did with his solo shows for many years; largely his own material, and a token Genesis song.

But who knows. Both David Gilmour and Roger Waters have filled seats by performing a significant quantity of Pink Floyd material. I mean, Waters has literally spent the last four or five years just playing The Wall, with only a brief nod to anything he did after PF.

Still, Gilmour and Waters are rock royalty, up there with Paul McCartney, The Who and The Rolling Stones. I'm not sure that Geddy, as great as I think he is, could ever hope to replicate that.

I'm wagering smaller venue tours (a few thousand seats at most) and a set list that doesn't scream "nostalgia". Probably some summer festivals. Maybe he'll hit LA and convince Alex and Neil to join him for an encore. Frankly I think that's the only way anyone will ever see Rush again.

Who's with me?

I am not with you. Mike sucks at Rush covers. Have you seen the Cygnus And The Sea Monsters dvd? JUNK

Give me Danny Carey. Who's with me?

Nick D'Virgilio or Tim Alexander are actually more inventive drummers than Portnoy...(don't know enough Tool to comment on Danny Carey)

Who's with me?

I am not with you. Mike sucks at Rush covers. Have you seen the Cygnus And The Sea Monsters dvd? JUNK

Nick D'Virgilio or Tim Alexander are actually more inventive drummers than Portnoy...(don't know enough Tool to comment on Danny Carey)

Couldn't disagree more. Portnoy is very creative. He gets a lot of hate....cough...cough...because of his ego and over-playing, but the drumming polls speak for themselves. He's ruled the drumming polls for a decade and like Mike likes to say.....there are no "best" drummers....only favorites.

http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Comics/Bloom%20County/Portnoy_300.gifhttp://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/drum-set-cartoon-style-38675274.jpg

Portnoy's drumming makes me want to puke on a homeless person....God no

Oh c'mon....sure he over-plays somewhat, but the guy is super creative. Give the man some credit. That stuff is difficult to play.

I give Portnoy a lot of credit for his ability to play, he's very good. On the other hand, I don't think his drumming is very creative at all, and his overbearing technicality bores me to the point of suicidal thoughts
  • Like 1

Tate/Lifeson/Lee/Portnoy.......what are we going to call this new project? LOL

Rise To Your Knees

I have heard it before somewhere but it has a nice ring to it... :cheers:
  • Like 2

Oh c'mon....sure he over-plays somewhat, but the guy is super creative. Give the man some credit. That stuff is difficult to play.

I give Portnoy a lot of credit for his ability to play, he's very good. On the other hand, I don't think his drumming is very creative at all, and his overbearing technicality bores me to the point of suicidal thoughts

I do agree with you partially. After seeing him in clinic and seeing and hearing him talk about how he developed his style, I've always thought that Portnoy influences the Dream Theater studio arrangements immensely. Maybe even too much. It's almost like some of the song parts arrangements are jiving with some of the main patterns Portnoy is comfortable in playing. Almost like the drums came first in some instances. LOL!

• Like 1

Met the man 2 times. The first encounter was in 1992 on the Images&Words tour, where he was totally on that Jägermeister shit. But he was very friendly and talkative that night. Then I met him in 2001 on Transatlantic's SMPTe tour. A friend of mine and I were so pumped from that 3 hour show, that we told him to quit DT, and go on with this guys. Haha, he freaked out and push came to shove, till one of the security guys lugged him away from us.

and for the topic:

f**k NO!

• Like 1

Rise To Your Knees

A more appropriate one would be Bend Over and Spread Em.

• Like 1

Rise To Your Knees

A more appropriate one would be Bend Over and Spread Em.

Ok. I can go with that if you prefer... :cool:
  • Like 2

Rise To Your Knees

Geddy said it as a joke in the documentary.

If there's a Geddy & Alex project down the road I imagine it'd be simply "Lee/Lifeson" OR some impossible name for us to even guess. Look at their solo work, one went under "Geddy Lee", the other "Victor".

I have a better idea:

Lee, Lifeson and Harrison.

*drops mic*

As a side project not named Rush, add one of the top-level synth guys in the business and this line-up would kick so much ass.

It doesn't have to be competitive, "oh, but so and so is better than so and so." I'd love to hear a new Lee/Lifeson/Peart, Lee/Lifeson/Harrison and Lee/Lifeson/Portnoy album.

But I'm a pretty hardcore Harrison fan. The dude's pockets have pockets.

• Like 1

Who's with me?

I LOVE HERB!!!!!!!

TIM ALEXANDER IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVES!!!! PRIMUS SUCKS!

• Like 1

I will give him "6:00." Excellent drumming.

Met the man 2 times. The first encounter was in 1992 on the Images&Words tour, where he was totally on that Jägermeister shit. But he was very friendly and talkative that night. Then I met him in 2001 on Transatlantic's SMPTe tour. A friend of mine and I were so pumped from that 3 hour show, that we told him to quit DT, and go on with this guys. Haha, he freaked out and push came to shove, till one of the security guys lugged him away from us.

and for the topic:

f**k NO!

Interesting. I met the entire band at The Stone in San Francisco on the Images And Words Tour. Mike was a total f***ing midget prick.

The nicest guy was James! We talked about Rush and the fact that he was also from Toronto. He signed the back of my ticket. "Hi Earl... James LaBrie"

Very cool.