Was neil having money problems??

nicky6

Wow, I think I read somewhere he was starting to run out of money on his big road trip? Dag, howmuch was he worth or could it be one of those deals, where instead of having 40 million I'am only down to 10! Thought he had millions by 1998.

Wow, I think I read somewhere he was starting to run out of money on his big road trip? Dag, howmuch was he worth or could it be one of those deals, where instead of having 40 million I'am only down to 10! Thought he had millions by 1998.

My guess is that his idea of what was a sufficient amount of money changed after he got remarried and starting thinking of having kids.

• Like 1

My guess is that his idea of what was a sufficient amount of money changed after he got remarried and starting thinking of having kids.

I think what he might be referring to was when Neil called Geddy and Alex (before Vapor Trails) and said it was time he sought gainful employment. I'm guessing that he had worked out whatever it was he needed to work out, and was ready to get back into playing with the band.

• Like 1

In The Masked Rider he writes about being told he was spending his cash about six times faster than it was coming in.I think he was on his trip, but had also had given Brutus a job to help him with his legal problems and I imagine he was making use of someone to keep his property and other concerns in order. I doubt he was running low on money but you can't keep spending faster than it comes in or it will eventually dwindle.
  • Like 2

yes it can go quick, motels, eating out 3 times a day, gas, alcohol, smokes.... quess I can add up...

I'm sure that Macallan took a huge bite out of the bank account.

Saying Neil started playing (went back to his job, essentially) because he had money problems can mean a lot of things. I'm guessing that in his case, his "problems" didn't mean he was going broke or anything, but rather, he was cutting into the nest egg which would need to carry him through retirement while allowing him to lead a comfortable life.
  • Like 1

The context of that discussion in "The Masked Rider" was that IF the band was never going to tour/play again, they would have to liquefy their assets (equipment, etc) in order to create the kind of lasting nest egg they would need to retire for good. This was still relatively early in Neil's journey, when that sort of decision was still a very real possibility.

Statistically speaking...if you have a pile of money (that is 50% stocks and 50% bonds) and withdraw 4% each year (and adjust each year for inflation) there's over a 90% chance you'll never run out and more likely than not have your pile grow. But once you go over that 4% mark the chance of running out increases dramatically and the speed at which it runs out speeds up also.

So if Neil was in his 40's and pulling 8, 9 or even 10% off of his pile then hell yes that could run out in 10-15 years easily.

• Like 1