What's your favorite bass Geddy uses for R40?

DirkPrattLerxst

It had it's purpose to sound farty. Wasn't too bad on Hold Your Fire but on Presto it was quite gaseous. :D

Then Ged must've been playing the Wal incredibly wrong on Presto and Roll The Bones. :P

It had it's purpose to sound farty. Wasn't too bad on Hold Your Fire but on Presto it was quite gaseous. :D

Then Ged must've been playing the Wal incredibly wrong on Presto and Roll The Bones. :P

Nothing wrong with a Wal but direct they have a very "modern" sound, which to me suits jazz or fusion more than it suits Rush music.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with a Wal but direct they have a very "modern" sound, which to me suits jazz or fusion more than it suits Rush music.

Modern yeah, it does have a modern sound. Which is probably why it suits well for Justin Chancellor and the Tool stuff, cause that's "modern" rock/metal at its finest.

Modern yeah, it does have a modern sound. Which is probably why it suits well for Justin Chancellor and the Tool stuff, cause that's "modern" rock/metal at its finest.

Except that Chancellors tone is all effects. You'd never know what kind of bass he uses from all the stuff he runs the signal through.

For me it would be the Jazz with the rosewood board. That is my favorite kind of bass. Has a Rick and a Steinberger in the past and never warmed up to the tone. Geddy gets a great sound with the 4001 but I like his jazz sound better
  • Like 1

For me it would be the Jazz with the rosewood board. That is my favorite kind of bass. Has a Rick and a Steinberger in the past and never warmed up to the tone. Geddy gets a great sound with the 4001 but I like his jazz sound better

I wish they made a Geddy Signature with a rosewood option, I too prefer it but I have been playing my Geddy so long the maple is growing on me

Maybe after this tour Fender will release some more custom options on the USA Geddy, I saw pictures of their tech painting different colors however Black is still the only option available

If they did a seafoam green one I bet it would sell like hotcakes.

• Like 1

I believe it is Red that I saw in the custom shop photo .... Sea Foam Green or White would be AWESOME, love the looks of both of those .... A white one with a burgundy pearloid pickguard and a rosewood fretboard would be my top choice

I wish they made a Geddy Signature with a rosewood option, I too prefer it but I have been playing my Geddy so long the maple is growing on me

Until this year a Geddy Lee rosewood would be a lie.

Except that Chancellors tone is all effects. You'd never know what kind of bass he uses from all the stuff he runs the signal through.

That's a good point, he does have a huge rack of pedals which greatly affects the tone. But in the rare instance (i.e. a passage in Rosetta Stoned) where I can hear Chancellor's dry signal (or the closest to a "clean" tone) off the Wal the tone doesn't sound remotely close to or as farty as the Presto/RTB era bass sound. Might also have to do with the fact that he plays with a pick as oppose to Geddy's one finger style of playing.

That's a good point, he does have a huge rack of pedals which greatly affects the tone. But in the rare instance (i.e. a passage in Rosetta Stoned) where I can hear Chancellor's dry signal (or the closest to a "clean" tone) off the Wal the tone doesn't sound remotely close to or as farty as the Presto/RTB era bass sound. Might also have to do with the fact that he plays with a pick as oppose to Geddy's one finger style of playing.

Sure, that would make a big difference, at least in attack and higher end tone.

• Like 1

The 4080 Jetglo Doubleneck. I read somewhere that he actually went to the R&RHOF last year and took it off the wall! Way to go, Ged! :7up:

Close second: the 4080 Fireglo Doubleneck.... The fact that he actually has 2 on the road is mind boggling!!! Never thought I'd see the day..... :sundog: :geddy:

• Like 2

On the topic of the doublenecks, has he played the JetGlo (black) one yet? I've only seen video and pics of the sunburst one.

Yeah he did. It was at one of the last couple of shows. Maybe Dallas?

• Like 1

On the topic of the doublenecks, has he played the JetGlo (black) one yet? I've only seen video and pics of the sunburst one.

Yeah he did. It was at one of the last couple of shows. Maybe Dallas?

SPOILER (in an abundance of caution)

He played it in Houston for Red Barchetta. Don't think I saw it in Austin. Cause, you know, I was looking for it.

My fave has to be the double neck, just 'cause I never thought I'd get to see it live. Even on the R30 tour, when Alex pulled out his Gibson double neck, Geddy abstained.

My vote for weirdest has to go to the pair of Thunderbirds. Just so strange to see Geddy with a Thunderbird strapped on!

• Like 1

My fave has to be the double neck, just 'cause I never thought I'd get to see it live. Even on the R30 tour, when Alex pulled out his Gibson double neck, Geddy abstained.

My vote for weirdest has to go to the pair of Thunderbirds. Just so strange to see Geddy with a Thunderbird strapped on!

Yeah I would agree. Who would have EVER thought he'd be playing something like that. I have thought over the years that it was odd that he rarely played anything but the one or two basses but it's like all of the sudden he's got bass GAS! (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

• Like 3