DISCUSS! Bands you like more than Rush...

Segue Myles

(For the sake of this thread I'm going with "band" = "recording artist" :) )

I don't really have a hierarchy at the top, but there are a few artists who have persisted over time with me and have had my focus for stretches of my life. Rush is for sure one of them. David Bowie most definitely. Queen has emerged as one over the past few years. Once I start thinking about it I start making compelling arguments for Genesis, Yes, or any number of punk or new wave bands from the late 70's and early 80's, The Who! I could go on and on. I think with music I am polyamorous, I can't imagine loving one thing to the exclusion of all others. ;)

I think one common thread for me is that all of these musicians are willing to try different things, and go in different directions. I never cared much for the Stones, they always sounded the same to me. How can you be writing the same riff fifty years later? Doesn't make sense to my ears. So even when they fail trying I can appreciate the ones who try to reinvent and challenge themselves.

There's a band called Karnivool that has 2 albums out (Themata and Sound Awake) which to me are every bit as good as anything from Rush. Some say Karnivool sounds similar to Tool, but I wouldn't know because I've never heard anything from Tool at all. If Karnivool could keep cranking out albums as good as those first two, they could by my 2nd Rush.

And a shout out to the reference to Fair to Midland... another great band with unfortunately too little output or airplay.

• Like 1

There's a band called Karnivool that has 2 albums out (Themata and Sound Awake) which to me are every bit as good as anything from Rush. Some say Karnivool sounds similar to Tool, but I wouldn't know because I've never heard anything from Tool at all. If Karnivool could keep cranking out albums as good as those first two, they could by my 2nd Rush.

And a shout out to the reference to Fair to Midland... another great band with unfortunately too little output or airplay.

Karnivool have another album called Asymmetry. I have it here on loan from a friend and this copy has a live DVD as well. They are good - I saw them a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

Without a doubt Kansas . It is sad that they didn't survive past 1980 but what a amazing band. Don't get me wrong Rush still rocks like no other but Kansas just makes me melt . I love them ( and Rush too )
  • Like 3

Without a doubt Kansas . It is sad that they didn't survive past 1980 but what a amazing band. Don't get me wrong Rush still rocks like no other but Kansas just makes me melt . I love them ( and Rush too )

O MY DAYS I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY!

Overall Rush have had the better career, but based on Kansas' seventies run, A LOT BETTER THAN RUSH! I quite enjoy the odd post 1980 release (Drastic Measures comes to mind), but nothing come close to matching their glory years.

• Like 1

Overall Rush have had the better career, but based on Kansas' seventies run, A LOT BETTER THAN RUSH! I quite enjoy the odd post 1980 release (Drastic Measures comes to mind), but nothing come close to matching their glory years.

Kansas 70's run as a whole pile drives 70's rush. As a whole mind you.

Mick

Mick

What do you mean by "pile drives"?

Mick

lol. it's a wrestling move. But i do overall enjoy 70's Kansas more.

but rush still has Hemispheres.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Masque, Leftoverture, Point Of Know Return, Caress Of Steel, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres: three albums by each band, in one decade, rated 9-10/10.

But the rest of Kansas work that decade bests the rest of Rush that decade. But my favourites of each band are fairly equal.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Masque, Leftoverture, Point Of Know Return, Caress Of Steel, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres: three albums by each band, in one decade, rated 9-10/10.

But the rest of Kansas work that decade bests the rest of Rush that decade. But my favourites of each band are fairly equal.

This is why I paid no attention to Rush in the seventies (and the songs aired on the FM did nothing to whet my appetite for Rush). The seventies were jammed with exceptional bands and albums.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

This is why I paid no attention to Rush in the seventies (and the songs aired on the FM did nothing to whet my appetite for Rush). The seventies were jammed with exceptional bands and albums.

Amen Lorraine.

Rush was a part of a big wheel.

Shit........did i say Big Wheel

LOOKING FOR LOOOOVE!!!!!!!!

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

I agree, I love music from every decade since the start of rock n roll, but the seventies was an amazing time for talent, which is surprising when you look at the state of the disco era!

Nearly every band I discover from the seventies that gets recommended to me by someone here blows me away. It was a decade I feel very much at home with. I love the eighties, but not always for the right reasons!

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Amen Lorraine.

Rush was a part of a big wheel.

Shit........did i say Big Wheel

LOOKING FOR LOOOOVE!!!!!!!!

Mick

Earl?

• Like 1

It's different now looking back. But being on the scene, I was still listening to Quadrophenia. Then Elton John and his Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album. Aja. Frampton Comes Alive. Boston. Kansas. Aerosmith. AC/DC.

They kept coming. One new band after another.

It's different now looking back. But being on the scene, I was still listening to Quadrophenia. Then Elton John and his Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album. Aja. Frampton Comes Alive. Boston. Kansas. Aerosmith. AC/DC.

Some of the underdogs were great as well: Trillion, Starcastle, Angel...yes...an amazing decade. One reason I read somewhere for why Trillion's debut album flopped is not because it wasn't great, or that it wasn't cool, but because the rock scene was inundated with an extortionate number of great bands, the sad outcome being that many great acts would never quite break through (I wonder how different it could have been if the music stayed the same, but the internet was available, and new music was easier to find!). Trillion recorded a better debut than Foreigner or Toto. Sadly, events surrounding its release ledd to it never quite making the big splash many predicted it would have.

Some of the underdogs were great as well: Trillion, Starcastle, Angel...yes...an amazing decade. One reason I read somewhere for why Trillion's debut album flopped is not because it wasn't great, or that it wasn't cool, but because the rock scene was inundated with an extortionate number of great bands, the sad outcome being that many great acts would never quite break through (I wonder how different it could have been if the music stayed the same, but the internet was available, and new music was easier to find!). Trillion recorded a better debut than Foreigner or Toto. Sadly, events surrounding its release ledd to it never quite making the big splash many predicted it would have.

I forgot to mention Foreigner. Loved them too.

I have no idea who Trillion is.

But what I wanted to say....I'll just write you a pm 'cause it won't go over well here if I post it. :)

• Like 1

70's Rush was kind of basic bar band compared to groups like Kansas or ELP who were much more accomplished musicians and could play circles around Geddy, Alex and Neil.
  • Like 5

I forgot to mention Foreigner. Loved them too.

I have no idea who Trillion is.

But what I wanted to say....I'll just write you a pm 'cause it won't go over well here if I post it. :)

Trillion...i wish i could send a playable link!

And I adore Foreigner a massive amount!

70's Rush was kind of basic bar band compared to groups like Kansas or ELP who were much more accomplished musicians and could play circles around Geddy, Alex and Neil.

And their is no shame in that.

ELP! O my...that debut is scrumptious!

How could I forget Emerson Lake and Palmer? I loved them!!

Another band whose work I bought on a whim...I have two albums so far and enjoy them both very much!