ATWAS

Lorraine

This is off of ATWAS.

In The End:

:wub: ....

It always makes me cry, and I don't know why. :laughing guy: I don't think they ever did another song like that one.

I understand completely. I latched onto that song above all others pretty much right away almost 39 years ago (geez) now and it has never let go of me. I used to skip By Tor alot way back in the day but never would now and haven't for a long time. Those two fit together on there like peanut butter and jelly. I rarely listen to it however because it makes me very emotional and sadness is a big part of it. The "where have all the years gone?" kind of sadness... :sigh:

In The End is only like seven minutes long on ATWAS.

That's the only way I can give it to you. It was sent to me on two things (I'm assuming it was originally a double album?) and that's what my counter says. That is the only count I can give you unless I can find it on a bootleg.

That's the only way I can give it to you. It was sent to me on two things (I'm assuming it was originally a double album?) and that's what my counter says. That is the only count I can give you unless I can find it on a bootleg.

That makes it more difficult to know what part of the song you're talking about then. The copy you have must be the whole album on one track?

• Like 2

You'll have to time it with a stopwatch or something. I have no idea where in the songs you're talking about.

Rather than start another ATWAS thread, I want to ask a question about Alex and what other famous (at the time of this concert) guitarist he sounds like.

I can't figure out whether he is trying to sound like the Allman Brothers or Molley Hatchet Band or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Listening to In The End, Working Man/Finding My Way - just so you know my reference point for my question.

I don't think he was trying to sound like anyone other than himself, but at that point in time you can still hear a fair amount of Jimmy Page's influence. Alex has also said that Steve Hackett was a pretty big influence around that time.

I don't know that Alex has ever been noticeably influenced by any of the Southern rock players.

Well I hear it in In The End and Working Man. Not sure what guitarist I'm hearing (doesn't remind me of Jimmy Page at all), and I was never a fan of any of the southern rock players or bands, but that's who my mind turns to when I hear it. If you want, I can give you the points of the songs that I am specifically referring to.

i didn't mean that he is purposely trying to sound like anyone, but the influence of some guitarist seems to be there. I just am not sure which one.

The solo in the first half of Before and After has that southern slide guitar feel to it.

In The End off of Fly By Night: 1:55 - 2:00, 4:00 (especially at 4:23) to 4:44. The album version isn't the same, but you get an idea mostly from the part that starts at 4:00.

I really do love the song. :)

I was just listening to that. Doesn't really jump out at me as being a rip off of something else or someone else's style offhand. It's just the solo parts. You can definitely hear the Jimmy Page influence in his playing but he's got his own style even then.

Edited by EagleMoon

Rather than start another ATWAS thread, I want to ask a question about Alex and what other famous (at the time of this concert) guitarist he sounds like.

I can't figure out whether he is trying to sound like the Allman Brothers or Molley Hatchet Band or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Listening to In The End, Working Man/Finding My Way - just so you know my reference point for my question.

Lorraine, I understand what you are saying - from a technical perspective

What Alex is doing is playing within a harmonic minor scale, which was/is a staple of a lot of southern rock players ( .. This is what is used in the beginning of "Gimme Three Steps" for example )

This approach is not limited to southern rock, as most of the metal ballads of the 80s used it for a certain feel

Dickey Betts of The Allman Bros used it a lot, as did Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson in Thin Lizzy

Each song is in a certain key - key of A for example - and in the key of A, F# minor is the complementary scale ..

It is a very rock and roll / country based application

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Maybe it's me, but I always thought the solo in In The Mood was very Ted Nugent-ish. The early material was very straight ahead rock that you could find closely related to alot of other material but after COS they separated from the herd.