I need a drink

lerxt1990

But I find it diminished strategy and one dimensional and increasingly more boring than it used to be. .

There's orders of magnitude more strategy and complexity to the game than there was in the 70s (and even 80s and 90s).

Yes, as long as you like passing and sending ten receivers out in pattern. This is the first football era of this magnitude. More complex in one dimension= snooooze.

But I find it diminished strategy and one dimensional and increasingly more boring than it used to be. .

There's orders of magnitude more strategy and complexity to the game than there was in the 70s (and even 80s and 90s).

Yes, as long as you like passing and sending ten receivers out in pattern. This is the first football era of this magnitude. More complex in one dimension= snooooze.

Wrong. The running game is integral, thus "beast mode" and all that. A one-dimensional team is a losing team.
  • Like 1

Not even Belicheat could get away with sending ten receivers out on the same play.

Intersting how NFL does nothing about the health of the RB, huge double standard, as its not a glam job no more. Used to be a much better sport when we had more HOF RBs.

Well, a couple more things.

First off, running backs are in a different position (no pun intended) than receivers or QBs. They're usually stockier, and they're able to prepare for contact pretty much from the instant they touch the ball. As opposed to a QB or WR who is often concentrating on something else (waiting for a receiver to come free, catching the ball) when they get hit.

And in a related vein, the game's different than when OJ Simpson or Tony Dorsett played. The players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Send Polamalu back in time to the 70s and he'd, literally, kill players.

Messers Backer and Goose,

You are certainly aware starting RBs these days barely last 5-6 years, and we have been stuck watching Manning and Brady for over 15 ? RBs can prepare for the contact all they want but they still are getting run out of the league, and the nfl could care less. Pun intended.

And Mr G (.oose), losing your QB and tanking your season is precisely my point. It's supposed to be a team game, but as you indirectly pointed out, it surely is not.

Best comparison I got is hockey, where the goalie is a huge position. Teams that have elite goalies have a huge advantage. But if a goalie gets hurt, it is not a stretch for the backup to be decent and the team stay very competitive.

NFL players are bigger and stronger, but that doesn't matter much because the NFL has turned into a dart throwing competition.

Most folks love it. But I find it diminished strategy and one dimensional and increasingly more boring than it used to be. And most of the teams are playing with a tanked season.

Edit...I missed the Polamalu comment...

Put him back in the 70s and his strength would be more comparative to the players of his time. His strength is a result of the workout regimen, knowledge and technology of his time.

Regarding Polamalu, you made my point. I'm not talking about a proportional player. I'm saying that in the 70s they didn't have D backs his size and speed. That's basically true at every position. The 72 Dolphins would get blown out by the 15 Jaguars.

• Like 1

And Mr G (.oose), losing your QB and tanking your season is precisely my point. It's supposed to be a team game, but as you indirectly pointed out, it surely is not.

It's a team game, but a star industry. The NFL - like all pro sports - is an entertainment industry. Period.

That said, I prefer the way it used to be. I'm nostalgic for the late 70's dynasties, the grinding play, the slower paced game. But I'm in the minority.

Intersting how NFL does nothing about the health of the RB, huge double standard, as its not a glam job no more. Used to be a much better sport when we had more HOF RBs.

First off, running backs are in a different position (no pun intended) than receivers or QBs. They're usually stockier, and they're able to prepare for contact pretty much from the instant they touch the ball. As opposed to a QB or WR who is often concentrating on something else (waiting for a receiver to come free, catching the ball) when they get hit.

And in a related vein, the game's different than when OJ Simpson or Tony Dorsett played. The players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Send Polamalu back in time to the 70s and he'd, literally, kill players.

You are certainly aware starting RBs these days barely last 5-6 years, and we have been stuck watching Manning and Brady for over 15 ? RBs can prepare for the contact all they want but they still are getting run out of the league, and the nfl could care less. Pun intended.

Best comparison I got is hockey, where the goalie is a huge position. Teams that have elite goalies have a huge advantage. But if a goalie gets hurt, it is not a stretch for the backup to be decent and the team stay very competitive.

NFL players are bigger and stronger, but that doesn't matter much because the NFL has turned into a dart throwing competition.

Most folks love it. But I find it diminished strategy and one dimensional and increasingly more boring than it used to be. And most of the teams are playing with a tanked season.

Put him back in the 70s and his strength would be more comparative to the players of his time. His strength is a result of the workout regimen, knowledge and technology of his time.

Regarding Polamalu, you made my point. I'm not talking about a proportional player. I'm saying that in the 70s they didn't have D backs his size and speed. That's basically true at every position. The 72 Dolphins would get blown out by the 15 Jaguars.

Bigger, faster, stronger...and smarter.

Bigger faster stronger...sure, better living through chemistry.

Smarter? Don't count on it. I saw enough 2014 Jag games to discount that.

Bigger faster stronger...sure, better living through chemistry.

Smarter? Don't count on it. I saw enough 2014 Jag games to discount that.

I have a feeling that they will improve greatly this year.

Flyers - Toilet

Phillies - Toilet

76ers - Toilet and designed to be in bottom of bowl

Eagles - Just signed Tebow.

It hhas never been this tough to be a fan here for decades.

Go ahead, share your tale of woe. The look at above, and realize you probably have it better.

F-ck!

GOD I LOVE YOUR TITLE! To bad the Eagles and Raiders will never win one! HAHAHAHAHA!!! At least my Raiders beat your Eagles in the Superbowl!