Neil a phony??

nicky6

1. Never thought of Neil as being necessarily "right"....the phase of Ayn for Neil was what...39 years ago?......

Just in general on this thread....are we calling Neil a "phoney" for giving his opinion ( whether you agree or not...correct or not...its his opinion)...about someone who has been outted as a very provable plagerist?.... I mean...that's all kinds of rich when you think about it..

73 is gonna stamp down on this thread pretty soon...

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/100322_cn3wildemonty_p323.jpg

Neil spoke openly about politics in an historic cover article of rolling stone, in so doing a complete 180, as he was one of the RARE right leaning rockers that has shifted to the left.

Its current Rush news. Fair game.

I would hope we neither idolize nor trash.

So if you're a plagiarist, it's totally ok to call you a misogynist or racist without backing up the accusation?

In that case...Neil Peart very obviously hates minorities and women.

• Like 3

1. Never thought of Neil as being necessarily "right"....the phase of Ayn for Neil was what...39 years ago?......

Just in general on this thread....are we calling Neil a "phoney" for giving his opinion ( whether you agree or not...correct or not...its his opinion)...about someone who has been outted as a very provable plagerist?.... I mean...that's all kinds of rich when you think about it..

http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/100322_cn3wildemonty_p323.jpg

Neil spoke openly about politics in an historic cover article of rolling stone, in so doing a complete 180, as he was one of the RARE right leaning rockers that has shifted to the left.

If you are going to slander someone and call them a racist you'd better be able to back it up. Phony? Not sure that word describes Neil on this one. Douche bag? Yep.

• Like 2

So if you're a plagiarist, it's totally ok to call you a misogynist or racist without backing up the accusation?

In that case...Neil Peart very obviously hates minorities and women.

Exactly.

Pearts dislike for Rand Paul actually helps me to like Peart even more.

It is refreshing to hear his political view, as my views are very similar.

It would take a special candidate for me to ever even consider voting republican for anything.

So far, no one on the right could get my vote.

Edited by John V

Pearts dislike for Rand Paul actually helps me to like Peart even more.

It is refreshing to hear his political view, as my views are very similar.

It would take a special candidate for me to ever even consider voting republican for anything.

So far, no one on the right could get my vote.

Only the right? :)

Man, I don't like anyone in the race on either side!

• Like 1

My point is in the use of the word phoney.....which both Rands have been shown to be on varying levels...Ayn Rand...and Rand Paul.....

As to his work with minortities...its a pretty recent development and his own shouting down of female journalists is pretty well known.....I can see someone question his motivations in both cases.....

Again...Neil gave an opinion which is his right to do so.....it doesn't have to align with what you think or even be technically correct...

My point is in the use of the word phoney.....which both Rands have been shown to be on varying levels...Ayn Rand...and Rand Paul.....

As to his work with minortities...its a pretty recent development and his own shouting down of female journalists is pretty well known.....I can see someone question his motivations in both cases.....

Again...Neil gave an opinion which is his right to do so.....it doesn't have to align with what you think or even be technically correct...

Are Hispanics minorities?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/05/rand-paul-performs-free-eye-surgery-for-uninsured-patients/

Didn't Mr. Paul start a clinic for poor and needy families in 1995?

• Like 1

Does anyone think he'll be pressed on these political quotes by reporters along the tour, for more context?

In this day and age, yes. He has to know there's a bit of a backlash.

He doesn't do interviews once the tour starts, does he?

I could be wrong but I thought he has been speaking with reporters while on tour. I'd welcome him to elaborate further.

Not necessary. Read his blogs. He said exactly what he meant.
  • Like 1

Stop with your facts. If you don't like someone's political positions, it's ok to call them a racist and a misogynist, regardless of the facts. Just accept that and move on!

• Like 4

Hey if he did....good on him....I'm referring more to the incarceration stuff he's been going to the media with since...well...campaign season.....

Bottom line Neil or anyone else is allowed an opinion....

Hate seeing people get all bent like a character from the old tv series "V" because they are the newly uniformed family member falling entirely in line with Randian philosophy....Ayn....or not

Hey if he did....good on him....I'm referring more to the incarceration stuff he's been going to the media with since...well...campaign season.....

Hate seeing people get all bent like a character from the old tv series "V" because they are the newly uniformed family member falling entirely in line with Randian philosophy....Ayn....or not

Incarceration in that he wants to end mandatory minimum prison sentences? http://www.vox.com/2015/4/7/8360047/rand-paul-president-reform-justice

Or do you mean incarceration where he believes that convicted felons shouldn't be denied their right to vote as they are currently denied?

How many people here have to repeatedly state that they don't intend to vote for Paul, but they are displeased with Peart's accusations of racism and misogyny without backing it up before you accept that? Or is it easier just to ignore the points we are making and issue personal attacks?

• Like 2

Wowie just look at the Randian fury..to answer your questions.....I mean both....its a recent thing....and in *my opinion* he knows he stands no chance without certain demographics...a lesson not learned by the majority of the GOP....again...in my opinion.

The accusations of not liking women...his disrepectful tone kinda speaks for itself....Id say the vast majority of modern day politicians handle those situations better and without the condecension he displayed.....

Maybe this thread is overlooking a huge point Neil might be making...

That the right tends to steal his music, play it at their rallies, Rand even quoted The Trees repeatedly without permission. Even Neil Young is PISSED AT TRUMP FOR STEALING.

For a Party that prides itself on respecting business and free market economics, perhaps this repeated outright theft of intellectual property has PISSED OFF MR PEART.

IM ON MY PHONE SO REGRETTABLY UNABLE TO GET LARGER FONTS

;)

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 2

Wowie just look at the Randian fury..to answer your questions.....I mean both....its a recent thing....and in *my opinion* he knows he stands no chance without certain demographics...a lesson not learned by the majority of the GOP....again...in my opinion.

The accusations of not liking women...his disrepectful tone kinda speaks for itself....Id say the vast majority of modern day politicians handle those situations better and without the condecension he displayed.....

He could just be an ass to everyone and people are only singling out the barking at female reporters... he could just be a general ass, why need to try and pigeon-hole the guy? :LOL:

• Like 1

How many people here have to repeatedly state that they don't intend to vote for Paul, but they are displeased with Peart's accusations of racism and misogyny without backing it up before you accept that? Or is it easier just to ignore the points we are making and issue personal attacks?

Please point me to a personal attack...thanks ahead of time.

Maybe this thread is overlooking a huge point Neil might be making...

That the right tends to steal his music, play it at their rallies, Rand even quoted The Trees repeatedly without permission. Even Neil Young is PISSED AT TRUMP FOR STEALING.

For a Party that prides itself on respecting business and free market economics, perhaps this repeated outright theft of intellectual property has PISSED OFF MR PEART.

Neil has said they would have done the same no matter who used the music, which party they represented.... then he makes a statement like this?

My beef isn't about Neil Peart's poliltics. I've previously stated my issues. Again, I'm not defending Rand Paul's politics. Also, Rand Paul's current volunteerism is restricted by Congressional policies. I see no ulterior motives in him continuing his charity while in Congress or running for President.

Neil Peart's opinions simply come across as lock stepped with left-wing talking points. Political pablum. I simply think Neil Peart should be above it, especially after being labeled a fascist. I wish he was above the cliches and memes and narratives. I alwasy thought he was, especially when I was a teenager. He's partially responsible for why I'm taking the positon I am currently taking. Irony?

• Like 4

He could just be an ass to everyone and people are only singling out the barking at female reporters... he could just be a general ass, why need to try and pigeon-hole the guy? :LOL:

Could be....but that's the point.....Neils a "phoney"... not a guy with an opinion ....but people are Rushing to defend Rand without question.....at least till your post.

You're welcome.

And if you're implying that Paul is a misogynist or racist with your oddly argued comments about his past, you can add that, too.

• Like 2

Could be....but that's the point.....Neils a "phoney"... not a guy with an opinion ....but people are Rushing to defend Rand without question.....at least till your post.

I think it OP pointed out that "phony" was a poor choice of word. Also, Rand has not been defended without question. Hell, Rand isn't the point of the position.

• Like 2

phony is a bad word choice... hypocrite would be a better one.

Why state that you would ask any politician using your music to cease, regardless of party, and then make a comment like that? I am not a defender of Rand, I am not a defender of Neil, I'm just calling it like I see it.

• Like 3

Other than all the people who are saying that Paul is rightly called a racist or a misogynist, or that Peart should be able to make such baseless personal attacks free of criticism, you have a point. Wait, that proves you don't have a point. Oh well...

• Like 1

You're welcome.

And if you're implying that Paul is a misogynist or racist with your oddly argued comments about his past, you can add that, too.

That's.....a personal attack?...... um....ok.

The point is....YOU DONT have to agree with Peart.....but he can still say it.

Do you get this worked up when members of the GOP call the POTUS the antichrist...? Or imply he isn't a citizen of the US?...

Just curious to see if you get so eagerly worked up over that?