I Say Bring Back The Opening Band

LocalsBandGuy

Save Ged's voice, save on physical exhaustion, and bring out some cool talent to open.........many bands would love to do it. Heck, have a few different bands....one for each group of dates.......The Sword, Queensyrche, etc.

Play the same length main set as the old days, and add 15 minutes to the encore.

And tour once more for Europe and then the Americas a last time.

It'll never happen, but I'd sacrifice some set length for 1 more go round!!!

I copied and pasted a post I made the first month I got here when this subject came up. I still feel the same today... :codger:

photo-thumb-14524.jpg?_r=1424555980 Posted Narpsberg on 27 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I realize I am just an old fart and have been living under a large rock for 25 years or so but............. I really don't want to see an opening band. This is just a personal thing, but I wouldn't know the music and wouldn't probably care. Unless they have some band that was around in my "era", I have no interest in that any longer. I would rather just see and hear them as long as possible. Just my opinion as always :codger:

• Like 5

I copied and pasted a post I made the first month I got here when this subject came up. I still feel the same today... :codger:

photo-thumb-14524.jpg?_r=1424555980 Posted Narpsberg on 27 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I realize I am just an old fart and have been living under a large rock for 25 years or so but............. I really don't want to see an opening band. This is just a personal thing, but I wouldn't know the music and wouldn't probably care. Unless they have some band that was around in my "era", I have no interest in that any longer. I would rather just see and hear them as long as possible. Just my opinion as always :codger:

Yeah, but what if the band was UFO with a sober Schenker? :P Spot on post.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Yeah, but what if the band was UFO with a sober Schenker? :P Spot on post.

As you may have noticed there is a provision in my post for the possibility of just such an occurrence. If the "real Yes" decided to show up (Anderson, Wakeman, Howe and Squire) I would be perfectly fine with that too. I would show up early for that one... :cheers: BTW good call on the UFO with Mr. Schenker Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

As someone who has seen the opening acts, Uh NO

Feel free to browse the lack-luster has beens who opened for Rush in my Sig.

Why would you want an opening Band?..."A few different bands?"

It would be stage time away from Rush....either song-time or much needed intermission/rest time.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone on this site who would agree with your desire to see an opening act cut into 'An Evening With Rush'.

Why would you want an opening Band?..."A few different bands?"

It would be stage time away from Rush....either song-time or much needed intermission/rest time.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone on this site who would agree with your desire to see an opening act cut into 'An Evening With Rush'.

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER Knows, the bottom of the barrel has opened for Rush.

• Like 1

Ok...given the recent developments on how they want to stop the major tour stuff...I'm thinking that this is a possibility...but HOPEFULLY...if they DO go back to the opening band thing, they take good bands on the road with them..(with bands like Spock's Beard or other prog bands like Enchant) or do dual headline tours with bands like Yes, or ELP or whomever...NOT some of the groups that they used to use years back. I saw them with Tommy Shaw on a solo tour and Y& T who wasn't bad, but kind of obnoxious on stage.....

rush have had plenty of killer opening acts. in that one guy's signature alone there's rory gallagher, steve morse, riot...enough talent there to rival rush. plus max webster, marillion, melvins, primus, etc.

the real reason why rush cant have an opening act is because rush fans only like rush :LOL:

• Like 2

hell to the no

So you'd rather them just totally STOP touring than do a 1.5 hour show with an opening band?

If Rush has to downsize the stage set and the setlist to 90 minutes, it's 15 songs tops.

It's not the Rush we know and love.

No one wants to see them in a theater playing the hits for 90 minutes.

Plus Ray Danniels can't make enough $$$.

Which Queensrÿche?

I'm sure he means latorre and not the geoff tate experience

All that shit really bugged me, I'm glad I got to see and meet the band in Iraq a couple years before they broke up. :(

Which Queensrÿche?

I'm sure he means latorre and not the geoff tate experience

All that shit really bugged me, I'm glad I got to see and meet the band in Iraq a couple years before they broke up. :(

I was late to the queensryche party, having dismissed them as a maiden ripoff when I first heard them on vh1 classic in 6th grade (who's this QUEER trying to sound like bruce?!?!?!?!), so I was never attached to one line-up over the other. nowadays, I adore their 80s work, and while it sucks what happened with tate, dude brought it on himself, imo

2 hour show, no break, no opening act would be ok with me. Of course, I would hope that ticket prices would adjust accordingly. I would really like to see them in the old 3000 seat halls again. Something like the Fox Theater in Atlanta, or the Akron Civic Theater.
  • Like 3

2 hour show, no break, no opening act would be ok with me. Of course, I would hope that ticket prices would adjust accordingly. I would really like to see them in the old 3000 seat halls again. Something like the Fox Theater in Atlanta, or the Akron Civic Theater.

oh boy...how about rush at the masquerade? :LOL:

for those who haven't been, it's the venue GWAR always plays in atlanta...

Edited by bathory

I would mind another opportunity to throw tomatoes at Marillion again.

marillion rules! I thought you liked cheesy 80s music?

During the Signals tour we were all brats, "bored now WE WANT RUSH". I did like Warrant back in the day...not so much now.

• Like 1

I would mind another opportunity to throw tomatoes at Marillion again.

marillion rules! I thought you liked cheesy 80s music?

During the Signals tour we were all brats, "bored now WE WANT RUSH". I did like Warrant back in the day...not so much now.

yeah, I'd imagine the jester prancing around with lizard skin make-up turned off the hesher crowd