Ok..so if this IS it.....

Jaminbenb

[quote name=bathory'

I am edgingclosetimestamp='1423451261' post='3434745]

I adore Kansas, their seventies work is superior to Rush.

you say that about every band you find. :LOL:

, Tull...

:dweez:

Tull wrote epics far beyond the abilities of Rush's best work. So did Yes.

I love Rush, but the more I discover from that era the less impressed I am with their early work. I still love them, but Close To The Edge, Thick As Brick, Topographic Oceans, Leftoverture and even The Grand Illusion and Pieces Of Eight have left a bigger impression on me than the likes of Hems, FBN or even my beloved CoS.

But I don't see that as a bad thing. Rush will always be a phenomenal band, and I remain a massive fan, and I never would have given these other bands a chance if it hadn't been for Rush.

Segue, I agree with you and, in my opinion, I think you are right. That is why I didn't pay any attention to Rush in the seventies. Compared to other bands and the albums being released, they really didn't measure up.

At this point...not really any "must see" bands for me. I've always shelled out the most money for Rush, and made sure to see them "no matter what".

These days, I'm usually more interested in trying to catch bands I've never seen before that I've always wanted to see.

There are artists like Joe Satriani, for instance, that I try to catch on every tour. His ticket prices aren't usually outrageous, and I've been lucky that he's been coming close to home.

It will be a sad reality when the Boys call it quits for good.

I agree as well. And not being sarcastic. I mean they wrote Hemispheres. but i think on the whole their 70's work isn't the best. they became far more interesting in the 80's

Mick

Again, and I stress in my opinion, it seems to me now when I listen to their seventies' music that they were behind everyone else. A few of those seventies' albums, if they had come out in 1967, 68 or 69, would have been real mind blowers. By the time they came out, that type of music was already passe. Even an album like Presto was too late for its sound.

In my opinion. :)

• Like 1

I agree as well. And not being sarcastic. I mean they wrote Hemispheres. but i think on the whole their 70's work isn't the best. they became far more interesting in the 80's

Mick

Again, and I stress in my opinion, it seems to me now when I listen to their seventies' music that they were behind everyone else. A few of those seventies' albums, if they had come out in 1967, 68 or 69, would have been real mind blowers. By the time they came out, that type of music was already passe. Even an album like Presto was too late for its sound.

Mick

Lorraine......they did write Xanadu so it's all ok :wub:

Mick

Robin Trower, UFO, Television, The Blow Monkeys, Mastadon, Riverside, Volbeat, Blue October, Michael Schenker, Jeff Kollman. All currently still playing and releasing new material every few years.

[quote name=bathory'

, Tull...

I love Rush, but the more I discover from that era the less impressed I am with their early work. I still love them, but Close To The Edge, Thick As Brick, Topographic Oceans, Leftoverture and even The Grand Illusion and Pieces Of Eight have left a bigger impression on me than the likes of Hems, FBN or even my beloved CoS.

But I don't see that as a bad thing. Rush will always be a phenomenal band, and I remain a massive fan, and I never would have given these other bands a chance if it hadn't been for Rush.

Segue, I agree with you and, in my opinion, I think you are right. That is why I didn't pay any attention to Rush in the seventies. Compared to other bands and the albums being released, they really didn't measure up.

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I've always felt that Rush was doing something more unique in the 70s by including that metal edge in there music. To me, Tull, Yes, Genesis etc.. All sort of got stuck in the typical 70s prog sound

Mick

I think it's a pretty valid opinion. Rush has always been more reactive than proactive, but I think their take on what was going on around them, in the 70s in particular, was pretty amazing.

• Like 2

[quote name=bathory'

, Tull...

I can see where you guys are coming from, but I've always felt that Rush was doing something more unique in the 70s by including that metal edge in there music. To me, Tull, Yes, Genesis etc.. All sort of got stuck in the typical 70s prog sound

But it wasn't a seventies sound. That is the point I tried to make. Take a look at the albums released in the seventies by other popular bands at the time. They were ahead of Rush in sound.

I'm sorry, but maybe you had to be alive and kicking and over the age or reason back then to know what I am talking about.

And this isn't meant to be derogatory to Rush at all. So no one gets their Rush feathers ruffled here. ;)

[quote name=bathory'

, Tull...

But it wasn't a seventies sound. That is the point I tried to make. Take a look at the albums released in the seventies by other popular bands at the time. They were ahead of Rush in sound.

I'm sorry, but maybe you had to be alive and kicking and over the age or reason back then to know what I am talking about.

And this isn't meant to be derogatory to Rush at all. So no one gets their Rush feathers ruffled here. ;)

Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with 70s music, but it always seemed like Rush really had their own vein of 70s prog; they're use of synth was unique, their heaviness was unprecedented in the genre, and they were able to make a sound that didn't just sound like "70s prog" to me. So in many ways, I think Rush was ahead of other bands. Tull I give an exception to for their use of folk themes, they also did something very unique. But Yes and Genesis specifically (while still very inventive music that I am a big fan of) seemed like they have as unique of a sound going for them.

Over the last ten years or so, I've gravitated to bands with "B-level" fame, who tend to play smaller venues. Tickets are cheaper, and shows feel more intimate.

I see more shows from bands like Tool, Queens of the Stone Age, King Crimson. Once Rush calls it quits, I'll probably devote my concert-going experiences to shows like these.

Arena Rock is almost dead, having been replaced by Arena Pop, for the most part, and that's fine with me. The best "must see" bands are still thriving, on a much smaller scale.

Thank GOD that the artists we liked didn't rely upon 20 dancers on stage and 50 costume changes, and a band that only met two weeks before the tour to rehearse....

[quote name=bathory'

, Tull...

Rush is a ROCK band...Yes, Tull, Crimson, Genesis...they were all PROG bands....Rush got lumped in because they did more with less, and made it sound amazing LIKE a prog band.

When I get into a prog mood, I don't grab Rush.

[quote name=bathory'

, Tull...

Rush is a ROCK band...Yes, Tull, Crimson, Genesis...they were all PROG bands....Rush got lumped in because they did more with less, and made it sound amazing LIKE a prog band.

I get what you're saying, but Rush is definitely a prog rock band. Foreigner is a rock band

I don't think anyone can ruffle my Rush feathers.

To me, Rush's sound is unique- their brand of prog, their brand of more straightforward rock and roll songs- they are instantly identifiable, and not just to we rabid fans on this forum. They have always had a distinct sound, which I have always just called "Rush music". That's just what it's called, to my mind. And I suppose that can be argued for other prog-type bands that have been cited here. But none of them did it quite the way Rush did, in the '70s or since. And I don't posit that that makes it better than all others. It's just distinct.

To go back to this thread's subject- if this IS it, or even if it is not- all I know is there never has been and never will be another band quite like them.

[quote name=bathory'

, Tull...

I get what you're saying, but Rush is definitely a prog rock band. Foreigner is a rock band

Caress of Steel (most of it), 2112, AFTK, and Hemispheres is prog-ish... (well and Clockwork Angels) the rest to me is a unique kind of rock.. Technically...since you can't stick it into it;s own folder and say it's ______ (other than Rush music)... it's prog...but they're a hard rock band...

I would say that compared to a group like Genesis or ELP the guys in Rush weren't up to their level of musicianship at the time. At least not until the 80's and they improved by leaps and bounds when they got much better.
  • Like 1

Must See if Rush hangs it up??

Hmmm, Iron Maiden is always a must see but at this stage in my life I have other things to be concerned about. Plus ALL future concerts have to be on a Friday or Saturday night, or if I`m on vacation or a holiday the next day. Living in the NYC metro area doesn`t bode very well for Fri/Sat night shows either. Being NYC, bands seem to pick Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu knowing they`ll get a sell out or close to it. So as the question goes and the night is right,

Iron Maiden

AC/DC

those 2 would be must see shows for me. There are lots of other bands I would go see as well if the timing is right. Looking at Frampton/Cheap Trick on Pier 97 this summer. I`ll be on vacation that week and I`m not certain if I`m going anywhere yet. George Thorogood is also playing soon and last time I saw him he rocked the place. Now that I`m much older and not so into concerts like I use to be, and no longer selfish, the wife and I have been going to shows here and there. She`s been having a good time because I was always going with buddies and she would stay home with the kids. Totally unfair and selfish on my part. I owe her a ton of concerts which I`ve been keeping up with some(when the timing is right). Saw Kid Rock w/Kool & The Gang. Who would`ve thought it would have been one of the better shows I`ve seen lately. LOL

[quote name=bathory'

, Tull...

I agree. Rush were great in the seventies , but a rougher diamond than the finest bands of that era. I personally think from PeW-HYF they reached their creative zenith. I adore CoS-Hems, but for my prog fix Yes satisfy more, and Tull really blew my mind with Thick As A Brick.

But Rush are incredibly talented, and personally I still think that there is a certain magic about them that stands them apart. 2112, Xanadu, LVS and Hems are heavenly in their own right.

Edited by Segue Myles