The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

It's a shame that you have to take these bands as a whole from this vantage point instead of growing up with them and getting them piecemeal.

The two of you have missed out on an advantage. In my opinion. It's a pity, and I think it's awful that 99% of those here take all of this old music out of the context of the time it first appeared and judge it by today's standards. It's not fair to the music or to the band.

I understand what you mean, but to me, bands like Fleetwood Mac and ABBA are so entwined with my whole life and upbringing, it feels less like music of the past and more like the soundtrack to my life.

I am too young to have experienced these records first hand, but I also don't feel like these are records of somebody else's past.

• Like 1

Ok Segue i was waiting for you to finish before i commented.

For the most i agree with you. Save for Little Lies. Which is a ten out of ten for me. I also agree it's an ABBA record.....but this is done better then ABBA......and before you say a word. I'm VERY familliar with ABBA'S work. Aunt's a big Fan.

I'm SOOOOOO glad you like When I See You Again. the vocal is beaten and broken but it Works.

And you And I Is AWESOME......i don't care what anyone says.

it's basically A Chris Lindsey album. With Stevie sorta there. but damn i love this record.

My 2nd fav of this Mac era.

Mick

I know you don't like ABBA as much as me, but this album is pretty soulless bar Stevie's last song. ABBA had more inventive melodies, more contagious wordplay, and cleaner production. Compare a song like Little Lies to Lay All Your Love On Me, sorry, it sucks. Mystified to Me And I. Everywhere to Eagle. This is one of the better attempts at an ABBA style pop album, but for me it works best when Lindsey is going nuts (Big Love and Tango In The Night), or when Stevie let's it all out.

Christine McVie shines very brightly here, and despite the ABBA comparisons, I feel that has more to do with the production than her actual songwriting.

Respect Segue. I know you love ABBA and i know what it's like being colored by love of something. ABBA never clicked with me........and you know what it is. oh you'll hate me. it's the vocals. Man oh man do ABBA vocals kill me. Great pop songwriting though. no denying.

Mick

• Like 1

context is interesting historically, but it shouldn't have anything to do with what ultimately matters in music, which is, does the listener dig the sound.

I can recognize that if this was 1966, cream and the kinks would probably be my favorite bands. but it's not 1966, and cream doesn't turn me on the way the first led zep does, or the first blue cheer. I wouldn't trust someone who claimed to love everything that was influential.

• Like 1

Ok Segue i was waiting for you to finish before i commented.

For the most i agree with you. Save for Little Lies. Which is a ten out of ten for me. I also agree it's an ABBA record.....but this is done better then ABBA......and before you say a word. I'm VERY familliar with ABBA'S work. Aunt's a big Fan.

I'm SOOOOOO glad you like When I See You Again. the vocal is beaten and broken but it Works.

And you And I Is AWESOME......i don't care what anyone says.

it's basically A Chris Lindsey album. With Stevie sorta there. but damn i love this record.

My 2nd fav of this Mac era.

Mick

I know you don't like ABBA as much as me, but this album is pretty soulless bar Stevie's last song. ABBA had more inventive melodies, more contagious wordplay, and cleaner production. Compare a song like Little Lies to Lay All Your Love On Me, sorry, it sucks. Mystified to Me And I. Everywhere to Eagle. This is one of the better attempts at an ABBA style pop album, but for me it works best when Lindsey is going nuts (Big Love and Tango In The Night), or when Stevie let's it all out.

Christine McVie shines very brightly here, and despite the ABBA comparisons, I feel that has more to do with the production than her actual songwriting.

Respect Segue. I know you love ABBA and i know what it's like being colored by love of something. ABBA never clicked with me........and you know what it is. oh you'll hate me. it's the vocals. Man oh man do ABBA vocals kill me. Great pop songwriting though. no denying.

Mick

In my honest opinion, ABBA had the greatest vocals of all time. But it is all good, I know a few who find them overbearing!

context is interesting historically, but it shouldn't have anything to do with what ultimately matters in music, which is, does the listener dig the sound.

I can recognize that if this was 1966, cream and the kinks would probably be my favorite bands. but it's not 1966, and cream doesn't turn me on the way the first led zep does, or the first blue cheer. I wouldn't trust someone who claimed to love everything that was influential.

Exactly. I don't buy into the whole "you had to be there to know". Well, a lot of great bands exist today, old people are here to know. Why are they not fussed?

I bow to your wisdom and expertise.

• Like 2

Currently playing Heroes Are Hard To Find. A far more impressive and musically gripping album than Tango. I like this one...Come A Little Bit Closer is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard, it is a shame it has been so overlooked!

I do agree to a point about some aspects of needing to be there, some of the sixties bands I feel would win me over a hell of a lot faster if I could see them in their prime in the clubs!

• Like 1

I chose to read that in an incredibly smartass tone, but I still like you :LOL:

• Like 1

Mick, we should be the new Siskel and Ebert and start doing commentaries on albums like this haha!
  • Like 1

I grew up with Music. my first formed memory is Hearing Rubber Soul and saying WOW. this is speaking to me. by this point i have a fairly large musical mind. And i still FEEL a deep warmth and connection with these old records. When i put a classic on......feel like i'm there. I wasn't born then but i can feel their weight influence and importance. Some is dated. it's a hard task to make music that doesn't date in some form. but it does not lessen my respect and admiration for the work put in and the reward given out.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I grew up with Music. my first formed memory is Hearing Rubber Soul and saying WOW. this is speaking to me. by this point i have a fairly large musical mind. And i still FEEL a deep warmth and connection with these old records. When i put a classic on......feel like i'm there. I wasn't born then but i can feel their weight influence and importance. Some is dated. it's a hard task to make music that doesn't date in some form. but it does not lessen my respect and admiration for the work put in and the reward given out.

Mick

I find myself talking about Springsteen and Fleetwood Mac like I was there. And I think of ABBA and their history as my youth. They were alive, because I obsessed over them.

• Like 1

Mick

I find myself talking about Springsteen and Fleetwood Mac like I was there. And I think of ABBA and their history as my youth. They were alive, because I obsessed over them.

And new generations will discover this stuff. We keep the music alive.

with every play of an album.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I personally find most music today ages more in two months than many classic album after decades!

Songs In The Key Of Life is one. Timeless, the likes of Justin Timberlake try to make music as of its time but still timeless today, and yet, they never succeed. Stevie Wonder effortlessly wrote music, and it never aged a day.

To much is designed today, little feels inspired.

Mick

Mick

I personally find most music today ages more in two months than many classic album after decades!

Songs In The Key Of Life is one. Timeless, the likes of Justin Timberlake try to make music as of its time but still timeless today, and yet, they never succeed. Stevie Wonder effortlessly wrote music, and it never aged a day.

And Nothing angers me more then putting on..oh say.....Permanent Waves for a young one.

and they say

"ew.........where's my Keisha.

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

And Nothing angers me more then putting on..oh say.....Permanent Waves for a young one.

and they say

Mick

I love Tik Tok...

• Like 1

And it is spelt Ke$ha!

GET IT RIGHT!!

Edited by Segue Myles

Mick

Mick

and they say

Mick

I love Tik Tok...

you would........ya pop lovin' sugar ball :laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

and they say

Mick

I love Tik Tok...

you would........ya pop lovin' sugar ball :laughing guy:

Mick

Rush have their metal fans, their new wave fans, their prog fans, their Broadway fans...

Then they have me!

• Like 2

Let me try this again.

I didn't mean you had to be there when it came out.

What I mean is that the albums are being judged by the standards of today and all the music that has come out since.

It is like taking something someone said in 1969, or 1974, and judging that person by how we think today.

Am I making any sense?

• Like 1

I get looks when i say.

I dig Rush.......but ya got to check out the Score to Carousel Dude............wait uh.....Where you Going Narps??? :laughing guy:

Mick

Oklahoma for me...and Seven Brides For Seven Brothers...

...and also Moulin Rouge...

...and Calamity Jane...

...let us not forget Mary Poppins now...

...or Disney's Tarzan lol!

• Like 1

Let me try this again.

What I mean is that the albums are being judged by the standards of today and all the music that has come out since.

It is like taking something someone said in 1969, or 1974, and judging that person by how we think today.

Am I making any sense?

On definitely...

Don't worry...let's hug!

• Like 2

Let me try this again.

Am I making any sense?

oh yeah. and we're saying that we can put ourselves in the shoes (ears?) of someone who was there when it came out and appreciate this and that ("oh, this was pretty out there for 1963" or whatever), but it's hard as someone who really wasn't there to not judge something for simply what it is. I've been up for a very long time so I might sound stupid.

to me, a true test of the best shit is when you listen to something old and you can't think of any examples of anyone trying it later on and doing it better. close to the edge is a good example that we both might agree on. back to cream again, I dig cream more than anyone I know in real life, but when I hear them it just makes me wanna listen to early led zeppelin, blue cheer, black sabbath, even grand funk. although I can recognize that the guys in cream were more innovative and a tighter group than grand funk, grand funk around 69-71 just sounds cooler to me because I like fuzzy, loud shit.

• Like 3

Let me try this again.

Am I making any sense?

Oh i get it i most certainly do.

I wasn't shootin' you down. :hug2:

Mick

• Like 2