Rush Concerts Attended Before 1985

Lorraine

The Hemispheres tour they did all of By-Tor but they didn't follow it with In The End like on ATWAS. They only followed it with Xanadu. It was so disappointing for me then I would imagine... :LOL:

You lucky dog! I saw them on the Hemispheres tour as well, but they didn't play all of By-Tor.

:laughing guy: Either that or I am misremembering... :LOL: :codger: <----------------------------------

Could be. I just listened to a Hemispheres boot from '78 (I saw 'em in Feb of '79) and they were doing the transition already.

The Hemispheres tour they did all of By-Tor but they didn't follow it with In The End like on ATWAS. They only followed it with Xanadu. It was so disappointing for me then I would imagine... :LOL:

You lucky dog! I saw them on the Hemispheres tour as well, but they didn't play all of By-Tor.

:laughing guy: Either that or I am misremembering... :LOL: :codger: <----------------------------------

Could be. I just listened to a Hemispheres boot from '78 (I saw 'em in Feb of '79) and they were doing the transition already.

I saw them in January of 79' so I am sure you are correct. Appreciate the accuracy... :)

I was too young for the 70's and was into other music back then. However, in the 80's while at school it started while working security at the Hampton Coliseum Hampton VA. THE busiest concert venue on the east coast at the time,14,000 and the best concert sound one can find.

Early November 1894 I had smoked some while waiting on a friend to see my first show. I had the car cassette radio turned up loud to MP and TCE came on. I started tripping wondering who in hell is honking at me in a parked car. Great show not sold out saw some seats in the upper bowl available. In between acts some knucklehead snatched my GUP shirt, I chased him down and gave him something he hasn't forgotten. My shirt was in shreds though, awesom show.....Neil drum toss he almost missed but caught it behind him with a reach then came back right on beat...crowd went nuts.

So pumped after the show we decided to drive to the Spectrum to see the next show. I was hooked from there to 48 more shows through the years. Going to school in VA, then living in MC/PG County, MD I was able to see many concerts there and in PA-NJ.

I won't edit it, maybe my ancestors felt I was going to be a preordained fan of this band. That make any sense?

• Like 1

For all of you ancients here who saw them midseventies or so, did you ever see Rush do By-Tor in concert like they did it on ATWAS?

Yes. The second time I saw them in 1975 they went from The Necromancer into By-Tor.

How true. The best backup band to me were CandleBox, their guitar player impressed me, and MSG, both bands and Rush played in my backyard(Providence Civic Center, Providence, RI). Strange thing, for some reason Rush haven't toured at the Civic Center since Test For Echo. I wonder why?

Candlebox were much better than I expected. Nice, pleasant surprise. Towards the end of their set between songs, the vocalist was talking about Rush and the guitarist played a few Rush riffs. It got the audience on their side even more. Worthy opening gig.

The year before that I saw Primus open. I already liked them so it was a real treat. Weird and talented trio.

For Presto, it was Mr. Big. Some talented musicians there but man they sucked!

• Like 1

I can imagine. It may have even disappointed me at the time.

How long were their concerts back then?

From what I remember the opening band was 30-45 minutes and Rush was an hour and a half to maybe 2 hours. Just an educated guess at this point :codger: and someone can correct me if I'm wrong. There was obviously only one intermission and that was between bands (as you well know with the shows you and bands you saw). It's so great the way they have done it over the last bunch of years. Them only a plenty of them with a brief intermission. Makes for a great evening with Rush for sure.... :)

Yeah, the full shows that I have recordings of from around that time are right around two hours exactly. Two blisteringly wonderful hours, at that!

• Like 2

When they did By-Tor into Xanadu, I'm pretty sure By-Tor was only the first four or five minutes (basically the first half) of the song- during that slower, quieter midsection before Neil's hugely long snare drum roll, into the bluesy jam that leads up to the coda...during that quieter midsection of the tune is when Neil starts up with the chimes and the woodblocks- the Xanadu intro. It's like that on the Hammersmith show from February '78, that comprises disc 3 of Different Stages.

If there truly a full By-Tor with Xanadu following it, I'd flip my lid to hear that!

When they did By-Tor into Xanadu, I'm pretty sure By-Tor was only the first four or five minutes (basically the first half) of the song- during that slower, quieter midsection before Neil's hugely long snare drum roll, into the bluesy jam that leads up to the coda...during that quieter midsection of the tune is when Neil starts up with the chimes and the woodblocks- the Xanadu intro. It's like that on the Hammersmith show from February '78, that comprises disc 3 of Different Stages.

If there truly a full By-Tor with Xanadu following it, I'd flip my lid to hear that!

I am sure that is what I witnessed but it was so long ago I really couldn't remember and and not up in the least on the bootlegs from that period or any period for that matter and never really cared to be. Just not my thing I suppose. I don't recall them playing coda at the show I went to but as I said it was long ago... :) :codger: Edited by Narps

Narps, you're not interested in all the live recordings that are out there?

Different strokes, no sweat...but there's some wonderful stuff to listen to, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Different strokes, no sweat...but there's some wonderful stuff to listen to, in my opinion.

Not really. Never have been. I guess it's no different than reading. I have very little interest. I don't change my ways very easily either so I have been told... :codger:
  • Like 1

Not really. Never have been. I guess it's no different than reading. I have very little interest. I don't change my ways very easily either so I have been told... :codger:

Me neither. The few that I have are hard to listen to because the sound quality is not very good. It's hard for me to listen to something that just sounds bad.

• Like 1

Me neither. The few that I have are hard to listen to because the sound quality is not very good. It's hard for me to listen to something that just sounds bad.

That has been my experience as well. Even ones that have come highly recommended in the past by people who's opinions I respect they always sound bad to terrible to my ears. I am typically comparing them subconsciously most likely to the creme dela creme that is ATWAS however. Probably why I just can't get into them. Old stubborn geezer out... :codger:
  • Like 1

I saw Rush at least 10 times before 1985 Lorraine! I was probably pretty high in those days, and you want me to remember dates 30 years later?

I can understand that very well. So many concerts I went to myself and only two I actually remember parts of and one I remember an impression. Someone here once asked me if I remembered the set list from a concert I went to in 1969. Hahahahahahaaaa!!

I find it hard to understand too because some of the bootlegs out there are so incredible. They give me such joy too when I listen to them. Beats the albums any time or day. :)

• Like 2

I find it hard to understand too because some of the bootlegs out there are so incredible. They give me such joy too when I listen to them. Beats the albums any time or day. :)

To me, it's a totally different energy, the comparison between a live show and a studio recording. Both have their respective charms. They're just very, very different.

I've always been a huge fan of live music in general.

I love especially when it's done very well, of course. :LOL:

• Like 1

That has been my experience as well. Even ones that have come highly recommended in the past by people who's opinions I respect they always sound bad to terrible to my ears. I am typically comparing them subconsciously most likely to the creme dela creme that is ATWAS however. Probably why I just can't get into them. Old stubborn geezer out... :codger:

Bad to terrible is a great description! The "official" live recordings are even sometimes hard to listen to. I do agree, ATWAS sounds the best by far. And it's the oldest! I did listen to ESL yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it though!

To me, it's a totally different energy, the comparison between a live show and a studio recording. Both have their respective charms. They're just very, very different.

I've always been a huge fan of live music in general.

I love especially when it's done very well, of course. :LOL:

With few exceptions, most of the Rush music sounds better live. That is, of course, only my opinion.

One of the things that I love the most about the bootlegs is Geddy with his "heys" and humming along to some songs. The man is a born entertainer.

It's the sound quality Lorraine. Mostly it's just bad.