Territories

Lorraine

64 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Territories?

• I just love the song!
    • It's okay.
    • One of the worst songs Rush ever did.

Really cool song, great bass work and some fantastic synth work Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

I'm looking for a good concert version of the song and can't find one. So far, the studio one is the best. There's something about the song that it loses live, and I don't know why that is.

I'll look through what I have. I'm fairly sure of one that it's on (and it's a soundboard source, to boot!)...but I'll have to double check.

A show of hands version was far stronger than the one at the latest tour

I miss the clean live sound of show of hands era

It has been harrash ever since vapor trails, live tracks are so dirty, even old standards like the limelight got whaaahhhh fuzz guitar and fuzzbassss

• Like 1

I do have Territories on a soundboard recording of a show dated 4/16/86, called The Philadelphia Project. Anyone who would like a copy (if you don't have it or have access to it), just send me a message.

A show of hands version was far stronger than the one at the latest tour

I miss the clean live sound of show of hands era

It has been harrash ever since vapor trails, live tracks are so dirty, even old standards like the limelight got whaaahhhh fuzz guitar and fuzzbassss

That's because they were a lot younger and still had the pizazz to do the song with energy.

I do have Territories on a soundboard recording of a show dated 4/16/86, called The Philadelphia Project. Anyone who would like a copy (if you don't have it or have access to it), just send me a message.

I have a bootleg with that date called Visions and Illusions. It must be the same as yours because it says it is a soundboard from The Spectrum.

I thought Territories was great on the power Windows And HYF tours. not so much on the CA tour. it really is a song of it's era and as noted didn't translate well to a beefier sound, IMO. and ged's reduced vocal ability didn't help things.

Mick

• Like 2

Some of the bootlegs I have with that song on it, when I listen to them, it really is enough to make you want to cry.

I think Geddy completely wore himself out by the end of the eighties. How he managed to sound so energetic at every show with the tour schedule they kept back then i have no idea.

• Like 1

Some of the bootlegs I have with that song on it, when I listen to them, it really is enough to make you want to cry.

I think Geddy completely wore himself out by the end of the eighties. How he managed to sound so energetic at every show with the tour schedule they kept back then i have no idea.

I loved both the Pow Windows and HYF tours. They had a unique energy about them.

Mick

• Like 1

I have a bootleg with that date called Visions and Illusions. It must be the same as yours because it says it is a soundboard from The Spectrum.

Indeed...this is why I always go by dates when it comes to live shows, rather than titles. For example, I think there are about ten different titles for the show from Tucson, AZ, 11/20/78. But they're all relatively the same, because they're all the same show. It's kind of maddening!

Anyway, yes, Territories...I love it.

Here I am. All I said was "has there been a poll? . . ."

I too am surprised by the support for Territories. I think I said in the other thread that I think the lyrics present a perspective worth considering. The more we focus on differences and all that. There are a lot of thoughtful lines in the tune. "In different circles we keep holding our ground, indifferent circles we go spinning round and round and round." Good pun there! I might have the indifferent/in different mixed up.

• Like 1

I too am surprised by the support for Territories. I think I said in the other thread that I think the lyrics present a perspective worth considering. The more we focus on differences and all that. There are a lot of thoughtful lines in the tune. "In different circles we keep holding our ground, indifferent circles we go spinning round and round and round." Good pun there! I might have the indifferent/in different mixed up.

Damn. I am not sure I have the intellect to be a Rush fan. I barely pay attention to the majority of the lyrics... :blink:

Right. So the thread was your idea.

But was it a bright idea . . . ?

• Like 1

Another poll idea, right there!

Edited by Blue J

Damn. I am not sure I have the intellect to be a Rush fan. I barely pay attention to the majority of the lyrics... :blink:

But you have good taste and decency. The messages subconsciously confirm what you know.

• Like 1

Another poll idea, right there!

Great! Meta-polls!