Is this it ?

Is this it?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Is this it?

• Yes...The August 1st show in LA will be their last performance
    • No...There will be a R40 2nd leg in North America...and then they're done
    • No...There will be a R40 Europe/World leg...and then they're done
    • No...There will be a R40 Europe/World leg and 2nd North America leg...and then they're done
    • No... After the R40 (current leg) they will record more and tour more
    • No... After a 2nd North America leg they will record and tour more
    • No... After both a Europe/World leg and 2nd North America leg they will record and tour more
    • Yes...After the August 1st show in LA they will record more but not tour anymore

By the way, is there a transcript of this Drumtalk interview?

The only thing I've seen is the video posted on Drum Talk TV's Facebook page, it's not on the website yet...if you're on FB...search for DTTV and look for the interview with John Good about Neil's kit at the NAMM show.

Thank you, but I'm not on Facebook, and I have dial-up, so watching videos is out.

Can someone post some highlights of what was said?

Complete imbecile interviews Good. Good says its Neil's last kit. Good also thinks that 3000 yr old driftwood will make his tupperware series magically sound better.

Um....no.... So you don't like DW...that's your loss...The kits I've played have a nice tone to them...I just can't afford them.

Anyway.... DW's owner (seems like a stoner, but the guy makes a nice product, and has made a lot of drummers happy) is interviewed by a guy with a website all drum related stuff...does a lot of interviews with manufacturers and artists... Talks to DW's founder, gets the scoop on Neils new kit made out of some old wood...can't comment on the sound yet...we haven't heard it (and the way Neil tunes, it's a tough call, anyway) At the end of the interview, he makes mention that there's a second kit for the second half of the show that replicates the black chrome Slingerland kit he used... He also said during the interview, that when he was talking to Neil at Neil's place, that he didn't want to do the tour so THIS IS IT!

That's about the gist of it.

If they sound like absolute horrendous chit to me, how is it my loss, lol? All three are stuck in the "newer is better" mentality even if it degrades/bastardizes the quality of their original music (which it does). Every time I listen to a live Rush song I hear a wall of sound that buries muddy percussions.

Edited by GeminiRising79

The only thing I've seen is the video posted on Drum Talk TV's Facebook page, it's not on the website yet...if you're on FB...search for DTTV and look for the interview with John Good about Neil's kit at the NAMM show.

Thank you, but I'm not on Facebook, and I have dial-up, so watching videos is out.

Complete imbecile interviews Good. Good says its Neil's last kit. Good also thinks that 3000 yr old driftwood will make his tupperware series magically sound better.

Um....no.... So you don't like DW...that's your loss...The kits I've played have a nice tone to them...I just can't afford them.

Anyway.... DW's owner (seems like a stoner, but the guy makes a nice product, and has made a lot of drummers happy) is interviewed by a guy with a website all drum related stuff...does a lot of interviews with manufacturers and artists... Talks to DW's founder, gets the scoop on Neils new kit made out of some old wood...can't comment on the sound yet...we haven't heard it (and the way Neil tunes, it's a tough call, anyway) At the end of the interview, he makes mention that there's a second kit for the second half of the show that replicates the black chrome Slingerland kit he used... He also said during the interview, that when he was talking to Neil at Neil's place, that he didn't want to do the tour so THIS IS IT!

If they sound like absolute horrendous chit to me, how is it my loss, lol? All three are stuck in the "newer is better" mentality even if it degrades/bastardizes the quality of their original music (which it does). Every time I listen to a live Rush song I hear a wall of sound that buries muddy percussions.

Okay, well while we're out having a good time seeing Rush, you can sit in your hole by yourself and repeatedly play ATWAS like it's 1976 all over again. Some people are stuck in their ways, I guess, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that. :)

If you're basing how DW's sound on how Neil has his drums tuned then you're missing it... He CRANKS them and they don't sound like they do when they're tuned properly.

As I said, I've played several DW kits, and they have the sweetest sound... He could do the same thing with a set of Tama's or Ludwigs, and it wouldn't matter ...

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

No one ever wants things to end but eventually everything does. I believe these three men have earned their retirement and then some. Maybe we are just projecting our own humanity and frailties onto them. Their retirement would indicate that ours is not far behind. We are all aging, I'v aged while writing this, regardless their departure from our lives will come sooner than later, whether we want it or not. I will hate that day when it comes, but I will accept it, honor their long and illustrious career and start watching and listening to the countless of music they have provided as the Soundtrack for which is my life.

Regardless there is still one more :rush: Hurrah on the horizon!

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Rock on boys! Rock on!

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 3

No one ever wants things to end but eventually everything does. I believe these three men have earned their retirement and then some. Maybe we are just projecting our own humanity and frailties onto them. Their retirement would indicate that ours is not far behind. We are all aging, I'v aged while writing this, regardless their departure from our lives will come sooner than later, whether we want it or not. I will hate that day when it comes, but I will accept it, honor their long and illustrious career and start watching and listening to the countless of music they have provided as the Soundtrack for which is my life.

Regardless there is still one more :rush: Hurrah on the horizon!

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Rock on boys! Rock on!

I'm just glad that they don't do the replacement thing and try to keep things going.... Rush is THREE guys and that's it...not like Styx, Kansas, Foreigner or Foghat who has like ONE dude left, and they keep calling it the original name!

• Like 3

http://ultimateclass...015-tour-final/

Is this another sign that leads towards the question....

Is this it?

Link doesn't work.

oops....something didn't work....the link can be found on the Ray Daniels thread in On The Lighted Stage sub-forum.

With Neil's recent remarks, Geddy's interview on TMS, the interview with the DW Drum dude, and now these Ray Daniels' remarks....

I am starting to really believe that....

This is it.

Edited by WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

http://ultimateclass...015-tour-final/

Is this another sign that leads towards the question....

Is this it?

Link doesn't work.

oops....something didn't work....the link can be found on the Ray Daniels thread in On The Lighted Stage sub-forum.

With Neil's recent remarks, Geddy's interview on TMS, the interview with the DW Drum dude, and now these Ray Daniels' remarks....

I am starting to really believe that....

This is it.

Yeah me too. I'd like to be proven wrong.

If it is then Rush had a great 41 Year run at it, not to many bands can last that long or stay current year after year not like the lett's say The Who or The Rolling Stones where they inactive for a few years then come back. I'm sure if this is it, they mean it. I'm sure they seen bands come back retire and come back retire and come back etc... They earned the right to call it the day (and we should respect that) plus go out on top in grand style.

Plus 41+ years is a hell of a long time to be in a band, I'm sure it does something to your thinking after all theses Years.

Edited by BlairC45
  • Like 2

I do believe after the Los Angeles show they'll take a long 2-3 year break/hiatus...

Hopefully then, Neil's home life will be more embedded and his creative juices will flow freely...

Hopefully, even probable, I see Rush making another album...

As far as going on the road again, at 65, it is a long shot. Maybe, 3-4 years down the road, some two night runs in New York, Toronto and LA is optimistically realistic.

I'm glad I've got tickets for Los Angeles....because...I believe...

This is it.

• Like 1

This is it. Let's be realistic folks. They are in their 60's!!! I'm hoping that it is actually. They will always be my rock heroes and I've seen them 54 times now. I have to admit Ged just doesn't have the chops anymore. Musicianship wise they are still on top of their games at 60 but Ged can't sing night in and night out he's been having good nights and lots of bad nights. The catalog frankly has been boring at times except for second half of Clockwork show that was refreshing. I am going this tour and I will be very sad to say goodbye but at the same time I think it's the right call now. You can only listen to Tom Sawyer and others so many times especially if Ged is struggling through it some nights. After the show at Jiffy Lube pass me the Kleenex!
  • Like 1

If it's the last tour, it's the last tour.

If not, okay.

Either way, I'm not going to complain. Just be thankful.

All four of my grandparents lived into their 80's. I got to know them, spend time with them, have memories. My wife lost a grandfather and grandmother before she was born. She didn't get to experience what I got to.

I feel blessed to have "spent" not only my teenage years but all of my adulthood being treated to wonderful music and being moved by creative lyrics. If they play on, they play on. If they don't, I'm good with it. We all knew it was going to end some day.....

• Like 2

Dude this guys are roasting playing better than ever!

Having tons of fun and need it for their own artist-happiness

I am sure they still got great records and tours to offer

Maybe their best are yet to come

mick jagger will drop dead and prat,dirk and lerxst will go on

If there is anything we know about this band, it is that they are often completely different than others.

Some long time bands just don't seem to be able to hang it up. The Who are saying the 2015 tour is their last (but we have heard that song before... and I have a hard time swallowing the idea that it is actually The Who without Keith Moon *and* John Entwistle). The Rolling Stones keep on playing from time to time. AC/DC is touring again this year, but with only one original member.

But, again, Rush is different, I can indeed see them saying this is it. But, as I have said before, I see this as the end of Rush as we have known them (recording full length albums and big, grand tours). Sure, I think they could record a little here and there, even all three together as Rush. I can even see them playing a few, very scaled down and small venue shows (that come with much lower expectations). .

I also think they are perfectionists and they would struggle with the idea of going on the road without having extensively warmed up, or playing to a large (10,000 or so) crowd without their bag of visual tricks. That's why I don't see them recording anything extensive (that would come with the expectation of a tour) or agreeing to any sort of arena tour. No, instead, I see the potential for an EP or two (Alex has spoken of the demise of the full length album as a form before, so an EP makes some sense) and a few small gigs.

I do think Alex and Geddy will have other projects. I think Neil will play, too, but in some other forms of music.

Of course, all we, including me, are all really doing is guessing. I could be wrong. They could suddenly announce a second North American leg, Europe, Latin America, and beyond. But I just doubt that will happen. And the real truth of the matter is I think many of us have all realized that this could indeed be it and have taken a moment to reflect on how blessed we were to have this run, particularly the post-hiatus run, to enjoy.

Yes, this, very well said. Rush wants to go out on top. They are not a band that would tarnish their legacy of top-notch musicianship by continuing to perform as their skills diminish. Rush has high standards.

I didn't read the whole thread, but this WILL be the last Rush tour. I can't say what Geddy & Alex will do, but after this, Neil will never tour again. Seriously, the writing has been on the wall for a number of years - it's just now coming to fruition for him. And hey, they all had a great run and deserve to enjoy their remaining years, in whatever way they want to.

See Rush this time around, or never see 'em again...

• Like 2

I didn't read the whole thread, but this WILL be the last Rush tour. I can't say what Geddy & Alex will do, but after this, Neil will never tour again. Seriously, the writing has been on the wall for a number of years - it's just now coming to fruition for him. And hey, they all had a great run and deserve to enjoy their remaining years, in whatever way they want to.

Unfortunately, not a few here will read what you have posted and still continue to deny the obvious.

• Like 2

Damn. Very sorry to read this.

FOH:

Just one question for you: Are THESE 34 cities IT or will this tour take on another leg? I'm mostly asking in reference to the possibility of any European dates to be added to R40, as I am holding off on an earlier trip to Europe in hopes that they may announce some European dates because I can't go twice in such a short span, it's go now or wait for RUSH when they go and I'm in a quandary trying to hold out for news.

Anyone else want to accuse me and a few others of saying Rush will end because of Neil??

The irony in this is that Neil will probably get what he's been longing for since the beginning.... That guy still has some serious unresolved issues from his tragedies.... That constant "Running away" theme of his life in the last 17 years.... Running away from fame, from fans, from Geddy & Alex on tour (Ged said in an interview recently "I haven't seen Neil after a show in years!")... All that talk about their "friendship" always makes me laugh... Geddy & Alex have been saying that to protect themselves and Rush for 18 years, because they've known all along that the "New Guy" is one moment away from ending it all at a moment's notice.... The "New Guy" (Why call him by his name since his supposed "friends" have been referred to by him as "The Guys At Work" for 15 years---Geddy couldn't even name a SINGLE charity Neil is involved with in that Juno video, because, like us he probably has no idea!!- "Neil, well he has his own things....") has been a ball and chain on Geddy & Alex since his return.... And I'm sure it's been an emotional toll on both of them too, even if they will NEVER come out and say it publicly... I really hope Geddy and Alex (especially Geddy) realize that there is musical life beyong "Mister Sinister".... I'll be the first one in line to buy any music that Geddy puts out in the future.... And since he hasn't exactly been a "fan favorite" this last decade, and WILL be in the end the reason Rush is done, I doubt Neil will have much of a public to read all his little ramblings about "Lemon Slug Racing"..... Or some cactus on the side of the road.... MOST fans already dont care... I doubt they will care in a few years.... So I'm sure Neil will have his wish of spending his retirement in anonimity... I doubt Geddy or Alex will drop by for some "fun and games"... Geddy showed once again what a class act he was at that Junos thing... While "Mister All Smiles All The Time" was somewhere, too busy to say thanks... Probably racing some lemon.....

• Like 1