Rush and Led Zeppelin

LedRush

I don't know if this belongs here or in music of the spheres, but with all this talk of ranking Rush albums I have been thinking of ranking Rush's albums with my other favorite band, Led Zeppelin. Here's my first stab at it:

Houses of the Holy

Caress of Steel

Hemispheres

Led Zeppelin IV

Moving Pictures

Led Zeppelin I

Led Zeppelin II

Permanent Waves

Physical Graffiti

A Farewell to Kings

Led Zeppelin III

Presence

Clockwork Angels

In Through the Out Door

Fly By Night

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails (Remix)

Roll The Bones

Coda (remastered)

Grace Under Pressure

Signals

Rush

Presto

Hold Your Fire

Power Windows

Snakes and Arrows

Counterparts

Some things I noticed:

I seem to like the proggy elements of LZ and Rush, but appreciate the harder LZ more than the same in Rush.

When ranking just Rush albums, I had Clockwork Angels higher. I just couldn't imagine putting CA higher than any of LZ's first 6 albums, and even Presence edged it out.

Like with most bands, the best stuff comes early in the career, even if most bands not named LZ need a couple of albums to hit their stride.

I saw LZ4 and MP to be basically the same type of albums...classics with hit after hit. The Camera Eye is amazing and falls out of that narrative, but Vital Signs and Witch Hunt are weaker than any song on LZ4, hence the rating.

I saw AFTK and Physical Graffitti to be about the same, but PG got the nod (unfairly) because it has more music to pull from, and therefore had more master class songs on it.

Anyway, I'm not really saying anything...just killing time before going to get medicine for my kid.

• Like 1

This is an interesting thread and probably belongs in this sub-forum. I need to revisit LZ I haven't actively listened in decades, I might take a stab at this.

It may be interesting to see people rank Rush albums against their favorite bands. Let's see Segue compare 2112 to something Toto did.
  • Like 1

I have all of these albums but would really have to think about it for a while. I can honestly say however that I haven't listened to any of my LZ albums in many many years. I remember them well obviously because I listened to them over and over back in the day (save for ITTOD :sigh: )....
  • Like 1

I have no interest in Black Sabbath but might compare Queensryche to Rush...although it will probably be a beat down.

Comparing Yes and Rush for me would be easier. I could only fairly do the pre 80's stuff however to be fair. Both bands best stuff anyway... :codger:

I do like the fact that your #1 Zeppelin Album is Houses of the Holy :yes:

However, Led Zeppelin II is my 2nd favorite Zeppelin album

I dont know how I could compare, I agree with Narp, I would do it with Yes and Rush albums, but Zeppelin and Rush its harder to decifer

• Like 2

It may be interesting to see people rank Rush albums against their favorite bands. Let's see Segue compare 2112 to something Toto did.

I'd like to see him compare Hemispheres with anything Toto did. Or, better yet, Bruce Springsteen.

• Like 1

I don't know if this belongs here or in music of the spheres, but with all this talk of ranking Rush albums I have been thinking of ranking Rush's albums with my other favorite band, Led Zeppelin. Here's my first stab at it:

Houses of the Holy

Caress of Steel

Hemispheres

Led Zeppelin IV

Moving Pictures

Led Zeppelin I

Led Zeppelin II

Permanent Waves

Physical Graffiti

A Farewell to Kings

Led Zeppelin III

Presence

Clockwork Angels

In Through the Out Door

Fly By Night

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails (Remix)

Roll The Bones

Coda (remastered)

Grace Under Pressure

Signals

Rush

Presto

Hold Your Fire

Power Windows

Snakes and Arrows

Counterparts

Some things I noticed:

I seem to like the proggy elements of LZ and Rush, but appreciate the harder LZ more than the same in Rush.

When ranking just Rush albums, I had Clockwork Angels higher. I just couldn't imagine putting CA higher than any of LZ's first 6 albums, and even Presence edged it out.

Like with most bands, the best stuff comes early in the career, even if most bands not named LZ need a couple of albums to hit their stride.

I saw LZ4 and MP to be basically the same type of albums...classics with hit after hit. The Camera Eye is amazing and falls out of that narrative, but Vital Signs and Witch Hunt are weaker than any song on LZ4, hence the rating.

I saw AFTK and Physical Graffitti to be about the same, but PG got the nod (unfairly) because it has more music to pull from, and therefore had more master class songs on it.

Anyway, I'm not really saying anything...just killing time before going to get medicine for my kid.

BowlCity will love this list.... :rfl: :dweez:

how about rush's first 8 vs sabbath's first 8 vs zep's 8?

Sabbath wins 5-3; Black Scorers the first 5:

Black Sabbath

Paranoid

Master of Reality

Vol 4

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

I have no interest in Black Sabbath but might compare Queensryche to Rush...although it will probably be a beat down.

First 3 Ryche albums are absolute masterpieces, then IMO just empty wilderness

Edited by geezer

It'd be extremely Hard to compare Rush with anything i like i have a wide rage of taste. Again closest would be Yes

Oh and Segue WILL tell you that Lacuna Coil is better then Rush in every way.

For real they're a snooze-fest.

lol.

Mick

After Operation Mindcrime Rush would run off with it all most likely.

After Operation Mindcrime Rush would run off with it all most likely.

Not just Rush, I'm afraid....

Two of my all-time favorites so I'll take a stab, not including live albums though ESL ATWAS, TSRTS and HTWWW are works of art in their own right (despite ESL's production).

Hemispheres

Physical Graffiti

IV

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Houses of the Holy

II

A Farewell to Kings

III

Vapor Trails (remix or original)

Presence

Caress of Steel

Coda

In Through the Out Door

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Snakes and Arrows

I

Fly By Night

Rush (Rush and FBN ranked so low only because I prefer their best stuff on ATWAS)

Test for Echo

Clockwork Angels

Don't care for Power Windows through Counterparts apart from a song here and there so can't really rank them.

Edited by Rutlefan

Houses of the Holy

Caress of Steel

Hemispheres

Led Zeppelin IV

Moving Pictures

Led Zeppelin I

Led Zeppelin II

Permanent Waves

Physical Graffiti

A Farewell to Kings

Led Zeppelin III

Presence

Clockwork Angels

In Through the Out Door

Fly By Night

Test For Echo

Vapor Trails (Remix)

Roll The Bones

Coda (remastered)

Grace Under Pressure

Signals

Rush

Presto

Hold Your Fire

Power Windows

Snakes and Arrows

Counterparts

Some things I noticed:

BowlCity will love this list.... :rfl: :dweez:

No real surprises.

Houses Of The Holy is Zeppelin's best album. BY FAR. Their most varied and skillfully written album. Straight hard rock (TSRTS, Dancing Days), elements of prog (No Quarter), perfect blend of acoustic and electric (Rain Song, OTHAFA), and some good old fashioned funk (The Ocean, The Crunge, D'yer Maker).

Perfect album from start to finish.

• Like 1

Counterparts

Grace Under Pressure

Hemispheres

Houses Of The Holy

Signals

Moving Pictures

Clockwork Angels

Led Zeppelin II

Power Windows

Presence

Permanent Waves

Led Zeppelin IV

Snakes And Arrows

Vapor Trails

Led Zeppelin III

Physical Graffiti

Test For Echo

Led Zeppelin I

A Farewell To Kings

Hold Your Fire

In Through The Out Door

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Roll The Bones

Presto

Rush

Coda

Edited by BowlCity

Counterparts

Grace Under Pressure

Hemispheres

Houses Of The Holy

Signals

Moving Pictures

Clockwork Angels

Led Zeppelin II

Power Windows

Presence

Permanent Waves

Led Zeppelin IV

Snakes And Arrows

Vapor Trails

Led Zeppelin III

Physical Graffiti

Test For Echo

Led Zeppelin I

A Farewell To Kings

Hold Your Fire

In Through The Out Door

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Roll The Bones

Presto

Rush

Coda

Is that the original Coda or the one with Baby Come On Home, Traveling Riverside Blues, White Summer/Black Mountain Side and Hey Hey What Can I Do? I think those last 4 songs are good enough to make the album better than several Rush albums, especially when you add in Bonzo's Montreux, Wearing and Tearing, Darlene, I Can't Quite You Baby and Poor Tom.

Counterparts

Grace Under Pressure

Hemispheres

Houses Of The Holy

Signals

Moving Pictures

Clockwork Angels

Led Zeppelin II

Power Windows

Presence

Permanent Waves

Led Zeppelin IV

Snakes And Arrows

Vapor Trails

Led Zeppelin III

Physical Graffiti

Test For Echo

Led Zeppelin I

A Farewell To Kings

Hold Your Fire

In Through The Out Door

Fly By Night

Caress Of Steel

Roll The Bones

Presto

Rush

Coda

Is that the original Coda or the one with Baby Come On Home, Traveling Riverside Blues, White Summer/Black Mountain Side and Hey Hey What Can I Do? I think those last 4 songs are good enough to make the album better than several Rush albums, especially when you add in Bonzo's Montreux, Wearing and Tearing, Darlene, I Can't Quite You Baby and Poor Tom.

Original Coda. The other version would probably move it up past Fly By Night.

The version of I Can't Quit You Baby on Coda is one of its lowlights for me, really. I always found it inferior to the version on Led Zeppelin I.

Edited by BowlCity