Fountain of Lamneth

G Lee

I don't dislike CoS and fountain, but let's just say that nobody would be talking about it right now if it wasn't for what came after. They were lucky to survive that era.

That's absolutely not true - The Necromancer my number 2 RUSH song, and Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are favorites too

The first 3 albums are classic for me - Before And After, Working Man, What You're Doing, Finding My Way, In The Mood, By Tor, Anthem, In The End are the best of the best in my book

I think The Fountain Of Lamneth is unfairly seen as a stepping stone to what followed

To counter your point - I think The Fountain is unfair UNDERRATED because of what followed ....

All of what you say is true, but it doesn't discount what Relayer said.
  • Like 1

So what would you say was the turning point for Rush as a Progressive act... By Tor or the Fountain?

Good question. I would say ByTor, as it came first. Their "nerd outing", as it were.

Fountain is a brave move but it is uneven.It was an era of long conceptual pieces by a lot of bands an era which i love.But a few were harder to get into than others,e.g.A Passion Play vs Thick as a Brick.Fountain vs 2112.
  • Like 3

Apart from ITIGB it's a great 70s rock album.

Yeah. that song is a pox on their entire cataolog. It's one of about five i hear and NOPE

But Fountain and the rest of that album are amazing.

I just want to put a little love out into the world for Think I'm Goin' Bald. I know I'm the only one. But there is something about it that jives with me. It walks a weird line between serious and goofy that I think is a nice and oft-overlooked part of the band's aesthetic. (It shows up in a few other places, like By-Tor and the RTB rap, and a lot of the instrumentals.)

• Like 3

I dig Fountain a lot, even if it's not anywhere up there with the other epics. But as is often the case with a long-lived band's early catalog, their greatest work couldn't exist without it. Several commenters have pointed out the strength of its sheer ambition, and others have pointed out the weakness of its "not quite ready for the big time" quality. I think the value of the song lies in the way those are linked -- that these were three dudes who were not afraid to swing for the fences, even if they failed. It's the same attitude that led them to say "let's try an insane idea like that again" when it was time for a fourth album, and there's no debate about whether they got it right that time. :)

Fountain has its ups and downs, but what I find most exciting is that it sounds like the results of a conversation along the lines of, "Hey, let's do a whole-album-side suite like Yes or Genesis. Only instead of that pastoral prog stuff, let's go all-out hard rock on it! Yeah! Wait, do we have the chops for this? Ah, whatever, who cares!" (I mean, that might be verbatim.)

And from that perspective, it's an important moment in Rush history. On the first three albums, you have a band finding their way (yes, pun) by copying what they like... and when they've copied enough different sounds, you start to hear the common thread that's their own sound. And Fountain is a huge part of that... here are three guys who are trying to synthesize (yes, pun) the intricacy and scope of progressive rock with the brash hard-rock attitude of classic metal. By-Tor and the Necromancer are both a little tongue-in-cheek, a little intentionally silly. But Fountain is a serious work, and the band is pushing their own limits of composition, technique, and performance. I love the authenticity that bleeds from every note played and sung on that song.

The Fountain is... (yes, pun)... deep.

• Like 4

Meh.

No One At The Bridge......brilliant.

Everything else?

Meh.

I dig Fountain a lot, even if it's not anywhere up there with the other epics. But as is often the case with a long-lived band's early catalog, their greatest work couldn't exist without it. Several commenters have pointed out the strength of its sheer ambition, and others have pointed out the weakness of its "not quite ready for the big time" quality. I think the value of the song lies in the way those are linked -- that these were three dudes who were not afraid to swing for the fences, even if they failed. It's the same attitude that led them to say "let's try an insane idea like that again" when it was time for a fourth album, and there's no debate about whether they got it right that time. :)

Fountain has its ups and downs, but what I find most exciting is that it sounds like the results of a conversation along the lines of, "Hey, let's do a whole-album-side suite like Yes or Genesis. Only instead of that pastoral prog stuff, let's go all-out hard rock on it! Yeah! Wait, do we have the chops for this? Ah, whatever, who cares!" (I mean, that might be verbatim.)

And from that perspective, it's an important moment in Rush history. On the first three albums, you have a band finding their way (yes, pun) by copying what they like... and when they've copied enough different sounds, you start to hear the common thread that's their own sound. And Fountain is a huge part of that... here are three guys who are trying to synthesize (yes, pun) the intricacy and scope of progressive rock with the brash hard-rock attitude of classic metal. By-Tor and the Necromancer are both a little tongue-in-cheek, a little intentionally silly. But Fountain is a serious work, and the band is pushing their own limits of composition, technique, and performance. I love the authenticity that bleeds from every note played and sung on that song.

The Fountain is... (yes, pun)... deep.

Yes to succeed you must first fail. Fountain failed in the big picture. But what came next is why the band is on the R40 tour.

2112 was the brilliant child born from Lamneth and The Necromancer.

• Like 1

Apart from ITIGB it's a great 70s rock album.

Yeah. that song is a pox on their entire cataolog. It's one of about five i hear and NOPE

But Fountain and the rest of that album are amazing.

I just want to put a little love out into the world for Think I'm Goin' Bald. I know I'm the only one. But there is something about it that jives with me. It walks a weird line between serious and goofy that I think is a nice and oft-overlooked part of the band's aesthetic. (It shows up in a few other places, like By-Tor and the RTB rap, and a lot of the instrumentals.)

You are not rhe only one. I dig that tune as well.

Fountain is a brave move but it is uneven.It was an era of long conceptual pieces by a lot of bands an era which i love.But a few were harder to get into than others,e.g.A Passion Play vs Thick as a Brick.Fountain vs 2112.

Oooh now were talkin. TAAB is a masterpeice imo. APP is really good as well but I see your point tho the respective roles are reversed.

• Like 1

I must not be taking the right drugs. I've never been able to get into this song.

You get what you pay for. Try buying from an upscale dealer. If you want, I can hook you up with my neighbors. Judging from the cars of their clientèle, they must sell potent stuff.

• Like 1

Panacea is widely disliked? Whoa, didn't see that one coming. I've loved it since the first time I heard it. Edited by G Lee
  • Like 2

Panacea is widely disliked? Whoa, didn't see that one coming. I've loved it since the first time I heard it.

Yes. By many here. Soul Patch will back me up.

I've loved it too since the first time I heard it. I thought it was the most beautiful little song I had heard in a long time.

• Like 1

I first heard Caress of Steel in 1988 (I was 15)...I had no idea what ambergris was. I think I still don't have any idea.

But I'm man enough to admit it. :P

Musk Oil as a perfume first showed up in 1972. Along with Ambergris and Civet Oils.

Thank you!

i should have said in my area. It may have been around earlier. I used to love them, but they stopped selling Ambergris and Civet. I guess they weren't big sellers.

Anyway, that is why I guess Neil mentioned it in Panacea.