Best albums for a new fan?

Polaris

Leave Presto till last and then you'll understand why it's one of the least liked albums.

Or you can listen to it with an open mind and you just might like it. Ya never know.

:moose: Presto :moose:

I would like it more if it was remastered with more balls. The bass and low mids are pretty much absent.

Ok looks like I'll only be able to order Steel, 2112, and Waves. In case you don't know, I'm 16 and I ask my dad for money since both my parents won't let me get a job. He just told me he's only giving me enough for those albums.

So I listened to Kings and wow, what a great album! The title track and Xanadu are my favorites from it.

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 1

Ok looks like I'll only be able to order Steel, 2112, and Waves. In case you don't know, I'm 16 and I ask my dad for money since both my parents won't let me get a job. He just told me he's only giving me enough for those albums.

So I listened to Kings and wow, what a great album! The title track and Xanadu are my favorites from it.

The title track and Cinderella Man are two of the most underrated and under appreciated tunes they ever produced. Enjoy young man. You are actually the same age I was when I bought it in 1977... :sigh: :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

The title track and Cinderella Man are two of the most underrated and appreciated tunes they ever produced. Enjoy young man. You are actually the same age I was when I bought it in 1977... :sigh: :codger:

I honestly love Madrigal, on its own, as well.

AFTK is just PERFECT!

• Like 1

Leave Presto till last and then you'll understand why it's one of the least liked albums.

Presto is fantastic. 'Nuff said.

Definition of Fantastic.... 6 good to really good songs ;) Problem is there are 11
  • Like 1

Or you can listen to it with an open mind and you just might like it. Ya never know.

I would like it more if it was remastered with more balls. The bass and low mids are pretty much absent.

I don't know about that. I've thought about it in the past, but it may just be that the bright production fits the songs. Although the live treatment of those songs does give them a heavier sound. So...yeah. Maybe.
  • Like 1

Definition of Fantastic.... 6 good to really good songs ;) Problem is there are 11

Anything they put out is fantastic IMO even though some albums have flaws. I still like it all! :)

52 minute album. :ph34r:
  • Like 1

I don't know about that. I've thought about it in the past, but it may just be that the bright production fits the songs. Although the live treatment of those songs does give them a heavier sound. So...yeah. Maybe.

It sounds like they recorded it from an AM transistor radio. Nothing sounds as good as it should coming out of a 3 inch speaker.

• Like 1

If you have access to Netflix or something, I would recommend going ahead and watching the documentary 'Beyond The Lighted Stage.' It is a doc by the band, with a full history

Amen...

It sounds like they recorded it from an AM transistor radio. Nothing sounds as good as it should coming out of a 3 inch speaker.

Radio-friendly!!!! :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Even through headphones it sounds like it's coming from the car across the street. :D Love the songs, though.

• Like 1

If you have access to Netflix or something, I would recommend going ahead and watching the documentary 'Beyond The Lighted Stage.' It is a doc by the band, with a full history

Amen...

Yeah I thought it was cool that Netflix had it, of all things. It's great to be able to watch it over and over and not have to worry about digging out the blu-ray.

my view is anything post permanent waves more for mature rush heads. starters should begin with either 2112, waves itself, or obviously kings/hemispheres. you could throw in COS or FBN into the mix too but i'd use them as snacks during the main course really. not to say they aren't brilliant, COS is mindlowing but possibly for the slightly more developed learner too. once you get past Waves, even moving pictures is becoming maybe slightly too developed for the young padawan :)

only after thoroughly digesting the starter albums and you know what this band really all about should you move onto stuff like signals/gup/hyf etc etc

but then again that might all be bullsh*t i'm too old to know what's right or wrong anymore.

in fact yeah, dismiss all that cr*p, go straight for vapor trails... secret touch, ghost rider and earthshine will blow you awayyy man.

I ordered the three albums! They should arrive some time next week. The next three on my list are Hemispheres, Power Windows, and Grace Under Pressure.

I'll look up the documentary and I'll check out the live albums at some point also. I watched the Periscope stream of last night's show and wow, I underestimated these guys big time.

Edited by Polaris

Take your time. I've found there is a season for each album. Also there are different eras of their albums which you may already have noticed. You have a long journey ahead...enjoy!

I got Permanent Waves in the mail yesterday. Wow, this album is awesome. My favorites on it are Freewill, Different Strings, and Natural Science.
  • Like 2

I got Permanent Waves in the mail yesterday. Wow, this album is awesome. My favorites on it are Freewill, Different Strings, and Natural Science.

enjoy, my friend. i envy ya for having the first-time experience. soak it all up. a gift from the gods.

You can watch it on YouTube as well

Got Caress and 2112 in the mail yesterday. Here's my quick review on both of them from the albums thread in the non-Rush music section.

Listened to these two for the first time.

Rush - Caress Of Steel. This is an odd album. Bastille Day is alright and I Think I'm Going Blad is mediocre and generic. Lakeside Shore is nice and the Necromancer is odd. Musically it's nice but I don't like the transitions at all. It doesn't flow so well in the way it was put together. The Fountain Of Lamneth turned out to be my favorite from this album and may be one of my favorite Rush songs now.

Rush - 2112. This is a much more consistent album. It's very enjoyable. The 2112 suite is amazing. I like the tracks that come afterwards. I'm really attracted to Tears.

Got Caress and 2112 in the mail yesterday. Here's my quick review on both of them from the albums thread in the non-Rush music section.

Listened to these two for the first time.

Rush - Caress Of Steel. This is an odd album. Bastille Day is alright and I Think I'm Going Blad is mediocre and generic. Lakeside Shore is nice and the Necromancer is odd. Musically it's nice but I don't like the transitions at all. It doesn't flow so well in the way it was put together. The Fountain Of Lamneth turned out to be my favorite from this album and may be one of my favorite Rush songs now.

Rush - 2112. This is a much more consistent album. It's very enjoyable. The 2112 suite is amazing. I like the tracks that come afterwards. I'm really attracted to Tears.

I love Tears ... something about it is very haunting and it paints a perfect mood

I got Hemispheres and GUP! Oh boy, here we go.

Hemispheres? Boy, it must be something amazing to be hearing this album for the first time.

• Like 3