What Neil REALLY thinks of Rutsey's work..

MMCXII

Someone at the New Orleans show had a large cutout of one of Alex's many ridiculous faces...I immediately thought someone needs to do that with that face Neil made...priceless.
  • Like 2

Like I said before in one of the periscope threads:

Geddy: "We're gonna' play something off our debut album now!"

*Neil puts away a stick..

• Like 7

HAHAHA!! I can picture it lol

I thought a lot about this on my way home from work yesterday. I know you said to not take it to serious and I'm not. I realize the point of the the thread was humor.

But, John was very young when he made the first Rush album. He played like he was young. If he had kept at it he would have improved a lot. He was certainly not a virtuoso in 1974, but he was pretty darn good. I mean listen to the first album. His playing on Working Man and Finding My Way still stand up today. Here Again is played at a tempo that many drummers struggle with. It's hard to play a slow tempo, yet John pulled it off well.

Neil is Neil. Amazing player and probably one of the top drummers in any musical genre today. Very few drummers today can play what Neil does. He deserves the accolades for what he does. But Neil has flaws just like John did. For my money sometimes Neil overplays a song. As they say... less is more. It's easy to be too busy when you have Neil's amazing ability. I think he has fallen into that trap at times. If there is one complaint I have about the most recent Rush albums is Neil is too busy on the drums. The songs, for me, need more room to breathe.

While John could never have played much of the stuff that Neil did with Rush I think Neil has just as difficult a time forcing himself to play as sparsely as John did. Different styles, both great. So in the end, the point of this thread is off base, I think Neil has respect for what John played.

Q: What do you a musician that can't keep time? A: A guitar player! I resemble that...

• Like 2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/40oz_laugh_in_tub.gif

I thought a lot about this on my way home from work yesterday. I know you said to not take it to serious and I'm not. I realize the point of the the thread was humor.

But, John was very young when he made the first Rush album. He played like he was young. If he had kept at it he would have improved a lot. He was certainly not a virtuoso in 1974, but he was pretty darn good. I mean listen to the first album. His playing on Working Man and Finding My Way still stand up today. Here Again is played at a tempo that many drummers struggle with. It's hard to play a slow tempo, yet John pulled it off well.

Neil is Neil. Amazing player and probably one of the top drummers in any musical genre today. Very few drummers today can play what Neil does. He deserves the accolades for what he does. But Neil has flaws just like John did. For my money sometimes Neil overplays a song. As they say... less is more. It's easy to be too busy when you have Neil's amazing ability. I think he has fallen into that trap at times. If there is one complaint I have about the most recent Rush albums is Neil is too busy on the drums. The songs, for me, need more room to breathe.

While John could never have played much of the stuff that Neil did with Rush I think Neil has just as difficult a time forcing himself to play as sparsely as John did. Different styles, both great. So in the end, the point of this thread is off base, I think Neil has respect for what John played.

Q: What do you a musician that can't keep time? A: A guitar player! I resemble that...

If you really dig into Neil's playing early on, it had problems...he overplayed a LOT live..and if you really dig into some of the bootlegs that exist, you can find fault at times....

Rutsey played what he needed on the first album..Neil picked up where he left off, and did some embellishments to his stuff, then started taking it to a different level.

• Like 1

Bill and Jamin nail it. I agree that Neil did tend to overplay some of that debut album stuff earlier on (I think the ATWAS version of What You're Doing has this happening).

I'd be surprised if Neil didn't think John Rutsey was a good drummer for that material.

• Like 1