New Neil Peart news update

That One Guy

it 'd be nice if he didn't make touring out to be so brutal. Its what brought fame and fortune to Rush. Also kept him in touch with so many of his lifelong friends n family around the continent over the decades, which is challenging for so many of us tied to a local job.

75 days on the road over a nearly thousand day period ain't too shabby.

His writing is awesome! Not to mention that drumming.

The guys paid their dues on the road when they started out, I watched BLTS a while ago and listening to them talk about their touring schedule, sleeping on their guitar cases etc. Hard way to make a living. So now they have it a lot better but doesn't mean it is always easy. :NP:

So glad I am going to get to see them on this tour :guitar: :yay:

• Like 1

Wonder if he'll ride between gigs this time.

He won't if he's smart

Kind of like been there, done that. Maybe he'll have the wife and kid meet up with him from time to time.

Wonder if he'll ride between gigs this time.

He won't if he's smart

Kind of like been there, done that. Maybe he'll have the wife and kid meet up with him from time to time.

I doubt if, Neil hates to have his worlds collide ;)

He talks about the time spent away from his family but he doesn't really live in the same world us the rest of us, after all it's just a few months of the year touring making a huge salary and then the rest of the time is his own,

So because he is wealthy, time spent away from his family is somehow less meaningful? So because he is wealthy, the rigors of touring aren't as real? So because he is wealthy, he is magically not really 62 years old, has not already played more than 2,200 concerts over 25 tours, and did not once lose his daughter and wife in a matter of months?

I am going to flip the whole "Neil doesn't live in our world" thing..... here's a thought.... we don't live in Neil's world. We don't have 40 years worth of various police reports regarding mentally imbalanced fans who do and say scary things. We don't have entire internet forums dedicated to our work, but where on those forums fans regularly bash a good portion of our work, our thoughts, and even our personality (yet rarely do the same to the other members of the band). We don't have hordes of people telling us what we should do with our lives, demanding that we tour, or record, or play certain songs because the hordes of people ridiculously believe we owe them something.

The reward of fame is indeed wealth. But that wealth does come with a heavy price.... the loss of privacy, constant scrutiny, and even a degree of bullying from fans.

So, again, given all of *that*, really, I am a bit surprised he did come out for one more tour. But, truly, if it was me, I would have hung it up long, long ago. The fact that *all three* of these guys are willing to do this one more time just proves that they are better men than most of us.

• Like 6

He talks about the time spent away from his family but he doesn't really live in the same world us the rest of us, after all it's just a few months of the year touring making a huge salary and then the rest of the time is his own,

So because he is wealthy, time spent away from his family is somehow less meaningful? So because he is wealthy, the rigors of touring aren't as real? So because he is wealthy, he is magically not really 62 years old, has not already played more than 2,200 concerts over 25 tours, and did not once lose his daughter and wife in a matter of months?

I am going to flip the whole "Neil doesn't live in our world" thing..... here's a thought.... we don't live in Neil's world. We don't have 40 years worth of various police reports regarding mentally imbalanced fans who do and say scary things. We don't have entire internet forums dedicated to our work, but where on those forums fans regularly bash a good portion of our work, our thoughts, and even our personality (yet rarely do the same to the other members of the band). We don't have hordes of people telling us what we should do with our lives, demanding that we tour, or record, or play certain songs because the hordes of people ridiculously believe we owe them something.

The reward of fame is indeed wealth. But that wealth does come with a heavy price.... the loss of privacy, constant scrutiny, and even a degree of bullying from fans.

So, again, given all of *that*, really, I am a bit surprised he did come out for one more tour. But, truly, if it was me, I would have hung it up long, long ago. The fact that *all three* of these guys are willing to do this one more time just proves that they are better men than most of us.

Very well said. People have a tendency to put their heroes up on pedestals and think they're better human beings but honestly Neil is just a guy that plays drums, likes to ride his motorcycle and read books...etc. He doesn't owe us anything. No more than a plumber who spent 40 years at his job and wants to retire. Just because he's been in the public eye, some fans seem to feel that they own him or the other guys in the band.

• Like 2

Lol at the apologists ITT. Neil was chomping at the bit to be recognized as a rock artist for quite a while. He knew the environment he was getting into, but eventually decided he wanted his cake and eat it too.

And btw, yes, he does owe us...and himself...and Alex&Geddy..and Rush.

:goodone:

I wonder how people's reactions to Neil's blog posts would differ if he titled his posts "Things Neil Feels Like Talking About That Have Nothing At All To Do With Rush"?

Lol at the apologists ITT. Neil was chomping at the bit to be recognized as a rock artist for quite a while. He knew the environment he was getting into, but eventually decided he wanted his cake and eat it too.

It must be awful to have such a negative outlook on life.

• Like 2

If u refuse to see the truth in something, that is a negative outlook.

There is no such thing as an absolute truth. Neil said he never thought of doing the things that fans do to him (chasing him around, death threats..etc.). I don't think anyone really has an idea of what celebrity entails until it happens to them. A lot of artistic types are introverted and find it hard to deal with being in the public eye. That's why there's so much drug addiction and deaths with the poor individuals who succumb to it.

• Like 3

There is no such thing as an absolute truth. Neil said he never thought of doing the things that fans do to him (chasing him around, death threats..etc.). I don't think anyone really has an idea of what celebrity entails until it happens to them. A lot of artistic types are introverted and find it hard to deal with being in the public eye.

He's hypocritical and often hides behind the misunderstood/shy/introverted guise so many of u buy into when he really just can't be bothered. He is selectively antisocial.

"There is no such thing as an absolute truth." You're absolutely sure that statement is true? It seems like a pretty absolutist assertion ;) . I'm an engineer and I used to fly; if I didn't trust in many absolutes being absolutely repeatable, I wouldn't have had/wouldn't have much faith in the effectiveness and predictability of my actions. Not picking, just observing.
  • Like 2

"There is no such thing as an absolute truth." You're absolutely sure that statement is true? It seems like a pretty absolutist assertion ;) . I'm an engineer and I used to fly; if I didn't trust in many absolutes being absolutely repeatable, I wouldn't have had/wouldn't have much faith in the effectiveness and predictability of my actions. Not picking, just observing.

I meant in regards to Neil.

• Like 1