Question About Permanent Waves

Lucas

I can recall reading that during the planning stages of Permanent Waves, RUSH were to embark on another epic, full-side song ala 2112 ... If memory serves, Geddy said that this was scrapped - due, in part, to the exhaustion brought on by recording and performing Hemispheres ..

Be that as it may, does anyone know if this epic song was completely shelved, or, was it shortened, perhaps to what we know as Jacob's Ladder, or, even Natural Science ?

BTW - this is my first go at starting a thread !!

• Like 3

I'm one of two official TRF ambassadors for Permanent Waves. You what that means? That means shite, I don't even get an extra copy of a Presto. Anywho I don't know the answer but that is a good question young padawan. I also would like to know.

The epic was going to be based on Sir Gawain and the Green Night, but the idea was dumped as it became clear that the band was moving away from the epic format. The musical parts that had been put together eventually became Natural Science. I'll dig up the interview where the band explains this...
  • Like 2

phew...I thought this was going to be another "Is it a 70's/80's album?" debate thread.
  • Like 4

The epic was going to be based on Sir Gawain and the Green Night, but the idea was dumped as it became clear that the band was moving away from the epic format. The musical parts that had been put together eventually became Natural Science. I'll dig up the interview where the band explains this...

Correct- and I'd love for there to exist some demo/outtake/rehearsal material, of whatever it was going to be. But that may be a pipe dream.

• Like 1

phew...I thought this was going to be another "Is it a 70's/80's album?" debate thread.

There's a debate about that ?

Albums can be recorded one year but released the next. They are always referred to by year of release not recording. So PeW is an 80s album. Except to anyone wanting to buttress a point in a 70s vs 80s argument.

There's a debate about that ?

Albums can be recorded one year but released the next. They are always referred to by year of release not recording. So PeW is an 80s album. Except to anyone wanting to buttress a point in a 70s vs 80s argument.

Yes, there's a debate about that.

It's a huge can of worms around here...and we just took the lid off :scared:

Me too. it should be quite obviously to anyone with a brain that its a 70's work. Especially if you were living it at that time... :codger:
  • Like 2

Me too. it should be quite obviously to anyone with a brain that its a 70's work. Especially if you were living it at that time... :codger:

Using that logic, Chinese Democracy would be a 1999-2008 album.

• Like 1

We're not doing this again, are we?

Yes please, let's drop this. We didn't get anywhere the first time. No need to rehash it. It's just a joke now.

• Like 1

Don't think so. I just threw out that provocative (for me at least) post to see if anyone felt like nibbling... :codger:

Why not we are ALL RUSHAHOLICS right, RIGHT!

I won't argue that we aren't, certainly. But perhaps you didn't read the first several hundred posts about it (and I'm not exaggerating), when we first had the discussion 6-9 months ago, whenever it was.

Don't think so. I just threw out that provocative (for me at least) post to see if anyone felt like nibbling... :codger:

You instigator! :codger:

;)

• Like 1

;)

I wanted to feel what a troll feels if only for a fleeting moment. It felt icky to be honest... :LOL:
  • Like 1

;)

I wanted to feel what a troll feels if only for a fleeting moment. It felt icky to be honest... :LOL:

Haha...I think you knew it would. ;)

Here you go. What you're after starts at about 2:05...picks up again around 3:20.

It is really interesting to see them talk about it - if, just a little bit ... thanks for the link .... I don't think that interview is from '81 though - more like early 1980 or even 1979 perhaps

;)

Grow a pair, Nancy. :drool: