Predictions about the Los Angeles Show and potential finality of it.

LeaveMyThingAlone

I will be attending the final ever Rush show on Saturday. Neil will hop on his cycle and go home and that will be it. Nothing special other than a great Rush show.

They may perform together, they may even record but there will not be any tours, hence this will be their last show. Everything in the show from the setlists to the staging and videos point towards their retiring. Alex and Neil are in pain. In one's 60s things only worsen. They are approaching a time when they will not be able to perform at the level they are accustomed. That in itself is reason enough to go out now. Having seen Les Paul play with gnarled, arthritic fingers allowing him to be a mere shadow of what he once was I do not believe Rush could continue under such circumstances. All of the recent endorsements and selling of their back catalog rights are financial indications of preparing for retirement. Even a 40th anniversary tour in their 41st year (officially 41 years yesterday, Geddy's birthday).

• Like 2

I will be attending the final ever Rush show on Saturday. Neil will hop on his cycle and go home and that will be it. Nothing special other than a great Rush show.

They may perform together, they may even record but there will not be any tours, hence this will be their last show. Everything in the show from the setlists to the staging and videos point towards their retiring. Alex and Neil are in pain. In one's 60s things only worsen. They are approaching a time when they will not be able to perform at the level they are accustomed. That in itself is reason enough to go out now. Having seen Les Paul play with gnarled, arthritic fingers allowing him to be a mere shadow of what he once was I do not believe Rush could continue under such circumstances. All of the recent endorsements and selling of their back catalog rights are financial indications of preparing for retirement. Even a 40th anniversary tour in their 41st year (officially 41 years yesterday, Geddy's birthday).

Can you explain to me what you mean by "selling of their back catalog rights"?

Ray Danniels sold Rush's publishing rights for their back catalog to a third party (Ole) for $25 million. The explanation was that they do not see a time when their catalog will be more valuable. Essentially they no longer own the rights to their own music. But they got a tidy sum in return.

http://www.celebrityaccess.com/members/profile.html?id=686

• Like 3

On a lighter note, while looking up something else, I found out that not just Audrey Solomon, but five other Clockwork Angels String Ensemble members (Adele Stein, Jacob Szekely, Gerry Hilera, Joel Derouin, and Mario de Leon) live in LA, apparently. It could be quite a reunion on Saturday. I do not expect to hear The Garden. But I do hope Audrey gets to play Losing It for us.
  • Like 1

Losing It is also in indication of their pending retirement. To me anyway.
  • Like 2

Ray Danniels sold Rush's publishing rights for their back catalog to a third party (Ole) for $25 million. The explanation was that they do not see a time when their catalog will be more valuable. Essentially they no longer own the rights to their own music. But they got a tidy sum in return.

http://www.celebrity...ile.html?id=686

Thank you!

• Like 1

Thank you!

I just read that interview with Ray.

The other day I told my husband that if I had been gifted with what Rush has, if I hadn't had business people surrounding me that I could completely trust, I would've been taken for every cent because I simply do not have a head for doing deals or any type of business. Reading this article further proves this to me.

That was a very interesting article. Ray's a real wheeler and dealer and quite the savvy guy.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Interviewer: The video era changed fans’ expectations of live performances. They began to want something big from bands. At the same time, Rush has to please many of their earliest fans who don’t want to see an old show.

Ray: It’s true. Expectations are high, as are ticket prices. We are a victim of that too. As tickets have gone up over the years, the show has grown along with that. It’s a much different experience today than just seeing your favorite band, and having general admission on the floor. That’s not the world that we are in anymore.

The live music sector changed forever when Michael Cohl wrangled the Rolling Stones' 1989 Steel Wheels world tour away from Bill Graham. After reportedly offering an advance fee of $70-million for a 55-city tour in lieu of all merchandising rights, Michael pioneered building enriched revenue streams from merchandising, fan clubs, and VIP ticketing.

From my vantage point, we all owe Michael Cohl and, in fact, the Rolling Stones, a debt of gratitude for being the pioneers that brought in modern ticket prices.

I have a question about this paragraph from the Ray interview.

This Michael Cohl - he's a promoter I am assuming? So, this is what happens with Rush - Live Nation sells them as a package for a set price?

Edited by Lorraine

Live Nation owns and controls something like 2/3 of the amphitheaters in the U.S. and control other venues' booking. When they merged with Ticketmaster they have essentially the controlling stake in booking and tickets sales. Tours are big business especially when long lived bands are involved. Once corporations started backing tours bands started to get guaranteed flat rates instead of splitting tickets sales with the venue and regional promoters. Bands get guaranteed money and corporations set ticket prices with calculated risks of returns. Big business.
  • Like 3

Live Nation owns and controls something like 2/3 of the amphitheaters in the U.S. and control other venues' booking. When they merged with Ticketmaster they have essentially the controlling stake in booking and tickets sales. Tours are big business especially when long lived bands are involved. Once corporations started backing tours bands started to get guaranteed flat rates instead of splitting tickets sales with the venue and regional promoters. Bands get guaranteed money and corporations set ticket prices with calculated risks of returns. Big business.

I think it is awful that it has turned into such a big business. It didn't start out like that.

I don't know how a young band would even make it big today.

Everything has changed so much.

Exactly...so thrilled this wasn't the case, and also that Neil did come back and Rush gave us a lot of new music and tours since that time.

Yep. And still there are Rush fans begging and whining about more, more, more.

Self absorption is an ugly thing.

They have no idea how fortunate we've been.

Quite the exaggeration there. Nobody is "begging and whining". You are one of the fortunate people who's getting to see the R40 tour. Most outside the U.S.A. haven't and won't. They're disappointed about that and understandably so. But everybody is aware that the guys are in their 60s with grandkids and simply have to stop sometime. Nobody's SO upset about it that they're going to stalk and harass Neil Peart until he changes his mind. They're losing something that's been very impactful on their lives and are sad about it. You're probably right that Saturday is it for live shows, but no need to rub people's noses in it. I don't understand why you're reading a forum with "fanboys" when "fanboy" chat irritates you so much. Seems you're just torturing yourself and everyone here as well. :huh:

I'm not tortured at all. I'm happy for Neil that he's finally going to get to wind down. He deserves it.

Nobody's losing anything.

But yes, perhaps you're right. I'd forgotten how message boards tend to roll. Thanks for the reminders. :)

Adieu, fair ladies and good gentlemen.

I wasn't trying to be rude or run you out. It's just a little overboard to imply that anyone who so much as speculates whether Rush might ever do anything again is somehow trying to deny Neil Peart happiness. Obviously, he's going home on Saturday with the thought that retiring will make him happy. Good for him, he's earned it. And if he does ever record or play shows with Rush again, it will be because he *decides* that's something that would also make him happy. Because we know he's not the type to do something just because a bunch of fans want him to. There's a difference between hoping and EXPECTING, and in this case, I don't see the former as some sign of disrespect for what Neil's given over 40 years and what he's been through. He'll do whatever makes him happy and we will always have the mountain of great music he is one-third responsible for.

• Like 1

Do I want to see Rush again? Of course I do. I've only seen them once before, and this tour has been superb by all accounts, so I'd love them to do a U.K. leg of the R40 tour. Do I think it will happen? No, probably not.

I wouldn't class myself as a selfish fanboy at all; I don't think wanting to see one of my all-time favorite bands on their final tour is selfish at all. I imagine countless other European fans feel the same.

That doesn't mean I'm going to boycott them from now on if they don't tour and get mad at them. I've got their albums and my experience from seeing them on the Clockwork Angels tour, and I can enjoy them for the rest of my life.

It would just be amazing IF I did get to see them once last time though. :) Part of me would like them to say 'No, there will not be any European shows' just to put the nail in the coffin on that particular hope, as it would give it some finality. Still, that's not Rush's style, and that's fair enough.

^^^ better?^^^^

(now you DO know I'm going to whine about the other people with LARGE pictures, now....) ;)

Yes, much better. As far as whining about other people's sigs...yeah, maybe don't do that. ;)

Well I'm a bit annoyed that I report some troll, then I catch hell about my signature, AND get grief from one of your mods about reporting the troll?

Nice set up this is turning into!

Thank you!

The other day I told my husband that if I had been gifted with what Rush has, if I hadn't had business people surrounding me that I could completely trust, I would've been taken for every cent because I simply do not have a head for doing deals or any type of business. Reading this article further proves this to me.

That was a very interesting article. Ray's a real wheeler and dealer and quite the savvy guy.

Yeah,

It took me a while to read it. Very interesting information. Talk about being dedicated to a band. Its amazing how he talked about all of the changes through out the years in the industry. And being able to adapt to it all and succeed all of these years. Very impressive.

:rush:

• Like 1

Thank you!

Yes,

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Thanks,

Great article. :cheers:

• Like 1

Up until very recently I imagined this would not be the end. But after finally buying and reading through the Tour Book, it changed my mind. Neil's writing is so "final" in nature. He really makes it seem like it's the end. I felt really strange after reading that book.

They should play "Always Look On The Bright SIde Of Life" over the pa at the end (like Iron Maiden does). Just to lighten the heavy mood. It's just the end of a tour, possibly the last one. None of the guys are dying and we'll always have the albums and videos to go back to.
  • Like 2

Where and if they ever play again.....bet yer ass I will be there.

But I am at peace with the fact that it may be over. I saw them two times on this tour and it was glorious. I scratched off 4 bucket list songs in Lakeside Park, Anthem, What Your Doing and the epic Jacobs Ladder.

I have had the great Rush live experience since 1982.

I have zero complaints and expectations. I feel blessed I was able to catch tours since Neils tragedy. I thought it was all over after Different Stages. This was a second life with the band that has been my soundtrack 35 of my 45 years of life on this planet.

And I would I live it all again.....

• Like 4

Thank you!

Yeah,

It took me a while to read it. Very interesting information. Talk about being dedicated to a band. Its amazing how he talked about all of the changes through out the years in the industry. And being able to adapt to it all and succeed all of these years. Very impressive.

:rush:

Troutman, the best is that the man is a high school drop out. Which just goes to show. Some stuff you are just born with. No amount of schooling can give you chutzpah.

• Like 3

So, folks, now that Rush no longer owns the rights to any of their music, here's a possible scenario from the future.

You are sitting in front of your tv when all of a sudden you hear music from The Weapon only to find out it is being used in a commercial for condoms.

• Like 2