Is this it ?

Is this it?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Is this it?

• Yes...The August 1st show in LA will be their last performance
    • No...There will be a R40 2nd leg in North America...and then they're done
    • No...There will be a R40 Europe/World leg...and then they're done
    • No...There will be a R40 Europe/World leg and 2nd North America leg...and then they're done
    • No... After the R40 (current leg) they will record more and tour more
    • No... After a 2nd North America leg they will record and tour more
    • No... After both a Europe/World leg and 2nd North America leg they will record and tour more
    • Yes...After the August 1st show in LA they will record more but not tour anymore

After hearing Geddy on That Metal Show...It doesn't look too promising, to me, to expect any new music or touring for several years.

He gave many reasons why Rush would take an extended break after the presumed touring ending August 1st show in Los Angeles. Yes...Rush will still be a band...and yes...they will probably write some more...and yes...they will probably play live somewhere at sometime in the future...but touring?... after a possible 2-3 year break and pushing 65 yrs. old...?

Geddy refused to label this tour a Farewell Tour...but I feel if they don't get back in the studio within a couple years, they (as in Neil) may find it harder to decide to go out on the road, even if they do release a new album.

I hope I'm completely wrong...and they do produce a couple more albums and give us some more tours. But...I do think it's justified, at this time, to wonder...

Is this it?

I understand, Neil's point of view... But how old is his daughter?? 4? 5?? To me, it's pretty evident he wants to be around her while she's a pre-schooler... Which is why he would have preferred if this tour had been next year, or the one after that.... Once she starts school, she'll grow up pretty fast... What's he gonna do?? Stare at her until she's 15??? Once she gets a little older, she'll understand that her daddy can't be around 24/7.... (Believe me... My brother died 14 months ago, and my Niece who was 8 understood these things a whole lot better than my Nephew who is 5). And once she gets older, Neil will start getting pretty bored too.... It's pretty clear Geddy is NOT ready to call it quits any time soon... I very much doubt Alex is too... Musicians don't just quit one afternoon....
  • Like 2

Yes...After the August 1st show in LA they will record more

but not tour. At least Not Tours to which we are acustomed.

However the comments made about his physical endurance are

a bit pompous. I'm not sure of many jobs, coworkers, Or even

customers that would agree with hours of high end motorcycling

before the days call of duty. A dedicated employee Or teammate

understands any event Or situation affecting ones jobs duty must

eventually be tamed.

Edited by headache

I had to bump this thread due to the new revelations by John Good of DW Drums during an interview at NAMM 15.

The interview starts off describing the 1500 yr. old Romanian River Oak drum kit...we all know about.

He tells how he met with Neil at Bubba's and discussed the new kit and apparently Neil revealed or expressed some 2 kit plans and some 'end of touring' intentions.

You can find the interview of Drumtalktv's Facebook page...you need to scroll down quite a bit to find the video about Neil Peart/Romanian River Oak.

I don't know the credibility of Mr. Good, he does seem a little spacey. But he must have said four times that....

This is it.

• Like 1

Rolling Stones 2014- Tour- 19 songs

Kiss- 2014- Tour- 15 songs

Aerosmith 2014- Tour - 18 Songs

Rush 2013- Tour - 28 Songs

Rush play longer and harder and better than anyone their age.

If they walk away, we all saw the best ever and best CURRENTLY STILL TOURING

You could make an arguement the other way for Springsteen (which I would) but of course that's subjective.

All this being said, this is going to be an amazing tour and can't wait for the show (once I find tickets :)

I had to bump this thread due to the new revelations by John Good of DW Drums during an interview at NAMM 15.

The interview starts off describing the 1500 yr. old Romanian River Oak drum kit...we all know about.

He tells how he met with Neil at Bubba's and discussed the new kit and apparently Neil revealed or expressed some 2 kit plans and some 'end of touring' intentions.

You can find the interview of Drumtalktv's Facebook page...you need to scroll down quite a bit to find the video about Neil Peart/Romanian River Oak.

I don't know the credibility of Mr. Good, he does seem a little spacey. But he must have said four times that....

This is it.

I think Neil has had it. Sounds like he confided in Mr. Good a bit more than they've let us know publicly.

• Like 1

This is it.

I think Neil has had it. Sounds like he confided in Mr. Good a bit more than they've let us know publicly.

That's what I was thinking. Even if Neil is done, Rush (Geddy and Alex) probably didn't want to announce any thing that sounded remotely 'farewellish'...strategically perhaps, as to leave the door open for more recording and/or light touring a few years down the road.

This is it.

That's what I was thinking. Even if Neil is done, Rush (Geddy and Alex) probably didn't want to announce any thing that sounded remotely 'farewellish'...strategically perhaps, as to leave the door open for more recording and/or light touring a few years down the road.

Exactly. It's never over till it's over. I have a feeling that Geddy wants to keep going until he drops. Probably Alex feels similarly but maybe not to the degree. Neil definitely sounds like he's been suffering for the last 10 years after every show, so it's probably murder for him to think about all the work it's going to take to get ready for the new tour. Plus him wanting to stay home with his daughter.

• Like 2

Sounds trite, but they will continue going with whatever works best for the three of them- and time will tell. Its really a balance of their collective energies, imo. I believe they'll continue touring (at a limited capacity- in terms of less cities ) and perhaps drop album efforts and transition into the serial release of new songs as they go.

I see a pretty marked trend of ppl not retiring or coming out of retirement due to stark boredom and fear of declining too quickly(which happens all too easily). I don't see Rush abandoning their life and livelihood until one of them are faced with a physical impairment. For now they really should be involved in serious exercise and diet routines for longevity- which is what I've been heavily involved in over the last yr (works fantastically, btw). So lets see...up to them how bad they want to continue on living the dream.

Edited by GeminiRising79

His comments blew me away with that part of it...not knowing what his "vices" are especially at the time he was talking to Dan at DTTV, but being an "inner circle" kind of guy with NP, you have to know that he knows SOMETHING, and it's a "yikes!" kind of scenario!

But look how many times The Who had farewell tours and came back... About the only person you haven't heard from that "retired" and said that he was retiring is Bill Bruford! He announced that was it...he wrote and published his memoir, and you just don't hear from him in a musical sense.

Wow......That guy is a complete idiot! Another one in Neil's strange collection of friends... Why don't you just give out the setlist while you're at it???? :rage: :moon:

It won't be his last kit. Just another way to promote the upcoming tour by brazenly stating this. Best rule is to not trust any statement by any Rush inner-circle stooge (including Rush themselves).

Wow......That guy is a complete idiot! Another one in Neil's strange collection of friends... Why don't you just give out the setlist while you're at it???? :rage: :moon:

It won't be his last kit. Just another way to promote the upcoming tour by brazenly stating this. Best rule is to not trust any statement by any Rush inner-circle stooge (including Rush themselves).

If there's any truth to the replica Singerland and 'bar band' feel for the 2nd set...

...then you are one step closer to getting your wish of hearing a lot of pre-80s songs.

GR79...I think you should move forward on getting some tickets and just hope for the best.

Just don't leave early...you may miss some old school Rush rock.

• Like 1

If there's any truth to the replica Singerland and 'bar band' feel for the 2nd set...

...then you are one step closer to getting your wish of hearing a lot of pre-80s songs.

GR79...I think you should move forward on getting some tickets and just hope for the best.

Well the fact that GR's calling John Good a "stooge" is just hilarious! Eccentric, maybe...but the guy that invented DW drums, surely isn't a stooge! He's done SOMETHING right! (and I think a few offhand comments from some conversations with the Professor might hold more merit than the boy's trying to keep things on the hush hush)

Well the fact that GR's calling John Good a "stooge" is just hilarious! Eccentric, maybe...but the guy that invented DW drums, surely isn't a stooge! He's done SOMETHING right! (and I think a few offhand comments from some conversations with the Professor might hold more merit than the boy's trying to keep things on the hush hush)

I agree with this. I think their management has told them not to say it's the last tour. But they've always had that "let's wait and see" attitude about everything they've done. So I have a feeling only time will tell.

I agree with this. I think their management has told them not to say it's the last tour. But they've always had that "let's wait and see" attitude about everything they've done. So I have a feeling only time will tell.

If what that DW guy is saying is true, and considering what Geddy said a couple weeks ago, me thinks the elephant in the room of Rush is slowly starting to come out.... Everything Geddy & Alex have done in the last 2 decades has been focused around Neil and his new "California life" and I think it's starting to take its toll on the band, especially Geddy.... I understand what Neil has been through, and believe me, I have been through much of the same, but a 63 year old with a 5 year old kid is not your common situation.... I'm sorry, but every Daddy has to go to work.... When I was a kid my Dad travelled all around Canada and the US and France and was gone for weeks at a time... So no "boo ho hoo " from me on that.... This is also a guy who bikes HUNDREDS of miles on dirt roads and back roads on SHOW DAY, and NEVER hangs around Geddy and Alex for whole tours at a time, preferring time with his Rent-a-cop ambiguously testosteroned buddy, and stoner friend.... This is ALSO a guy who constantly ESCAPES from his family on month long "Vacations" all over the place...... From Geddy's recent comments, I'm beginning to see a rift growing between him and "Mister Smiley".... And I'm pretty sure at some point, Ged & Al who have been like an old couple for the majority of their lives will have to get away from that cannonball who has been dragging them and slowing them down for 20 years or so..... I think both still have LOTS of creativity and energy..... MAybe they'll even get to sing to better lyrics resulting in BETTER songs! My 2 cents, but it's my honest opinion on the state of the band from what I've been seeing in recent years..... :codger:

• Like 3

By the way, is there a transcript of this Drumtalk interview?

The only thing I've seen is the video posted on Drum Talk TV's Facebook page, it's not on the website yet...if you're on FB...search for DTTV and look for the interview with John Good about Neil's kit at the NAMM show.

The only thing I've seen is the video posted on Drum Talk TV's Facebook page, it's not on the website yet...if you're on FB...search for DTTV and look for the interview with John Good about Neil's kit at the NAMM show.

Thank you, but I'm not on Facebook, and I have dial-up, so watching videos is out.

Can someone post some highlights of what was said?

Thank you, but I'm not on Facebook, and I have dial-up, so watching videos is out.

Complete imbecile interviews Good. Good says its Neil's last kit. Good also thinks that 3000 yr old driftwood will make his tupperware series magically sound better.

Complete imbecile interviews Good. Good says its Neil's last kit. Good also thinks that 3000 yr old driftwood will make his tupperware series magically sound better.

If those are the highlights, I won't ask what the lowlights were. :unsure:

Thanks, Gemini! ;)

I think the interview has been removed... Maybe somebody in the Rush camp decided to shut him up! That guy seemed like the drunk uncle telling all the family secrets at the Christmas party.... After seeing THAT, I will make sure to NEVER buy any DW products....

EDIT: Forget it... It was only the fb link in a private message to a friend that wasn't loading....

Edited by Supersyl

Um....no.... So you don't like DW...that's your loss...The kits I've played have a nice tone to them...I just can't afford them.

Anyway.... DW's owner (seems like a stoner, but the guy makes a nice product, and has made a lot of drummers happy) is interviewed by a guy with a website all drum related stuff...does a lot of interviews with manufacturers and artists... Talks to DW's founder, gets the scoop on Neils new kit made out of some old wood...can't comment on the sound yet...we haven't heard it (and the way Neil tunes, it's a tough call, anyway) At the end of the interview, he makes mention that there's a second kit for the second half of the show that replicates the black chrome Slingerland kit he used... He also said during the interview, that when he was talking to Neil at Neil's place, that he didn't want to do the tour so THIS IS IT!

That's about the gist of it.