Anyone on here speak Russian?

Aikenrooster

Just out of curiosity I've learned the Russian alphabet, pronunciation rules, and I'm fiddling with several apps trying to learn simple words. I've been pleasantly surprised at how many words are similiar, or make sense , but just spelled in Cryllic. However, some of them just require rote memorization.

Anyway, any tips going forward from anyone? спасибо

I learned a fair hit when I travelled there on business over 20 years ago. I have forgotten most. Funny the first line someone taught me back then was "yellow blue vase" which closely resembles " I love you" in Russian. Guess they were commenting on the social situation at the time.

During the famous 1972 hockey series between Canada and the USSR (this was in the days of the cold war) I remember 1 slogan:

Da Da Canada

Nyet Nyet Soviet

Never heard that before! Love it!

I don´t speak Russian, but just started Norwegian classes. It´s incredibly difficult, especially when it´s a language you´re not surrounded by...I guess for North Americans it´s easy to learn Spanish these days because it´s easily accessible on TV and there´s a good chance you know a Spanish speaking person close to you. In my case, I´m learning because it can help me in my work, but it´s quite hard to practice with anyone...

I think Spanish would be easier to learn because every vowel is a different syllable, and pronunciation doesn't take too long to learn- and it also has many words rooted in Latin, just as English does, too.

The Scandinavian languages are much different because they have some letters that aren't even in our alphabet, and some things that look familiar enough that I think I'd be able to pronounce, I'm totally wrong about them.

And as far as Russian is concerned, I would think the Cyrillic alphabet is infinitely harder to learn, too.

I studied French for five years, myself. And Dutch, for about a year.

I have an uncle who's retired from the Air Force, and he was a translator, specializing in Russian and Mandarin.

• Like 1

I think Spanish would be easier to learn because every vowel is a different syllable, and pronunciation doesn't take too long to learn- and it also has many words rooted in Latin, just as English does, too.

The Scandinavian languages are much different because they have some letters that aren't even in our alphabet, and some things that look familiar enough that I think I'd be able to pronounce, I'm totally wrong about them.

And as far as Russian is concerned, I would think the Cyrillic alphabet is infinitely harder to learn, too.

I have an uncle who's retired from the Air Force, and he was a translator, specializing in Russian and Mandarin.

Spanish is relatively easy for the reasons you mentioned, but there are 19 web tenses.

I've almost got the Cyrillic alphabet down pat, and have found that a lot of the words sound the same: миллион. That word is pronounced "milli on". The accent is just in a different place, which is now the trouble I'm having. In Spanish there are rules about where the accent is, and if its different, there's an accent mark. That doesn't seem to be the case in Russian. Speaking of case, the nouns change case, so that Will be new. Also, an unstressed "a" and "o" sound different and it's giving fits because I can't figure out where the accent is by looking at the word. Then the hard sign and soft sign don't quite make sense yet, but I understand stressed and unstressed consonantsconsonants.

I think Spanish would be easier to learn because every vowel is a different syllable,

For the record, Spanish has dipthongs.

¿Bien?

I sit corrected. ;) I must not really be up to speed on my diphthongs.

Spanish is relatively easy for the reasons you mentioned, but there are 19 web tenses.

I've almost got the Cyrillic alphabet down pat, and have found that a lot of the words sound the same: миллион. That word is pronounced "milli on". The accent is just in a different place, which is now the trouble I'm having. In Spanish there are rules about where the accent is, and if its different, there's an accent mark. That doesn't seem to be the case in Russian. Speaking of case, the nouns change case, so that Will be new. Also, an unstressed "a" and "o" sound different and it's giving fits because I can't figure out where the accent is by looking at the word. Then the hard sign and soft sign don't quite make sense yet, but I understand stressed and unstressed consonantsconsonants.

Curiouser and curiouser it becomes...

I know Rushian...

...Only immortal for a limited time

...If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

...You won't get wise with the sleep still in your eyes no matter what your dreams might be