Heresy and Neurotica

D3strukt

What's up with them not playing these? At least Neurotica, that's a pretty rockin song. I think I made a topic about how I "found" the song a few years ago. I refound it again shortly before the Tampa show. It's a damn good song!

Heresy has a great Vocal melody.

• Like 1

Geddy has mentioned a couple of times in the last few years that he doesn't care for Neurotica. Considering its goofy lyrics, I can't blame him. (It's a pretty good song otherwise.)

Heresy doesn't seem like the sort of track they're typically interested in playing live. It sucks anyway.

• Like 4

That prechorus riff by lifeson is pretty f***ing dope though, no? I mean the chorus kind of sucks. But otherwise it's good.

Heresy has some really good lyrics, on top of a great vocal melody. But it's song structure seems like Neil's attempt to throw in pieces of his drum solo. Isn't that the song where he got the idea for the electronic part? or was that Scars from Presto?

That prechorus riff by lifeson is pretty f***ing dope though, no?

It is.

Heresy has some really good lyrics, on top of a great vocal melody.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Geddy was happy with Heresy. But I imagine the band came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be much of crowd-pleaser live--and if so, I think they were right.

Also, I think there's actually quite a bit of intra-album competition for setlist spots when it comes to Roll the Bones, as there are a number of other tracks that they seem very fond of playing off it (the title track, Dreamline, Bravado, Ghost of a Chance).

• Like 1

I have always liked the chords and bass line in Neurotica. The song has a cool vibeica. It gets goingica quite wellica. Then something happens that makes it weirdica. I have never been quite able to put into wordsica what it isica. But somethingica happensica that kindaica makesica meica notica likeica itica forica someica reasonica asica muchica asica someica ofica theica otherica songica onica theica albumica :huh:
  • Like 6

Two garbage songs off a garbage album...

We weren't talking about 2 randomly chosen songs from Counterparts, so this comment confuses me.

• Like 2

I think Cyclonus got it right...they don't really like Neurotica, probably because of the lyrics, and my guess is that Heresy just wouldn't be a great live song, and some others from around that time already fill up that space...like Bravado or The Pass, both of which the band really likes.
  • Like 1

The song in general sucks..........but the guitar solo in Neurotica is VASTLY underrated.

Mick

Agreed, but sadly one cannot choose to listen to that solo isolated from the rest.

Heresy is OK,but when they sing "crap", it sounds like your nicest auntie trying her best to look tough. I don't like swearing, but the attempt here sounds oh so very lame.

I don't hate the song, but like many of the 90's Rush albums, Heresy, like Neurotics, is a fairly adequate song weakened further by inane lyrics. And with Geddy's vocals always so beautifully pronounced and properly enunciated, if the lyrics are atrocious, there is no way around it.

The song in general sucks..........but the guitar solo in Neurotica is VASTLY underrated.

Mick

Agreed, but sadly one cannot choose to listen to that solo isolated from the rest.

Heresy is OK,but when they sing "crap", it sounds like your nicest auntie trying her best to look tough. I don't like swearing, but the attempt here sounds oh so very lame.

I don't hate the song, but like many of the 90's Rush albums, Heresy, like Neurotics, is a fairly adequate song weakened further by inane lyrics. And with Geddy's vocals always so beautifully pronounced and properly enunciated, if the lyrics are atrocious, there is no way around it.

Interesting, I think Heresy's lyrics are great, and still relevant today. Unlike, for example, any songs from Toto.

• Like 3

All around that dull grey world

From Moscow to Berlin

People storm the barricades

Walls go tumbling in

The counter-revolution

People smiling through their tears

Who can give them back their lives

And all those wasted years?

All those precious wasted years

Who will pay?

All around that dull grey world

Of ideology

People storm the marketplace

And buy up fantasy

The counter-revolution

At the counter of a store

People buy the things they want

And borrow for a little more

All those wasted years

Who will pay?

Do we have to be forgiving at last?

What else can we do?

Do we have to say goodbye to the past?

Yes I guess we do

All around this great big world

All the crap we had to take

Bombs and basement fallout shelters

All our lives at stake

The bloody revolution

All the warheads in its wake

All the fear and suffering

All a big mistake

All those wasted years

Who will pay?

These aren't bad lyrics people. They're on the same level as Open Secrets, IMO. I love Open Secrets BTW, great song.

• Like 5

The beauty of not being a native English speaker is that I'm not that bothered by allegedly crappy lyrics. Neurotica is a great song in my book - great riffs and solo from Alex. Heresy is not my cup of tea though.

Mick

Interesting, I think Heresy's lyrics are great, and still relevant today. Unlike, for example, any songs from Toto.

Toto and Rush are two very different bands, offering music for very different needs.

An absolutely rubbish comparison.

• Like 2

Mick

Toto and Rush are two very different bands, offering music for very different needs.

Yes, in comparing Toto to a good band, you can see that they are rubbish.

• Like 1

Mick

Toto are a great AOR band, and in many ways they are my preferred of the two.

I love Rush, but my favourite Toto albums mean more to me than the entire discography of Rush.

• Like 1

Mick

Toto are a great AOR band, and in many ways they are my preferred of the two.

I love Rush, but my favourite Toto albums mean more to me than the entire discography of Rush.

One of the many reasons the world is an interesting place.

Its worth remembering that Toto have sold around five million albums less than Rush.

And not every person would even agree that Rush are a good band.

So whatever ones think of another's taste, there is always someone else looking at you thinking even they know better.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

You know what I like? I really really like Duran Duran.

I do too. And Spandau Ballet, Flock Of Seagulls, The Police and Bon Jovi.

If anyone thinks they are superior in taste, good for you but my opinions remain the same.

• Like 2

Thanks to this topic, I´m listening to Roll the Bones in full at work today. I take it for what it is, and enjoy it quite a lot!

Funy enough, a lot of people think RTB is Rush playing safe. I think it´s the exact opposite: a band betting on themselves and releasing an album of new material, in a time when a lot of other bands were confused with the new state of things in the music business and started to bet on live albums and compilations. Think of how many bands went down that route at the time: Kiss (Alive IV), Iron Maiden (A Real Live One, A Real Dead One, Live at Donnington), AC/DC (AC/DC Live), Van Halen (Live Right Here Right Now). Many other less expressive acts fell apart with the rise of grunge, but not Rush, who stuck to their guns and kept releasing new and interesting music during that period.

Thanks to this topic, I´m listening to Roll the Bones in full at work today. I take it for what it is, and enjoy it quite a lot!

Funy enough, a lot of people think RTB is Rush playing safe. I think it´s the exact opposite: a band betting on themselves and releasing an album of new material, in a time when a lot of other bands were confused with the new state of things in the music business and started to bet on live albums and compilations. Think of how many bands went down that route at the time: Kiss (Alive IV), Iron Maiden (A Real Live One, A Real Dead One, Live at Donnington), AC/DC (AC/DC Live), Van Halen (Live Right Here Right Now). Many other less expressive acts fell apart with the rise of grunge, but not Rush, who stuck to their guns and kept releasing new and interesting music during that period.

And it reversed a decade long slide in album sales and got the band on the radio in a big way for the first time in almost as long.

• Like 1