Rush Concerts Attended Before 1985

Lorraine

December 2, 1982: Madison Square Garden, New York City

September 21, 1983: Radio City Music Hall, New York City

John, I was at one of the Radio City shows - did Marillion open when you saw them ?? ... They were booed unmercifully - I almost felt bad for them, but I was a 15 year old metal head and hated them too :D

You booed Rush in 1983? :outtahere:

What have you done to atone for this sin of sins???? :smash:

John, I was at one of the Radio City shows - did Marillion open when you saw them ?? ... They were booed unmercifully - I almost felt bad for them, but I was a 15 year old metal head and hated them too :D

The night I was there we booed them to the point of cutting their set short. I was just a 16 year old brat myself.

And how old of a brat are you now?

hahahaha Just teasing. ;)

And while you are here, maybe you can tell me how they managed to always sound in concert as they did on an album when no other band could do it?

It's complicated. Part of the reason they sounded so good back in the day is that they were playing in smaller venues, often theaters and/or auditoriums, buildings which were designed for audio fidelity -- the first two Austin gigs that I attended were an example of that: the venue was maybe a 2600 seater and they sounded simply amazing in it.

Another reason is that the material they used to write required little or no prerecorded material to sound good. There's a rhythm guitar track underneath the solo in 2112 Overture, but it's hardly missed when they play the song live. It's a nice part, for sure, but hardly integral to that part of the song. Back in the day they used to write and arrange with the goal of being able to have the song sound good performed live just as a three piece. They quit doing that when it became possible to sample guitar, bass, vocal parts.

Edit: And finally, they were consummate musicians compared to most of their peers.

He was talking about Marillion

I thought so too. Most of the opening bands that I saw with Rush back in the day were really a non factor and I couldn't care less about. There were many other headliners back then however that I did go to see partly and sometimes mostly for the opening act. Example Van Halen opening for Ted Nugent just after their debut release. Awesome show...

I can't remember them all, but I have seen every tour (I think) since the beginning. I do remember my first show was in December of 1974 at the Cleveland Agora. I was 14 and I was worried because it was a 18 and over show. I was big for my age and it was so busy when we got there they didn't even look twice. I may have missed the Fly By Night tour because Caress Of Steel came out before the second time I saw them in November of 1975. I do remember hearing Fly By Night songs at the Agora which was close to the time when Fly By Night came out so maybe I missed the debut tour?

Winner, hands down!!!

I can't remember them all, but I have seen every tour (I think) since the beginning. I do remember my first show was in December of 1974 at the Cleveland Agora. I was 14 and I was worried because it was a 18 and over show. I was big for my age and it was so busy when we got there they didn't even look twice. I may have missed the Fly By Night tour because Caress Of Steel came out before the second time I saw them in November of 1975. I do remember hearing Fly By Night songs at the Agora which was close to the time when Fly By Night came out so maybe I missed the debut tour?

Winner, hands down!!!

So many of you I envy. Anyone that saw them on both the Hemispheres and Signal tours - if only......

Those of you here that grew up in the NYC metro area, please correct me if I am wrong, but am I mistaken when I say that Rush wasn't exactly a band on everyone's turntable back then? i honestly, and I hung around 80% of the time in Manhattan, never remember anyone ever even mentioning them. I had a few of their early eighties albums, but I don't ever remember having a discussion with anyone about them. I am certain that if I had, and they had told me what a show Rush put on, I would have made a point of going to see them at MSG or RCMH.

I thought so too. Most of the opening bands that I saw with Rush back in the day were really a non factor and I couldn't care less about. There were many other headliners back then however that I did go to see partly and sometimes mostly for the opening act. Example Van Halen opening for Ted Nugent just after their debut release. Awesome show...

Rush openers that I enjoyed:

April Wine

Golden Earring

Steve Morse

Primus

• Like 2

Winner, hands down!!!

His office says it all if you have ever seen it. No more room on the walls or the furniture for anymore Rush stuff... :D

Rush openers that I enjoyed:

April Wine

Golden Earring

Steve Morse

Primus

I don't think any of these bands opened for them when I saw them back then. I would have to go back and do some research. April Wine I know I would have enjoyed. I know Pat Travers opened for them some but never did when I saw them. That I would have loved and been glued to my seat for both bands had that been the case...

My first was during the Hemispheres tour, Dayton Hara Arena, December 1st, 1978

After that was:

1979 - Hemispheres/Permanent Waves tour - same venue

1980 - Permanent Waves - UD Arena

1981 - Moving Pictures tour - Hara Arena

1983 - Signals tour - Cincinnati Riverfront Coliseum

1984 - Grace Under Pressure tour - Columbus Ohio Center

Ahhh, you saw them at Hara!! I love it.

My first Rush show was not until the Presto tour, March of 1990.

But I'm sure my brother went to those same shows that you did in '83 and '84. :)

I could swear they played at UD Arena in '84 as well, but I might be mistaken.

Also- there's a recording of the soundcheck they did before that particular '79 show- August 31st, at Hara. I've never tracked down a copy for myself, though.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

They certainly were playing at least Best I Can and In the End (and possibly Anthem? Not sure) prior to recording the Fly By Night album in December (or November?) of '74, so yes- I think you did see the very first Rush tour, as we know it.

:ebert: :notworthy:

Edited by Blue J

GUP tour Dayton, OH.

Ah-ha! Can you confirm my wondering from a couple of posts above? They did play UD Arena on the GUP tour, then?

After that was:

But I'm sure my brother went to those same shows that you did in '83 and '84. :)

Also- there's a recording of the soundcheck they did before that particular '79 show- August 31st, at Hara. I've never tracked down a copy for myself, though.

Oh really? I'll have to check and see if I can find that. I moved to Columbus in 84 and lived there until '91, dropped out of seeing concerts that whole time. Was working all the time and had left my bass at home with my parents. Music in general got put on the back burner.

I was just thinking, it was so much harder to take pictures and record a concert back then than it is now. Everything was so bulky, and pictures had to be developed. You didn't know what you had until the pictures came back. It still amazes me that we can get the quality recordings and pics that we do so quickly. Everything is immediate. Not to mention periscope.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 3

After that was:

Oh really? I'll have to check and see if I can find that. I moved to Columbus in 84 and lived there until '91, dropped out of seeing concerts that whole time. Was working all the time and had left my bass at home with my parents. Music in general got put on the back burner.

I was just thinking, it was so much harder to take pictures and record a concert back then than it is now. Everything was so bulky, and pictures had to be developed. You didn't know what you had until the pictures came back. It still amazes me that we can get the quality recordings and pics that we do so quickly. Everything is immediate. Not to mention periscope.

There are ups and downs about the technology we have now. The immediate gratification is cool in a lot of ways...but I also miss the days of opening up the envelope to see what your photos look like, yeah.

I need to get my old film-roll camera fixed, so I can use it again.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

After that was:

There are ups and downs about the technology we have now. The immediate gratification is cool in a lot of ways...but I also miss the days of opening up the envelope to see what your photos look like, yeah.

I remember having entire rolls of crap pictures now and then. What a waste of money that was. I love the digital cameras and the ability to just delete a picture immediately if you want. But it's sure brought out the idiocy in people with all the selfies.

• Like 1

After that was:

I remember having entire rolls of crap pictures now and then. What a waste of money that was. I love the digital cameras and the ability to just delete a picture immediately if you want. But it's sure brought out the idiocy in people with all the selfies.

Hahaha...among other things, yeah...

• Like 1

Do they still develop film from the old cameras? I wouldn't know the first thing to do with new high tech digital cameras.

Sure they do. There are still people with film cameras. That's the thing though. Digital cameras may be "high tech" but they're so simple to use. Easier than trying to figure out an SLR camera by a mile.

• Like 1

Do they still develop film from the old cameras? I wouldn't know the first thing to do with new high tech digital cameras.

Yes!

My local camera store even tells me that these days, they sell black and white film more than color film by about a 4:1 ratio. That surprised me, but I guess with photography being taught as an art class, that makes sense.

• Like 3

No no, Lorraine, no one booed RUSH ... It was Marillion that got it bad .... From what I remember, it was mainly the singer in Marillion - his vibe did not go over well

Keep in mind, although this is 1983 and RUSH had begun to change, the crowd was still predominantly metal fans - esp coming out of NJ

The show I saw at the Spectrum in Sept 1980, Saxon was the opening band - and they went over well

• Like 2

I was too young for the 70's and was into other music back then. However, in the 80's while at school it started while working security at the Hampton Coliseum Hampton VA. THE busiest concert venue on the east coast at the time,14,000 and the best concert sound one can find.

Early November 1894 I had smoked some while waiting on a friend to see my first show. I had the car cassette radio turned up loud to MP and TCE came on. I started tripping wondering who in hell is honking at me in a parked car. Great show not sold out saw some seats in the upper bowl available. In between acts some knucklehead snatched my GUP shirt, I chased him down and gave him something he hasn't forgotten. My shirt was in shreds though, awesom show.....Neil drum toss he almost missed but caught it behind him with a reach then came back right on beat...crowd went nuts.

So pumped after the show we decided to drive to the Spectrum to see the next show. I was hooked from there to 48 more shows through the years. Going to school in VA, then living in MC/PG County, MD I was able to see many concerts there and in PA-NJ.

Edited by g under p