"Least Glorious" to ???

toscanobarga

What is your LEAST favorite Rush studio album ?   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Round 1 - Pick your least favorite

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes and Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

Vapor Trails, one of my favorites may be f***ed though

As it should be (hides from x1yyz)...

I won't argue with it. Though I enjoy it, I can see why others dislike it and won't fight them.

To be frank I now have it on vinyl and have listened to it a couple of times. Its not nearly as bad as I have previously ranted about the past year or so. Not sure what the difference is on vinyl but I don't hear the sh*tty annoying sound I have heard before and don't need any Excedrin at all.... Go figure

I still rank about 10+ albums before it, but given Rush's huge volume of good music over bad music, it really isn't a bad place to rank it. What's more surprising is the debut getting shit on. Test For Echo and Roll The Bones don't have anything near as good as Working Man

• Like 1

I won't argue with it. Though I enjoy it, I can see why others dislike it and won't fight them.

To be frank I now have it on vinyl and have listened to it a couple of times. Its not nearly as bad as I have previously ranted about the past year or so. Not sure what the difference is on vinyl but I don't hear the sh*tty annoying sound I have heard before and don't need any Excedrin at all.... Go figure

I still rank about 10+ albums before it, but given Rush's huge volume of good music over bad music, it really isn't a bad place to rank it. What's more surprising is the debut getting shit on. Test For Echo and Roll The Bones don't have anything near as good as Working Man

There are 5 songs on the Debut better than anything from the albums you mentioned. Just my opinion of course...
  • Like 1

I see Toymaker snuck in a vote for Roll The Bones. Geddy loves that album.

That's because he has a soul (and the album saved them from "the synthesizer is killing our audience" syndrome).

well, he named power windows in his top 4 in an interview in 2013. guess what wasn't in his top 4? anything from the 90s.

Too easy. RIP Vapor Trails.

Fixed.

b) one of the synth-and raccoon hat-era travesties that pretty much ignored Alex's talents!

Ignored Alex's Talents?! I would argue that Hold Your Fire is the GREATEST showcase of Alex's guitar abilities, as well as his abundance of creativity. It's full of chiming chords and lush arpeggios only rivaled by Power Windows :smoke:

yeah, there's a lot of inventive playing on the synth records. much better than the half-assed "we forgot how to rock but we're gonna try" presto/roll the bones

• Like 2

Can of S***—sorry, Caress of Steel.

I listened to caress of steel on vinyl this morning. really youthful, energetic, ambitious. it's only their weakest album in an alternate universe where rush break up around 1984

• Like 2

The sound on CD's is compressed, so listening to an album that has been overly compressed to start with would just make it worse. I would agree that listening to it on vinyl would have to be better. If only the songs were better. :)

The sound on CD's is compressed, so listening to an album that has been overly compressed to start with would just make it worse. I would agree that listening to it on vinyl would have to be better. If only the songs were better. :)

At least its listenable which was my main point. There are a few good songs on it worth listening too. Really no different than anything recorded from 91' on in my view. Very hit or miss and more miss... :)
  • Like 1

Why do people hate Caress of Steel?

Too much. Just too much of everything. The epics are what kill it for me. Screechy and onboxious, too raw and unrefined. By-Tor and the Snowdog, 2112, Xanadu, and Cygnus X-1 are brilliant epics. But, The Necromancer and The a Fountain of Lamneth—and why not use the opportunity to bash Hemispheres also—are just plain awful. The shorter songs on CoS are just clunkers. I Think I'm Going Bald is just plain ridiculous, and Lakeside Park is boring.

Notice how I left Bastille Day out of the discussion. It is a great song, a 10/10, but one great song isn't enough to make an album.

Why do people hate Caress of Steel?

Too much. Just too much of everything. The epics are what kill it for me. Screechy and onboxious, too raw and unrefined. By-Tor and the Snowdog, 2112, Xanadu, and Cygnus X-1 are brilliant epics. But, The Necromancer and The a Fountain of Lamneth—and why not use the opportunity to bash Hemispheres also—are just plain awful. The shorter songs on CoS are just clunkers. I Think I'm Going Bald is just plain ridiculous, and Lakeside Park is boring.

Notice how I left Bastille Day out of the discussion. It is a great song, a 10/10, but one great song isn't enough to make an album.

I prefer music that's screchy, obnoxious, raw and unrefined

all this vapor trails talk, I don't even remember what the songs sound like

That must tell you something. :LOL:

yeah, I have a general idea of what vapor trails/s&A sound like, but it's been so so long since I've listened to them that I really couldn't pick out any of the songs other than earthshine, ghost rider, secret touch, and off s&a I would recognize far cry, faithless and workin' them angels and that's it

• Like 1

That's my main reason for Saying VT. Sound aside i do not like a single track. other albums there's always something i enjoy. Not so on VT. Not a single song.

Mick

But, Mick, every Rush album has something redeemable about it, even Vapor Trails.

Are you certain you don't like any songs on it?

That's my main reason for Saying VT. Sound aside i do not like a single track. other albums there's always something i enjoy. Not so on VT. Not a single song.

Mick

But, Mick, every Rush album has something redeemable about it, even Vapor Trails.

positive.

lol lord knows i've tried.

Mick

Mick

positive.

Mick

I've always felt that Ghost Rider was one of those songs that was just sort of undeniably beautiful. You disagree? lol

Mick

positive.

Mick

I've always felt that Ghost Rider was one of those songs that was just sort of undeniably beautiful. You disagree? lol

i do......and i've tried. That album never makes it through a full play. I always make it about 5 or 6 songs in and i'm done, lol

Mick