Who Has The Best Avatar?

Turbine Freight

FordGalaxy, men like Himmler destroyed many families, and practically left my grandmother senile with shock and grief for the rest of her life, and my dad, having survived on red parcel packages, never had a decent meal for the first three years of his life. And after the war, for a great deal longer. Prior to the war, this could have never happened.

The trauma left my grandmother so distraught, my dad had to cope with the worst possible childhood. My grandfather lost everything he and generations of his family had worked hard for, and spent decades after the war in deep poverty, with only the shell of a woman as his wife and two sons. Imagine the effect this had on my fathers only male figure to look up to (his brother survived, and old enough to remember and understand, was weak and unable to be much of a reliable role model).

My dad is now 76, and deeply affected by the havoc that tore apart my family, his childhood, and life saw me raised in a very dysfunctional way by a man who loved me but feared his role as a father because, let's face it, the genocidal Nazi regime ruined his parents confidence and pride, affecting my dads ability to understand firsthand how to be the best father he could be, because all he knew was misery, and fatherhood came so late in life for him it was practically impossible to undo the damage and be simply normal. I love him, but my childhood was directly affected because my dad is deeply scarred, by his youth and the eventual death of his ruined parents.

Don't you dare tell me I am sensitive and insinuate that I am foolish or without right to be offended by the casual way you use the image of a man who is solely remembered as a main part of a wicked regime that incarcerated my family for what was to be intended as the rest of their lives, in the process seeing to them losing everything, and then spend live the rest of their lives never once able to regain a feeling of normality or deep rooted happiness.

It might be of interest to you, but if you use as image like Himmler to represent yourself on an online forum, you cannot be surprised that some, with every right afforded to them, will be offended.

Maybe I should the image of a convicted child rapist, just because the picture is interesting.

:goodone:

It's especially inappropriate (if it could be any more so) on a forum devoted to a band one of whose members had family that suffered as a result of that particular evil.

• Like 5

FordGalaxy, men like Himmler destroyed many families, and practically left my grandmother senile with shock and grief for the rest of her life, and my dad, having survived on red parcel packages, never had a decent meal for the first three years of his life. And after the war, for a great deal longer. Prior to the war, this could have never happened.

The trauma left my grandmother so distraught, my dad had to cope with the worst possible childhood. My grandfather lost everything he and generations of his family had worked hard for, and spent decades after the war in deep poverty, with only the shell of a woman as his wife and two sons. Imagine the effect this had on my fathers only male figure to look up to (his brother survived, and old enough to remember and understand, was weak and unable to be much of a reliable role model).

My dad is now 76, and deeply affected by the havoc that tore apart my family, his childhood, and life saw me raised in a very dysfunctional way by a man who loved me but feared his role as a father because, let's face it, the genocidal Nazi regime ruined his parents confidence and pride, affecting my dads ability to understand firsthand how to be the best father he could be, because all he knew was misery, and fatherhood came so late in life for him it was practically impossible to undo the damage and be simply normal. I love him, but my childhood was directly affected because my dad is deeply scarred, by his youth and the eventual death of his ruined parents.

Don't you dare tell me I am sensitive and insinuate that I am foolish or without right to be offended by the casual way you use the image of a man who is solely remembered as a main part of a wicked regime that incarcerated my family for what was to be intended as the rest of their lives, in the process seeing to them losing everything, and then spend live the rest of their lives never once able to regain a feeling of normality or deep rooted happiness.

It might be of interest to you, but if you use as image like Himmler to represent yourself on an online forum, you cannot be surprised that some, with every right afforded to them, will be offended.

Maybe I should the image of a convicted child rapist, just because the picture is interesting.

Let me share a story with you. I'll start by saying it probably isn't nearly as traumatic as yours is, but is similar. My dad, who is 80, and his 2 younger sisters were abandoned by their mom when he was about 8 and they lived in an orphanage for several months. During that time, my dad had to "protect" his sisters because they were quite a bit younger and some of the other kids would pick on them. On the surface, this isn't as bad as your family's events, but when you find out that the reason my dad and aunts were abandoned is because their mom, who had custody after she divorced their dad, didn't want to have to deal with the responsibility of raising kids and preferred to party and hang out with her friends in the bars, it becomes much worse in my opinion.

Imagine the psychology that comes along with knowing that your mom wanted nothing to do with you when you were a kid. But my dad didn't dwell on that or blame his childhood when he made some bad decisions in life, he persevered and has had a very positive life.

I'm sorry that you have such a negative response to a picture, especially when you yourself haven't experienced the horror that came with that regime, but it's just a picture. Depending on a person's background, anyone here could post any number of pictures that some people may take offense from but there's no way to know that. Should we have a group of senior TRF members who act as a committee and have avatar choices submitted to them for approval? Is that something you'd prefer?

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 1

I'm sure he'll say go ahead, because it's your intent that matters..

You know what Ford's intent really is? It's to get people bickering... He wants to blow a pseudo-intellectual load all over those who call him a pest "No I'm not! These things are subjective! Moral equivalence! Blah blah blah... Why are you getting offended so easily? Aren't you supposed to be an adult? Control your emotions, let's be mature here... Look at me!"

:eh:

We should ignore it and stop derailing this thread.

What a silly post. You should go into business as a psychic, although you'd be completely wrong, like the rest of them.

Though he's AWOL, ColdFireYYZ's avatar is a winner too... On multiple occasions I've envied that he's claimed it.

Stupid Dream

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/Porcupine_tree_stupid_dream.jpg

• Like 1

Depending on a person's background, anyone here could post any number of pictures that some people may take offense from but there's no way to know that.

This is where your argument falls apart. Did you really think that in a group this large there wouldn't be someone offended by the picture of one of the biggest mass murderers of the 20th century?

• Like 3

^ tl;dr lol

^^^^I know what that means now. I learned it the other day when somebody posted it at me. See you can and typically do learn something new every day... :cheers:
  • Like 2

It looks like bean-tor has taken an early lead.

That cat will be a fatty with all the treats it's getting!

:cheers:

This has been a pleasant surprise; I truly had no idea that I was so noticed :blush: especially in the company of such fine folks.

And you should see the cat, sprawled out luxuriously with an apparent attitude of "that's right, lady--bask in my greatness!" :LOL:

• Like 2

Depending on a person's background, anyone here could post any number of pictures that some people may take offense from but there's no way to know that.

This is where your argument falls apart. Did you really think that in a group this large there wouldn't be someone offended by the picture of one of the biggest mass murderers of the 20th century?

I don't put that much thought into an avatar for a message board. In my opinion, if you put that much thought into an avatar, you're too concerned with the mere potential of offending someone. It's not my job to determine how you or anyone else may respond to something I post or say unless I'm doing so with the intent to offend someone.

Maybe I should change it to a pentagram or a Flying Spaghetti Monster so I would only potentially offend those persecuted Christians?

• Like 1

I don't put that much thought into an avatar for a message board. In my opinion, if you put that much thought into an avatar, you're too concerned with the mere potential of offending someone. It's not my job to determine how you or anyone else may respond to something I post or say unless I'm doing so with the intent to offend someone.

Maybe I should change it to a pentagram or a Flying Spaghetti Monster so I would only potentially offend those persecuted Christians?

Go for it. I'm a Christian and would find those far less offensive, in fact, not offensive at all.

More Treats! More Treats! More Tr

name='bean-tor' timestamp='1433711795' post='3593011']

This has been a pleasant surprise; I truly had no idea that I was so noticed :blush: especially in the company of such fine folks.

And you should see the cat, sprawled out luxuriously with an apparent attitude of "that's right, lady--bask in my greatness!" :LOL:[/u]

More Treats! More Treats! More Treats!!!

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory
  • Like 1

^ tl;dr lol

^^^^I know what that means now. I learned it the other day when somebody posted it at me. See you can and typically do learn something new every day... :cheers:

I remember that day!

Narps like you I wanted to know, unlike you I already forgot what it means...dang.

Hook a brother up!

^ tl;dr lol

I remember that day!

Narps like you I wanted to know, unlike you I already forgot what it means...dang.

Hook a brother up!

Too long didn't read I believe?... :unsure:
  • Like 1

Actually, what's up with the Himmler thing? Seems a little f***ed to me

It's just a picture of a historical figure. Does everything have to be sending a message?

We don't need to remember him. If he had had his way, families like mine would not be here.

But he didn't and here you are.

What about the axiom "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it"? I'm not glorifying him or what he did, just using a picture I find interesting. tumblr_nkaygaQK0j1uoemp0o1_500.png

It's just a picture of a historical figure. Does everything have to be sending a message?

you put a guy like that in your avatar and it sends a message that you don't care whether people think you're an asshole.

So now I'm an asshole just because I used a prominent Nazi as an avatar? Shouldn't you at least read some of my posts and try to make a more informed decision? Are people so touchy that simply looking at a picture is so objectionable that they label the person using it? What if I had the Piss Christ display? Or maybe they "art" of a picture of Jesus smeared with elephant crap? Would that offend your delicate sensibilities too?

aaaaaaand...CONFIRMED!

I never said that I was offended, only that your avatar makes it clear that you don't care whether people think you're an asshole. this post makes it clear that you don't care whether people think you're a DISINGENUOUS asshole.

at the very least, man, you should own it.

• Like 2

More Treats! More Treats! More Tr

name='bean-tor' timestamp='1433711795' post='3593011']

And you should see the cat, sprawled out luxuriously with an apparent attitude of "that's right, lady--bask in my greatness!" :LOL:[/u]

More Treats! More Treats! More Treats!!!

http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5204037_main_t300x300.jpgGotta have'em... :dweez:
  • Like 1

I think I will give my kitty some treats now that I am back home from a wonderful weekend at Jetty Park beach in Cape Canaveral. While I'm at it I will throw the dogs some too! If it doesn't hurt too much. Damm did I get sunburnt so my lesson of the day is wear SUNBLOCK!!! lol
  • Like 1

We don't need to remember him. If he had had his way, families like mine would not be here.

What about the axiom "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it"? I'm not glorifying him or what he did, just using a picture I find interesting. tumblr_nkaygaQK0j1uoemp0o1_500.png

you put a guy like that in your avatar and it sends a message that you don't care whether people think you're an asshole.

So now I'm an asshole just because I used a prominent Nazi as an avatar? Shouldn't you at least read some of my posts and try to make a more informed decision? Are people so touchy that simply looking at a picture is so objectionable that they label the person using it? What if I had the Piss Christ display? Or maybe they "art" of a picture of Jesus smeared with elephant crap? Would that offend your delicate sensibilities too?

aaaaaaand...CONFIRMED!

I never said that I was offended, only that your avatar makes it clear that you don't care whether people think you're an asshole. this post makes it clear that you don't care whether people think you're a DISINGENUOUS asshole.

I wan't going to post any thing,

But you guys need to lighten up. It is only a picture and I have already talked with him about it. BTW, do you think life would be better off forgetting past evil in the world? And the evil that is now present around the world? It should never be forgotten. Would you bi*** at me for watching a documentary on Hitler?

• Like 3

aaaaaaand...CONFIRMED!

But you guys need to lighten up. It is only a picture and I have already talked with him about it. BTW, do you think life would be better off forgetting past evil in the world? And the evil that is now present around the world? It should never be forgotten. Would you bi*** at me for watching a documentary on Hitler?

I've never heard of anyone using an avatar to represent something they hate. Have you?

This isn't about forgetting evil. I've seen plenty of documentaries on Hitler, I've read Shirer's book and another 900 page biography on him (Toland, maybe?) The thought crossing my mind of using any of these POSs as my avatar is the same as there is that I'll wear a shirt with Che Guevara's picture....zero.

• Like 2

av·a·tar :

1. Hinduism - a manifestation of a deity or released soul in bodily form on earth; an incarnate divine teacher

2. Computing - an icon or figure representing a particular person in computer games, Internet forums, etc

• Like 2

aaaaaaand...CONFIRMED!

I've never heard of anyone using an avatar to represent something they hate. Have you?

This isn't about forgetting evil. I've seen plenty of documentaries on Hitler, I've read Shirer's book and another 900 page biography on him (Toland, maybe?) The thought crossing my mind of using any of these POSs as my avatar is the same as there is that I'll wear a shirt with Che Guevara's picture....zero.

Who cares,

Its only a picture. He has his reasons and your judging some one you don't even know. I despise the Hitler regime just like most. Does that mean they should close the tours at Auschwitz?

• Like 1

av·a·tar :

representing a particular person

Got that covered... :sigh: To be honest this kind of sh*t really doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe it should I don't know...
  • Like 1

you guys need to lighten up..

Agreed

Would you bi*** at me for watching a documentary on Hitler?

No, false analogy :|

Why?

Your splitting hairs.Should an artist who decides to paint this guy because he finds the subject interesting? Should he/she be hated and despised?

Edited by troutman