Top 10 most under rated RUSH songs

New_World_Man

Please forgive me if this has been posted before but I'm brand new here so I didn't see it. ;)

Anyway, I was thinking about this the other day.

Here is my top 10(no order):

1. Turn the Page

2. Chemistry

3. Red Tide

4. Warpaint

5. Open Secrets

6. The Big Wheel

7. Circumstances

8. The Weapon

9. Different Strings

10. In the End (maybe my favorite from FBN)

To be honest I could probably add another five songs but I had to draw the line somewhere.

I think most of the songs on Grace Under Pressure are pretty under rated too so it would be hard to pick just one from that album. Also, a few from Power Windows especially territories and emotion detector and of course a few from Hold your fire.

• Like 3

You won't find Circumstances or The Weapon to be underrated around here. I think just about everyone loves those two. The rest of your list will probably bring some debate though.

I think Turn The Page, Red Tide, War Paint, Open Secrets and The Big Wheel are all good picks when it comes to underrated songs.

I consider those songs to be a little bit under rated. Ok, maybe not with most hardcore fans. Then again most of the songs I listed probably aren't under rated among most hardcore fans. Lol. Edited by New_World_Man

Please forgive me if this has been posted before but I'm brand new here so I didn't see it. ;)

7. Circumstances

8. The Weapon

We're gonna get along just fine especially #10. In my view Lessons, AFTK title track and Cinderella Man are the most underrated. Something For Nothing gets very little love also from my experience...
  • Like 1

7. Circumstances

8. The Weapon

We're gonna get along just fine especially #10. In my view Lessons, AFTK title track and Cinderella Man are the most underrated. Something For Nothing gets very little love also from my experience...

Agreewith you on all the side 2 2112 stuff.

Not a fan of Cinderella Man but AFTK is a killer track.

Hand Over Fist - One of my all time favorite songs by anyone. Seems to get a lot of hate over here. It definitely is a love it or hate it song though...

Witch Hunt - Looming in the shadows of the hits from this album, I find this as one of their best performances of the era, and it's much more pleasing than YYZ.

Turn The Page - Another track that I don't think people hate, just it's forgotten. One of my faves.

Open Secrets - Another love it or hate it song IMO.

Entre Nous - I don't hear much talk about this one. Would be great to see live again at some point, maybe at one of those one-off shows they keep hinting at....

Time & Motion - A forgotten song from an album that really isn't as good as the rest of their stuff. I still love it though!

Presto - Like Hand Over Fist, it has a similar energy and lyrical content. Definitely a love it or hate it song, and I wish they would would pull it back out live, since I missed Time Machine.

Between Sun & Moon - This track is, kind of like Entre Nous, not talked about much. I personally love it, and the live version gives it a whole new energy.

BU2B - Like Presto, this is another song I'd love to see live again (not as much as it though), and it doesn't seem to get much attention. I much prefer the live 2011 version to the studio version though.

Chemistry - Doesn't seem to get much talk, but it certainly is one of my faves (and apparently one of Ged's too), and I am still shocked, like with Countdown, at why it hasn't been played live since the Signals tour itself.

Honorable mentions: Carve Away The Stone (I love that song!), Half The World (Why so much hate?), The Larger Bowl (again, why so much hate for this one?), Anagram (Don't hear much about this one either....this one has really grown one my recently! I love it!)

Edited by DistantEarlySignals
  • Like 1

Carve Away the Stone gets the crown for me. I love it, and can't understand why others don't.

Probably because it's one of the worst songs they've done. And this is coming from someone who loves the bulk of their material.

1. Turn the Page

2. Chemistry

3. Red Tide

4. Warpaint

5. Open Secrets

6. The Big Wheel

7. Circumstances

8. The Weapon

9. Different Strings

To be honest I could probably add another five songs but I had to draw the line somewhere.

I think most of the songs on Grace Under Pressure are pretty under rated too so it would be hard to pick just one from that album. Also, a few from Power Windows especially territories and emotion detector and of course a few from Hold your fire.

In The End is in my opinion, hands down, the most underrated Rush song. Beautiful, powerful song.

• Like 1

The Necromancer

Fountain of Lamneth

Before and After

Best I Can

Rivendell

Twilight Zone

Lessons

A Farewell to Kings

Basically everything on Roll The Bones, but I'll go with The Big Wheel

Basically everything on Test for Echo, but I'll go with Dog Years

Basically everything on Vapor Trails, but I'll go with How it Is.

Chemistry is underrated? And Entre Nous?

Yikes, I'd hope not.

Most of Snakes and Arrows is underrated, by my estimate. It's a powerful album overall. Far better than its predecessor and its followup.

But by a country mile, the debut is constantly and unfairly underrated. Imma just go ahead and say Here Again is criminally underrated. :)

Chemistry is underrated? And Entre Nous?

Yikes, I'd hope not.

Most of Snakes and Arrows is underrated, by my estimate. It's a powerful album overall. Far better than its predecessor and its followup.

But by a country mile, the debut is constantly and unfairly underrated. Imma just go ahead and say Here Again is criminally underrated. :)

As a rule, I just assume the opposite of what you say is right. In this case, I'm batting 1000.

Very Underrated:

- Tears

- In The End

- Before And After

- The Necromancer

- Something For Nothing

.. not only are these underrated IMHO, but they are Top 10-15 in songs in my book - and in the case of The Necromancer, Top 3

• Like 4

Very Underrated:

- Tears

- In The End

- Before And After

- The Necromancer

- Something For Nothing

.. not only are these underrated IMHO, but they are Top 10-15 in songs in my book - and in the case of The Necromancer, Top 3

Totally agree except for Tears.

Losing it was played on this tour so I didn't include it. Same thing with Lakeside Park which I would also normally consider under rated.

I think Lakeside Park is a great song. I was surprised to hear Geddy say in an interview sometime in the past couple of years or so that he hates the song. In the same interview he said he can't listen to anything before 2112, which I found odd, because elsewhere he's said he likes the debut album and thinks it has aged well.

I've learned not to take comments made by Rush members in an interview as firm opinions etched in stone, as they often contradict themselves so far as their opinions of their various albums go.

Apparently Geddy ranked the Rush albums, or at least some of them, on a best to worst scale on a relatively recent appearance on "That Metal Show" (or rather on the after show, which is often available online as "AFTER That Metal Show").

I saw a clip on YouTube with Ged and his interrogators and a list of Rush albums up on the wall labeled with "Worst" on one side and "Best" on the other, but frustratingly, none of the accompanying video showed Geddy stating his opinion.

I would really like to hear how Ged ranked the albums if anyone knows.

Here's a link to the frustratingly limited clip in question:

If you freeze frame at 0:11 it appears he ranks the albums from most to least favorite thus:

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

AFTK

Debut

Signals

Caress of Steel

Fly By Night

I'm guessing he was asked only to rate the first 9, since there is nothing after Signals listed.

Edited by rftag

Losing it was played on this tour so I didn't include it. Same thing with Lakeside Park which I would also normally consider under rated.

I think Lakeside Park is a great song. I was surprised to hear Geddy say in an interview sometime in the past couple of years or so that he hates the song. In the same interview he said he can't listen to anything before 2112, which I found odd, because elsewhere he's said he likes the debut album and thinks it has aged well.

I've learned not to take comments made by Rush members in an interview as firm opinions etched in stone, as they often contradict themselves so far as their opinions of their various albums go.

Apparently Geddy ranked the Rush albums, or at least some of them, on a best to worst scale on a relatively recent appearance on "That Metal Show" (or rather on the after show, which is often available online as "AFTER That Metal Show").

I saw a clip on YouTube with Ged and his interrogators and a list of Rush albums up on the wall labeled with "Worst" on one side and "Best" on the other, but frustratingly, none of the accompanying video showed Geddy stating his opinion.

I would really like to hear how Ged ranked the albums if anyone knows.

Here's a link to the frustratingly limited clip in question:

If you freeze frame at 0:11 it appears he ranks the albums from most to least favorite thus:

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

AFTK

Debut

Signals

Caress of Steel

Fly By Night

I'm guessing he was asked only to rate the first 9, since there is nothing after Signals listed.

I agree with Lakeside Park ... I forgot that one on my list

• Like 1