Steely Dan

Lorraine

Gaucho doesn't get enough credit. Hey Nineteen, Third World Man and the title track are 3 of my fav Dan songs.

Mick

Just listened to it earlier today...hadn't heard it in many, many moons. Third World Man, indeed, so nice...the two 'hits' from this record are excellent, too.

it's always a hard chore following up your biggest album/

they did a fine job, IMO.

Mick

That must be an awful experience. How do you top your best selling album? Some bands are able to ride the crest for a few albums before they start tumbling down. Others couldn't do it and we never heard of them again.

The Dan tried and then that was it for a while. And IMO........They came back and the magic was gone. the 2 reunion albums just didn't do it for me.

Whatsoever........a real shame.

Mick

Can he still sing? I guess what I want to know is does he still sound the same?

Gaucho doesn't get enough credit. Hey Nineteen, Third World Man and the title track are 3 of my fav Dan songs.

Mick

Just listened to it earlier today...hadn't heard it in many, many moons. Third World Man, indeed, so nice...the two 'hits' from this record are excellent, too.

Mick

That must be an awful experience. How do you top your best selling album? Some bands are able to ride the crest for a few albums before they start tumbling down. Others couldn't do it and we never heard of them again.

The Dan tried and then that was it for a while. And IMO........They came back and the magic was gone. the 2 reunion albums just didn't do it for me.

Mick

I was watching a live version of Peg on YouTube this morning from 2000, which of course is 15 years ago now, and unfortunately, he was straining then. So I'm not sure what he might sound like now.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

I was watching a live version of Peg on YouTube this morning from 2000, which of course is 15 years ago now, and unfortunately, he was straining then. So I'm not sure what he might sound like now.

When I hear Peg in my mind, I only hear Michael McDonald. :) But it just goes to show, they seem to all lose their voice after a certain age. Even Annie Haslam (Renaissance), who was a trained opera singer, can't sing the same anymore.

• Like 1

I've probably asked this already on this thread, but with my ever decreasing memory.....

But is there a video of them in concert from the late seventies?

I don't believe so, mainly because they stopped performing live after the tour for Pretzel Logic. They were studio-only from 1975 onward, until reuniting sometime in the 1990s.

Mick

Mick

They also had significant difficulty in making Gaucho- they worked on it for two solid years, and maybe a little more. I think Walter Becker was having some drug problems, and he also went through a terrible time with a girlfriend who either committed suicide or just died (I'm not sure which) in his apartment, in 1979.

Gaucho was finally released in November of 1980. But Becker and Fagen parted ways the following year, for quite awhile.

She committed suicide. They said she had drug problems. That always amazes me. Why would anyone like that have a drug problem? What are they looking to numb? They have what many would love to have.

Depression is not a result of the black or whites of life. Sadly, whatever broke her, may not have been so simple to explain, or for anyone else to be able to understand.

• Like 1

Fagan can't really sing now. but As blue J said......his vocal problems go back to 2000

Mick

That's a shame.

it's not really outta tune per say. He just has no power behind his voice anymore.

Mick

• Like 1

Fagan can't really sing now. but As blue J said......his vocal problems go back to 2000

Mick

That's a shame.

it's not really outta tune per say. He just has no power behind his voice anymore.

Mick

Is that common? That sounds strange to me. How old is he?

I see Amazon has The Making of Aja. I will buy myself a birthday gift! :)

I love watching things like that. What goes into the making of an album intrigues me.

It is very well done

Just in case.

Mick

That's a shame.

Mick

Cigarettes can do the trick, quite handily. Same thing happened to Joni Mitchell.

Mick

That's a shame.

Mick

Cigarettes can do the trick, quite handily. Same thing happened to Joni Mitchell.

Talk about a golden voice. man was she careless with her instrument. Ditto Art garfunkel who can sing in tune. but it's like a whisper now.

Mick

• Like 1

Another one of my favorite bands. Have yet to see them in concert. I will next time around!

You new?

:hi:

• Like 1

Mick

That's a shame.

Mick

Talk about a golden voice. man was she careless with her instrument. Ditto Art garfunkel who can sing in tune. but it's like a whisper now.

Mick

I think about the time her voice really started to be completely gone, mid-90s or so, was about the same time she ran around the Grammy Awards show saying something like, "But I'm not a musician, I'm a painter", etc...she was being so coy and aloof about having been a musician, and I find that kind of sad.

Another one of my favorite bands. Have yet to see them in concert. I will next time around!

Do join in the discussion here. :)

There is a corps of regular posters here (including me) who have caused me to rename this The Rushly Dan Forum.

:LOL:

• Like 1

Yesterday morning in church, for almost two hours, this is what went through my head:

I never knew you

you were a roller skater

You're gonna show me later

Turn up the Eagles

the neighbors are listening

Over and over and over and over and over again. :scared:

• Like 2

Mick

That's a shame.

Mick

Mick

i am now of the opinion that it matters not what you do or don't do. Once you reach a certain age, kiss the voice you once had goodbye.

• Like 1

Lorraine, a prime example of electric piano in a Dan song is from about the 2:45 to 3:30 mark in Black Cow. That's what that instrument is, in that solo break.
  • Like 1

Lorraine, a prime example of electric piano in a Dan song is from about the 2:45 to 3:30 mark in Black Cow. That's what that instrument is, in that solo break.

I'll listen, but I think I figured it out. An electric piano sounds more honky-tonk. A regular piano sounds full.

• Like 1