Will Rush make another album?

DirkPrattLerxst

75 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rush make another album?

• Yes
    • No

In regards to an album, it could go either way. But I do think they'll make new music in the form of one of these: (1) an EP...that'll be followed by a VERY VERY limited tour, (2) movie soundtrack work...Lifeson has already provided tv scores & Geddy has openly expressed wanting to make music for films (they DO love their movies those guys), (3) one or two new songs that'll be followed by sparse rock festival appearances. No way will these guys COMPLETELY stop making music or performing live after this tour.

They won't drop a new album without touring behind it.

I don't think this is necessarily right. I really think they all have many new musical ideas running around in their heads. They can take their time recording and "work around" the ailments they have. Plus, after the success of this tour, they know that new music would sell like crazy.

No new music sells like crazy these days unless you're a Korean pop band, Justin Bieber, hip hop, or Taylor Swift.

Nobody else make money off albums anymore.

You can't work around chronic tendonitis and arthritis.

People age. It's the circle of life.

Hope for a Geddy solo album. Alex and Neil are done after August 1. They wanna be grandpas. They've earned their tenure.

No thank you on another Geddy solo album. What I'm saying they all are very creative people, separate and together. Creativeness isn't just a switch that you can flip off. It just happens. I think eventually they will be itching to be creative together again. That's my opinion. Time will tell.

There's opinion, and there's actuality. :)

Creativeness doesn't switch off (unless you develop a decline in mental acuity with old age), but the ability to manifest it does. It's called GETTING OLDER.

Your wishes are not paramount to Rush's future.

Some of you guys just think things go on forever. There are some fans who won't let go of that bone until one of them is six feet under, I guess. Maybe not even then.

And you should give MFH another chance. It's a solid album through and through, better than a couple Rush albums, in fact.

So, what are your views? Another opinion maybe? (unless your a member of the band). Your opinion matters just as much as mine, which is very little. I'm just a fan. I don't feel that my wishes are paramount to anyone's future (except my immediate family, maybe). They are getting older. So are the Rolling Stones. So are The Who. I don't think age is the entire issue. I think there may be a little bit of "want and desire" mixed in too. Like I said, Time will tell.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 1

In regards to an album, it could go either way. But I do think they'll make new music in the form of one of these: (1) an EP...that'll be followed by a VERY VERY limited tour, (2) movie soundtrack work...Lifeson has already provided tv scores & Geddy has openly expressed wanting to make music for films (they DO love their movies those guys), (3) one or two new songs that'll be followed by sparse rock festival appearances. No way will these guys COMPLETELY stop making music or performing live after this tour.

I don't think this is necessarily right. I really think they all have many new musical ideas running around in their heads. They can take their time recording and "work around" the ailments they have. Plus, after the success of this tour, they know that new music would sell like crazy.

No new music sells like crazy these days unless you're a Korean pop band, Justin Bieber, hip hop, or Taylor Swift.

Hope for a Geddy solo album. Alex and Neil are done after August 1. They wanna be grandpas. They've earned their tenure.

No thank you on another Geddy solo album. What I'm saying they all are very creative people, separate and together. Creativeness isn't just a switch that you can flip off. It just happens. I think eventually they will be itching to be creative together again. That's my opinion. Time will tell.

Creativeness doesn't switch off (unless you develop a decline in mental acuity with old age), but the ability to manifest it does. It's called GETTING OLDER.

Some of you guys just think things go on forever. There are some fans who won't let go of that bone until one of them is six feet under, I guess. Maybe not even then.

And you should give MFH another chance. It's a solid album through and through, better than a couple Rush albums, in fact.

So, what are your views? Another opinion maybe? (unless your a member of the band). Your opinion matters just as much as mine, which is very little. I'm just a fan. I don't feel that my wishes are paramount to anyone's future (except my immediate family, maybe). They are getting older. So are the Rolling Stones. So are The Who. I don't think age is the entire issue. I think there may be a little bit of "want and desire" mixed in too. Like I said, Time will tell.

Mine is not an opinion. It's a known.

Comparing Rush to the Stones or the Who touring at 70 is a fool's errand.

More pertinently, why would you want them to tour into their 70s?

If you had arthritis in your fingers to the degree Alex does, and if you had the kind of pain Neil lives with on a daily basis (whether he's on tour or not), believe me, your theory about 'wants and desires' would diminish quickly.

Some of you guys really wrestle with the empathy card.

It's a tool. It gets rusty if you don't use it. So use it.

It's unlikely. They have always toured behind their albums.

I would wager we'll see a Geddy solo album before another Rush album.

I agree aboot Geddy. I also believe they will miss making new music together. I think they'll record an album then the tour discussion will happen. I believe if healthy enough they'll play a few select dates, a mini-tour. Save up those frequent flyer miles.

I believe we'll have hundreds of threads like this after August 1st.

• Like 1

Mine is not an opinion. It's a known.

Comparing Rush to the Stones or the Who touring at 70 is a fool's errand.

More pertinently, why would you want them to tour into their 70s?

If you had arthritis in your fingers to the degree Alex does, and if you had the kind of pain Neil lives with on a daily basis (whether he's on tour or not), believe me, your theory about 'wants and desires' would diminish quickly.

Some of you guys really wrestle with the empathy card.

It's a tool. It gets rusty if you don't use it. So use it.

Wow, you know a lot. You win. Game over.

EDIT: I never said anything about touring. All I talked about is new music. I agree that the touring is over.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 1

All wishful thinking.

Two of these guys are playing in pain.

Retirement is at hand.

Accept it.

What are you reading? Other than the EP, nothing in my post suggests a new album. And if you read my #2 POSSIBLE scenario, you'd know touring wasn't necessary. Especially, #2 is NOT wishful thinking. It's taken directly from Geddy interviews in which HE stated the possibility of soundtrack work. I didn't hope for that, wish it, or anything. I'm saying it's possible because HE stated the desire to do such a thing. What, you don't think they could write a song (or two) for a movie? You believe their bones are that brittle that they couldn't handle that one recording? Maybe. But again, these aren't my wishes. Accepting their retirement is the same as accepting that a new album is coming. There's nothing to accept. Nobody knows anything...including Rush.

If I could foresee the future I would've taken that right turn at Albuquerque. Or was it left?

Heh heh. Somebody knows something. :)

"Somebody knows something" is wishful thinking. Is it hard to believe that they have no plan? Is it hard to believe in even the possibility of slowing down considerably without actually retiring? They're predictably unpredictable...which is something they've even said before. Hell, Like many others, I thought they were going to quit after Peart's tragedies in the late 90s. THEY thought they quit too! Then, after R30 I thought they might be done because of it being a nice sendoff. THEN, I thought Clockwork Angels could be the end because it was such a good album PLUS they'd had a successful documentary, FINALLY got tv appearances, bla bla bla Fame awards, etc. Anything can happen. Haven't you heard that before? And in that anything is the possibility that nobody knows anything and nobody has a concrete plan.

• Like 3

"Somebody knows something" is wishful thinking. Is it hard to believe that they have no plan? Is it hard to believe in even the possibility of slowing down considerably without actually retiring? They're predictably unpredictable...which is something they've even said before. Hell, Like many others, I thought they were going to quit after Peart's tragedies in the late 90s. THEY thought they quit too! Then, after R30 I thought they might be done because of it being a nice sendoff. THEN, I thought Clockwork Angels could be the end because it was such a good album PLUS they'd had a successful documentary, FINALLY got tv appearances, bla bla bla Fame awards, etc. Anything can happen. Haven't you heard that before? And in that anything is the possibility that nobody knows anything and nobody has a concrete plan.

Glad to have you back. I've missed reading your posts.

Glad to have you back. I've missed reading your posts.

Cheers TM! :)

I'd love to see another Rush album although whether it'll happen or not is anyone's guess.

We know that Geddy and Alex are eager to do some more writing; I can't remember where I read that, but it was in one of the recent interviews that have been doing the rounds. If that means solo work, then great, I'll take what I can get. Unless they convince Neil to commit to a new album though, we won't see something under the Rush name.

I definitely don't believe that the guys are done creatively after August 1 though; they're musicians, they'll probably keep doing something, in some capacity, until they fizzle out and call it a day. But right now, a Geddy solo album seems like the best possible candidate---which is fine by me, as I love My Favourite Headache. :)

Bottom line, only Rush knows what's going to happen next.

Edited by CountFloyd84

They've all, even Neil, expressed interest in continuing to make music and work. They are just done with touring, by and large. Neil has been done for decades, and now that Alex is done too, for health reasons no less, the time has come to slow down.

But they can still play, and play damn well. So let's make some music!

• Like 2

Hope springs eternal. :)

But most of the time...not. :)

I can imagine you in Ray Daniels' position.

Bard: Geddy, we've had an unbelievable run the last 45 years so I agree with all of you in calling it quits.

Geddy: But we're not actually calling it quits.

Bard: No no, we're done.

Geddy: But we never formally or informally stated that.

Bard: It's implied.

Geddy: It is?

Bard: I know you have many ideas for other projects and have said as much but "Hope springs eternal"... but very rarely. We have to be realistic.

Geddy: I AM being realistic! Of course we're going to consider our families and our health before embarking on anything of a creative nature and it may be the end as you say but we don't even know what's going to happen.

Bard: Well let me save you the time: We're done.

Geddy: Wait, listen to me. I....

Bard: Nope. We're done. Thank you for everything.

• Like 3

I do believe they've got another album in them, probably two.

I do believe the touring, of any magnitude, will be over after August 1st.

I do believe there will be maybe 1 or 2 per year live one night 5 song performances for either charity, a festival or as an opening act guest appearance.

They're gonna make 10 more and somehow, someway me and Johnny Blaze will perform backing vocals on 5 of them. We refuse to come back again for the second 5 albums, they didn't pay us enough! :blaze: :blah: :blaze:

Personally, I'm not a backing vocalist that'll prostitute himself 10 times for a paltry wage. But yeah, I'll whore myself 5 times though.

• Like 1

They're gonna make 10 more and somehow, someway me and Johnny Blaze will perform backing vocals on 5 of them. We refuse to come back again for the second 5 albums, they didn't pay us enough! :blaze: :blah: :blaze:

Personally, I'm not a backing vocalist that'll prostitute himself 10 times for a paltry wage. But yeah, I'll whore myself 5 times though.

That's just what I was thinking! :smoke:

Bard: Geddy, we've had an unbelievable run the last 45 years so I agree with all of you in calling it quits.

Bard: I know you have many ideas for other projects and have said as much but "Hope springs eternal"... but very rarely. We have to be realistic.

Geddy: I AM being realistic! Of course we're going to consider our families and our health before embarking on anything of a creative nature and it may be the end as you say but we don't even know what's going to happen.

I hope you didn't spend too much time on that soliloquy. :)

Ray would love nothing more than Rush to continue on, believe me. They're his original cash cow.

Geez, you guys are really gonna have a hard time facing your mortality. My sympathies are with you. :)

Anything can happen indeed, with a Prime Mover anyways. ;)

I hope you didn't spend too much time on that soliloquy. :)

Ray would love nothing more than Rush to continue on, believe me. They're his original cash cow.

Geez, you guys are really gonna have a hard time facing your mortality. My sympathies are with you. :)

I just love when people show me condescension AND take what I say the wrong way. I mean I really love it. I love it like a dog likes fleas.

I didn't say the guys are going to turn water into wine. I didn't even say they're GOING TO your or make a new album.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I just love when people show me condescension AND take what I say the wrong way. I mean I really love it. I love it like a dog likes fleas.

I didn't say the guys are going to turn water into wine. I didn't even say they're GOING TO your or make a new album.

I love it when people insist on ignoring the clear evidence of things. I also love it when people grasp at straws for their own self gratification.

You keep insisting that I'm only implying the possibility of retirement. I'm not. This is the last Rush tour. That's not an implication or a prediction. It's an actuality.