Boston Thread

Bigbobby10

I like Boston.

Not sure why I don't love them, but meh...Gimme a week

I have a good friend,

That hates them. Big age difference but we like a lot of the same bands.

Hate Boston?

Impossible!

• Like 2

In spite of what you might think of Scholz and the whole lawsuit stuff and the bad feelings . . . how can you not love Delp's voice in these tunes? His voice is astonishing. You ever hear him in his Beatles cover band? He did a wicked McCartney.

edit - screwed up my original post and typed "Delp" instead of Scholz - duh.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

In spite of what you might think of Delp and the whole lawsuit stuff and the bad feelings . . . how can you not love Delp's voice in these tunes? His voice is astonishing. You ever hear him in his Beatles cover band? He did a wicked McCartney.

I know little about this band...only know the music...

What lawsuit? What bad feelings?

Boston flamed out with a lack of creativity and the music all started sounding the same. Classic rock stations also beat it to death so badly I am sick to death of it, but it is damn fine music. I do however appreciate it way more when I'm hammered http://www.shootersloft.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/beers.gif

In spite of what you might think of Delp and the whole lawsuit stuff and the bad feelings . . . how can you not love Delp's voice in these tunes? His voice is astonishing. You ever hear him in his Beatles cover band? He did a wicked McCartney.

In my post above, I typed Delp instead of Scholz - I guess I was getting ahead of myself in my thoughts. Anyhow, the story is pretty well documented, with Scholz not only in a legal dispute with the record company over delivery of the goods, but Scholz also fighting some of the original band members over musical contributions and even album performances. I don't know enough of the story to take any sides, but it does cast a bit of a pall. However, I stand by my view that Delp is the shining light here - by all accounts a great guy with a frigging incredible voice.

• Like 1

In my post above, I typed Delp instead of Scholz - I guess I was getting ahead of myself in my thoughts. Anyhow, the story is pretty well documented, with Scholz not only in a legal dispute with the record company over delivery of the goods, but Scholz also fighting some of the original band members over musical contributions and even album performances. I don't know enough of the story to take any sides, but it does cast a bit of a pall. However, I stand by my view that Delp is the shining light here - by all accounts a great guy with a frigging incredible voice.

Aaah...best to avoid band drama...

I like Boston.

I have a good friend,

Hate Boston?

Impossible!

Well,

I shouldn't say hate but has no love for them. :D

• Like 1

I like Boston.

I have a good friend,

Hate Boston?

Impossible!

Well,

I shouldn't say hate but has no love for them. :D

Most of my friends hate Rush...I forgive them lol! But Boston...how can even the most hip hop obsessed gangsta not just love More Than A Feeling, if nothing else?

They were just here in Palm Beach at Sun Fest. The only reason I wanted to go other than seeing Lenny Kravitz. I had as much fun as I did the first time I saw them at the Capital Centre MD. I think that was 88 or 89 they were working the organs that night.
  • Like 1

Like everyone else I was blown away by the debut.

It really is a remarkable album, especially when you consider the circumstances of it's recording.

I too was fortunate enough to seem them live. It was the early 80's in a double bill with the Scorpions!!!!

Brilliant concert, especially Tom's massive pipe organ. The first album was almost impossible to follow, and they lost a bit of momentum

when it took so long to follow it up.

I wonder if there are any live tapes in Scholtz's archive from the old days? A vintage live Boston album would sell way more than any of their current studio efforts.

Incidentally, Barry Goudreau's solo album is also an absolute cracker.

• Like 2

http://analogkidblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/orion.jpg

I loved this Boston spinoff as well, though it features Fran Cosmo on lead vocals.

Just listened to this again last night! Great album! Ever heard Barry Goudreau's solo album?

• Like 1

http://analogkidblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/orion.jpg

I loved this Boston spinoff as well, though it features Fran Cosmo on lead vocals.

Just listened to this again last night! Great album! Ever heard Barry Goudreau's solo album?

I did....I only seem to remember the first couple of songs. I have to hear it again. Good stuff though. :)

• Like 1

Man, I love the YouTube. This ^^^ is purportedly the demo tape that got Boston their record deal. "Something About You" is heard here as "Life Isn't Easy", and "Hitch a Ride" is in an early incarnation called "San Francisco Day".

1. Rock and Roll Band

2. Life Isn't Easy

3. More Than A Feeling

4. Don't Be Afraid of Love

5. Peace of Mind

6. San Francisco Day

From the video notes:

THE DEMO TAPE THAT GOT THEM THEIR RECORD DEAL. FEATURING JIM MASDEA ON DRUMS, BRAD DELP ON VOCALS AND TOM SCHOLZ ON GUITARS, BASS AND KEY'S. RECORDED FROM 1973 TO 1975 AT TOM'S BASEMENT STUDIO ON SCHOOL STREET IN WATERTOWN MASS. IT'S FASCINATING TO THINK ABOUT WHAT WENT DOWN IN THAT SMALL BASEMENT STUDIO IN AN APARTMENT HOUSE. TOM'S GUITAR SOUND WAS BASICALLY MADE FROM USING AN ATTENUATOR TO KEEP THE VOLUME DOWN ON HIS AMP BUT STILL GET THE FULL TUBE SOUND, ALL SO HE WOULDN'T DISTURB HIS NEIGHBORS UPSTAIRS, THE DRUMS WERE RECORDED IN A WALK IN CLOSET TYPE AREA AND THE DEMO WAS RECORDED USING A MODIFIED SCULLY 12 TRACK RECORDED AND MIXED USING AVID 101 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS POWERED BY A DYNAKIT POWER AMP ON A DAN FLICKENGER MIXING CONSOLE. SHURE SM57 MIC'S WERE USED FOR THE INSTRUMENTS AND AN ELECTRO VOICE RE20 WERE USED FOR VOCALS.

Edited by goose
  • Like 4

June 24, 2014 - A great rockin' show, although the vocals just were not the same without Mr. Delp... All in all, this was an excellent show and I'm glad I was there...'Rock ON!!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/BOSTON%2024June2014/IMG_4852_zpsd2583c13.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/BOSTON%2024June2014/IMG_4914_zps886c4893.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/BOSTON%2024June2014/IMG_4933_zpsca1d5c6d.jpg

Edited by Huge Ackman
  • Like 3