I Think Genesis Is Way Better Than RUSH!

RUSHHEAD666

I REALLY THINK EARL HAS HAD ENOUGH TO DRINK TONIGHT!!!!

HELL, I THINK HE'S HAD ENOUGH TO DRINK FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK!

MAYBE EVEN THE MONTH!!!!!

IF HE'S NOT CAREFUL, HE'LL FIND HIMSELF IN THE CAGE AFTER THE CINEMA SHOW WITH THE SLIPPERMEN WHILE THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON ABACAB!!!

SHELDON

HAHA!!! CLASSIC SHIT!!! I WISH I WAS THAT DRUNK TO WRITE THIS SHITE!

"BETTER PEOPLE, BETTER FOOD, BETTER BEER" BITCH!!

LOVE,

TERRITORIES!

First of all, Rush > Genesis.

Secondly, Peter Gabriel years of Genesis > non-Peter Gabriel years of Genesis...

Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk.

• Like 2

As pretentious as Rush can be, they have never been more pretentious as Gabriel Genesis, which, dare I say, are a tad bit overrated by their fans. To me, Rush has always been more sincere with their music.
  • Like 2

As pretentious as Rush can be, they have never been more pretentious as Gabriel Genesis, which, dare I say, are a tad bit overrated by their fans. To me, Rush has always been more sincere with their music.

yes it is. Although i've warmed to it......it will never beat Collins era in my eyes.

Mick

• Like 1

yes it is. Although i've warmed to it......it will never beat Collins era in my eyes.

Mick

Yes but in my mind the Hackett years blow away Rush minus "Hemispheres."

You see "Trick Of The Tail" and Wind And Wuthering" RULE!!!!!

If you think it's pretentious, you've been taken for a ride

Look across the mirror son, before you choose, decide

Mick

There is not one Rush album I can think of that is better than Selling England or Trick of the Tail.

None

Aside from Signals. ;)

honestly man, people only call prog rock pretentious because some rock critics 40 years ago decided it was pretentious, and it's just been repeated to the point where people believe it. when david bowie wears a costume it's art, when peter gabriel does the same thing it's pretentious?

if the old "if a song is longer than six minutes and not performed by bob dylan or lou reed, it's pretentious" rule is indeed true, it's hard to say who's the biggest offender. musically, both rush and genesis could definitely get up their own asses with their playing styles, I suppose. lyrically, old genesis lyrics always had subtle humor, wordplay, sarcasm. old rush lyrics up to about 1980 can definitely have a sort of an uppity, "intro to philosophy 101" feel to them, but we've also got I think I'm going bald and the trees, which are breaks from all the "so he comes out of the black hole in like, ancient greece or some shit..." stuff.

honestly man, people only call prog rock pretentious because some rock critics 40 years ago decided it was pretentious, and it's just been repeated to the point where people believe it. when david bowie wears a costume it's art, when peter gabriel does the same thing it's pretentious?

if the old "if a song is longer than six minutes and not performed by bob dylan or lou reed, it's pretentious" rule is indeed true, it's hard to say who's the biggest offender. musically, both rush and genesis could definitely get up their own asses with their playing styles, I suppose. lyrically, old genesis lyrics always had subtle humor, wordplay, sarcasm. old rush lyrics up to about 1980 can definitely have a sort of an uppity, "intro to philosophy 101" feel to them, but we've also got I think I'm going bald and the trees, which are breaks from all the "so he comes out of the black hole in like, ancient greece or some shit..." stuff.

lol.

all very true and nicely put. Thanks

• Like 1

Mick

There is not one Rush album I can think of that is better than Selling England or Trick of the Tail.

None

Aside from Signals. ;)

only hemispheres and moving pictures beat selling england.

I have a major hard-on for anything pompous in rock music, I guess

lol.

all very true and nicely put. Thanks

thanks, no problem

I just don't dig musical insults like "this has no soul!" (even though I've used that one myself), "this is pretentious" "this is insincere" etc. for whatever reason, those remarks are only ever directed towards prog rock and heavy metal. there's a lot of music I don't like, but I'd never act like certain music is somehow fraudulent or whatever just because I'm not into it, ya know?

Prog rock, like all genres of Rock music has pretentious aspects. And Gabriel-era Genesis has it in spades. I like Genesis and when I watch a video of Peter Gabriel prancing around the stage dressed as a flower and talking nonsense, I call it out. The music is still good, but the overall package is pretentious. I feel the same way about Glam rock, Punk rock, New Wave, Hair Metal... the list goes on.

Also, I think a lot of Prog rock is too "intellectual" and "complicated" for its own good.

Oh yeah, I do think some of Bob Dylan's lyrics are pretentious and overboard on wordplay. It's a device he uses far too much, especially on a lot of his early material (John Lennon parodied it quite well on his home recordings). As for Lou Reed, well, sometimes he can simply be a prick.

If I'm going to call out the likes of Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus, I'm going to call out Peter Gabriel and David Bowie, too.

Trick of the Tail to me is better then Anything Rush did........bold statement but i believe it it. oh god I love that album.

Sorry Rush.

Mick

Why apologize? I prefer plenty of other artists' albums over Rush albums, except none are Genesis albums!

• Like 1

Trick of the Tail to me is better then Anything Rush did........bold statement but i believe it it. oh god I love that album.

Sorry Rush.

Mick

I'll have to check it out. I've never heard a complete Genesis album any later than The Lamb.

Sorry Rush.

Mick

I'll have to check it out. I've never heard a complete Genesis album any later than The Lamb.

Dude.......Genesis had some stuff GREAT at least through Abacab........the first side of 83 Genesis was great too. it's only at Invisible touch that Solo Collins And Genesis really Merge together, IMO

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Sorry Rush.

Mick

Dude.......Genesis had some stuff GREAT at least through Abacab........the first side of 83 Genesis was great too. it's only at Invisible touch that Solo Collins And Genesis really Merge together, IMO

Mick

you were listening to the freakin Mechanics of all people. Don't even tell me rutherford had nothing to do with Genesis becoming more commercial.

By the way have you ever heard Smallcreeps Day? It's good like Duke. Trust me.

Sorry Rush.

Mick

yeah TOTT is phenominal

Signals

Trick of the Tail

Duke

Selliing England by the Pound

Moving Pictures

etc

Sorry Rush.

Mick

Mick

you were listening to the freakin Mechanics of all people. Don't even tell me rutherford had nothing to do with Genesis becoming more commercial.

By the way have you ever heard Smallcreeps Day? It's good like Duke. Trust me.

I Agree but listen to IT and WCD and tell me they're not basically phil Solo with Genesis slapped on. I agree pop decision wasn't all Phil. but those two albums.......come on, lol. and no. Funny i was investigating Smallcreeps yesterday

Will pick it up.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000