The "Psychedelic Era"

Lorraine

In the Simpsons, there was an episode when they had an "old-fashioned freak-out" - and this was the list of songs played....

"Incense and Peppermints", Strawberry Alarm Clock, 1967

"Hair," Cowsills, 1969

"Time of the Season," The Zombies, 1969

"White Rabbit," Jefferson Airplane, 1967

"Uptown Girl," Billy Joel, 1983 (Homer's choice in freak-out music)

My first introduction to Psychedelic music was with the Moody Blues / Days of Future Past and Jefferson Airplane / Surrealistic Pillow, back in 1967 ( THANKS SIS !!! ).

Oh, I saw Jorma Kaukonen last Saturday in NJ so I'm still following the psychedelic music scene.

Here... Jorma is 75 y.o. !!!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/Image_zpstj8xh7rg.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

How about The Chambers Brothers? No one ever talks about them here. I had two of their albums. Loved them!! They came around just as psychedelia was on its way out.

Time Has Come Today... good stuff

• Like 2

Pet Sounds sounds like pop perfection to my ears.

The Beach Boys released the best album released in the sixties, and possibly ever, with Pet Sounds. A very special album to me.

I couldn't agree with you more.

A perfect album that transcends time.

• Like 1

some do some don't.

Pet Sounds whicvh was in that era sounds unbelievably dated to me.

Mick

The Beach Boys always sounded dated, even when they first came out.

Simply because Brian Wilson was so inspired by The Four Freshmen of the 1950s.

• Like 1

How about The Chambers Brothers? No one ever talks about them here. I had two of their albums. Loved them!! They came around just as psychedelia was on its way out.

I know that song, and I know of the Chambers Brothers by name, but I didn't know that was their song.

That's one of those songs that is just instantly recognizable. It stands out; has a distinct sound.

• Like 1

Or The Zombies? :LOL:

Time of the Season, She's Not There.... that's all I can think of :unsure:

Now i can't think of any either. :LOL:

Oh, well...... :codger:

What about Tell Her No?

• Like 1

My first introduction to Psychedelic music was with the Moody Blues / Days of Future Past and Jefferson Airplane / Surrealistic Pillow, back in 1967 ( THANKS SIS !!! ).

Oh, I saw Jorma Kaukonen last Saturday in NJ so I'm still following the psychedelic music scene.

Here... Jorma is 75 y.o. !!!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/Image_zpstj8xh7rg.jpg

I love Jorma! Love Airplane and Hot Tuna, and all of the other (mainly blues) stuff he's done. I've seen him live a couple of times, back in the mid '90s.

I'll assume that this past weekend was not the first time you've seen him- when was the first time? Either solo or with a band.

The one on the album is the best. The one released as a single was cut.

Pet Sounds sounds like pop perfection to my ears.

The Beach Boys released the best album released in the sixties, and possibly ever, with Pet Sounds. A very special album to me.

It's not exactly "pop" music in the sense that most people use it. It was considered surf music and a throwback to the 50's.

Now now dear Lorraine, if Goober was here you'd have gotten a 75000 words dissertation on the thing in 10 seconds flat... :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol:

I love psychedelic music because it's a window in time, it takes me to that time when I wasn't there, so in a way it takes me to a time of my imagination, filled with images from movies or music videos or books I've read. It's a going back to a place I've never been and a place that it's not like it was.

I'm trying to think of a psych record that doesn't sound dated but I'm having a hard time coming up with something. The thing that dates most JA is probably Spencer's drums, while Jack and Jorma are virtually timeless...

On this note, here's what happened to me not so long ago: I always thought and still think that Quadrophenia still sounds fresh and modern, it's really a timeless sound, so one day we needed some background music for a job and I said to my younger (waay younger) collegue, take a listen to Quadrophenia (the song), he did and replied: man, I dunno, that guitar sounds so... old!!

I was sad for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Now now dear Lorraine, if Goober was here you'd have gotten a 75000 words dissertation on the thing in 10 seconds flat... :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol:

I love psychedelic music because it's a window in time, it takes me to that time when I wasn't there, so in a way it takes me to a time of my imagination, filled with images from movies or music videos or books I've read. It's a going back to a place I've never been and a place that it's not like it was.

I'm trying to think of a psych record that doesn't sound dated but I'm having a hard time coming up with something. The thing that dates most JA is probably Spencer's drums, while Jack and Jorma are virtually timeless...

On this note, here's what happened to me not so long ago: I always thought and still think that Quadrophenia still sounds fresh and modern, it's really a timeless sound, so one day we needed some background music for a job and I said to my younger (waay younger) collegue, take a listen to Quadrophenia (the song), he did and replied: man, I dunno, that guitar sounds so... old!!

:LOL: That's a good one, HPL! Did you ask your young co-worker why the guitar sounded "so...old"?

:LOL: That's a good one, HPL! Did you ask your young co-worker why the guitar sounded "so...old"?

As a matter of fact, yes I did. He said it was the "waaaaaaa", which by that I think he meant the wailing, high pitched, "crying" guitar sound in the "Love reign over me" theme.

Now, I love SO MUCH that theme that I always considered impossible that someone might find it too high pitched or anything, for me it's one of the most perfect guitar sounds ever... but to each his own. I think we ended up using some "contemporary" music.

One other time, we needed a background song for a website. It had to be young, punky, sparky but not too much. I suggested "Substitute". I got the reply: "They sing too out of key". We ended up using a Pixies song.

From then on, my golden rule has been: keep The Who out of the job.

• Like 1