If you could learn how to play ONE Rush song…

Disk98

To those who've said here that there are 'many Rush songs' that you can play- to that, I can only ask, "Really?"

Whether it be bass, guitar, drums, or vocals- we are talking about three singularly gifted, virtuoso professional musicians who have spent a lifetime honing and perfecting their craft.

Now, I understand where you're coming from when you say you can play some Rush songs- as a drummer, I can play some of what Neil does. I've always said that I can do a reasonable facsimile of what Neil plays. But certainly not everything, in a given song. And certainly not something like La Villa Strangiato, for god's sake! And I've been playing the drums for nearly 30 years.

But hey, if you can, that's awesome. Maybe I'm just an idiot. I don't know.

I just started playing rhythm guitar a couple of years ago, and I'd love just to be able to play and sing at the same time. I can play some things, and I can sing some things. But putting those two things together is a vastly different animal, for me.

Carry on...

I can only answer this for myself, but yeah, I can play most all of their songs, but I've been playing them and learning them close to 40 years. I've also been playing out in bands since I was 17. As each new album came out, I would learn the songs. I was in a Rush tribute band as the bassist/keyboardist and singer for several years. That really made me work to practice, let me tell you!

This is a stupid question, but how did you know you had musical talent?

To those who've said here that there are 'many Rush songs' that you can play- to that, I can only ask, "Really?"

Whether it be bass, guitar, drums, or vocals- we are talking about three singularly gifted, virtuoso professional musicians who have spent a lifetime honing and perfecting their craft.

Now, I understand where you're coming from when you say you can play some Rush songs- as a drummer, I can play some of what Neil does. I've always said that I can do a reasonable facsimile of what Neil plays. But certainly not everything, in a given song. And certainly not something like La Villa Strangiato, for god's sake! And I've been playing the drums for nearly 30 years.

I just started playing rhythm guitar a couple of years ago, and I'd love just to be able to play and sing at the same time. I can play some things, and I can sing some things. But putting those two things together is a vastly different animal, for me.

Carry on...

I can only answer this for myself, but yeah, I can play most all of their songs, but I've been playing them and learning them close to 40 years. I've also been playing out in bands since I was 17. As each new album came out, I would learn the songs. I was in a Rush tribute band as the bassist/keyboardist and singer for several years. That really made me work to practice, let me tell you!

This is a stupid question, but how did you know you had musical talent?

Interesting question. Everybody in my family played some sort of musical instrument. My grandmother used to play piano for the black-and-white movies at the theaters. My mom and sister play piano and sing, my dad played guitar. So I was exposed to it at a very young age. Also played in band all through school. All of my friends played instruments and we had a little band we put together when I was 15. So I supposed to answer your question, it was a matter of desire and practice. I suppose you have to have some sort of affinity for it to keep doing it for years and years.

• Like 1

all i can say is i can play closer to the heart pretty good and i think it sounds awesome on just an acoustic and it's a classic so everyone loves it!!! the trees i can play as well but not many people get that song and it picks up pretty heavy. I can't play them note for note exact, but all the songs i've learned to play i don't play them like it is on the record anyways got to give it my own flare abit

Yeah i'd learn to play Hope on acoustic then on hot summer days i'd strip off to denim shorts in my garden and, while sitting on a stool, allow the melodic notes to flow out of my guitar and mesmerise the local young ladies

The only one I might have a shot at learning any instrument for is BU2B2

I would love to learn how to play Hope though

Little known fact. I invented the drum pattern for that.

I don't know what that means. Can you explain it to me?

In any event, I am quite impressed. You did such a good job that it is hard to pick the drums out at all on the song. :)

Freewill on guitar

At my first guitar lesson I gave my guitar teacher the Guitar World Tab for Free Will and said " I want to learn this".

Guitar teacher's response...."not quite just yet".

• Like 1

Carry on...

Finally a believable post by a musician who can play Rush music proficiently. It's nice to hear someone talk about how long they've played and how much they had to practice. The people who piss me off are the guys who have drummed for 9 months and claim they can play everything from PeW through Signals, with ease. It makes me want to jump off a f***ing bridge.

• Like 1

Carry on...

Finally a believable post by a musician who can play Rush music proficiently. It's nice to hear someone talk about how long they've played and how much they had to practice. The people who piss me off are the guys who have drummed for 9 months and claim they can play everything from PeW through Signals, with ease. It makes me want to jump off a f***ing bridge.

Yeah, wishful thinking I think. However it is a little easier for young musician starting out today. They have YouTube, DVD videos and all sorts of resources now that people didn't have when I started playing. The biggest handicap young musicians have today is relying on tabs and not making the effort to learn by ear and it's always a good idea to learn to read music. They can possibly learn to play something that they have learned off of a CD or MP3 , but when it comes to improvisation or playing in different keys or time signatures they're completely lost.

To answer the OP: NatSci

Unbelievable. Especially given the fact that the bass player sings the damn lyrics. Amazing. I can kinda sing, and I can kinda play, but not at the same time.

I am definetly not worthy and bow to the Art of Geddy. What a man.

Welcome to the forum. You're going to fit in really well here. :)

Carry on...

I don't want to make you fly off a bridge on Christmas eve or anything but I was kinda like that. Mainly because I had about 30 years experience "air drumming" to Rush before I ever sat behind a kit! When I did buy my first kit a little over a year ago I really felt like a natural drummer.. But one that could play Rush almost better than AC-DC!!

Learning drums is easy but learning Rush is hard..

I'm not saying I can play any song complete, I can play maybe less that 5 songs note for note but you take just about any Rush song and I can get usually 80% of it bang on, usually the first 3/4.. Neil likes to challenge me towards the end of the song.. Every fukking time!! :P

Carry on...

I don't want to make you fly off a bridge on Christmas eve or anything but I was kinda like that. Mainly because I had about 30 years experience "air drumming" to Rush before I ever sat behind a kit! When I did buy my first kit a little over a year ago I really felt like a natural drummer.. But one that could play Rush almost better than AC-DC!!

I'm not saying I can play any song complete, I can play maybe less that 5 songs note for note but you take just about any Rush song and I can get usually 80% of it bang on, usually the first 3/4.. Neil likes to challenge me towards the end of the song.. Every fukking time!! :P

I've been itching to buy a kit for three years now and at 35 years old, for whatever reason, I still can't convince myself that it's worthy endeavor. Hell, I've listened to Rush my entire life, I used to set up six or seven five gallon drums and use frying pan lids as my symbols, strap on the walk-man and beat the hell out of stuff trying to cover Tom Sawer, Subdivisions, Time Stands Still, etc.

These days, along with Neil, I have a lot of other drummers who are very inspiring to me, Stewart Copeland, Danny Carey, Gavin Harrison, etc. My biggest problem is I don't know the first f***ing place to start. My daughter plays drum for school so she has a good Ludwig snare and pad I could practice on but I don't the first thing about rudiments and counting notes and all that crap. Drumming for me has always appeared to be more of a feel kind of thing. I hope to give it a try someday.

Carry on...

I've been itching to buy a kit for three years now and at 35 years old, for whatever reason, I still can't convince myself that it's worthy endeavor. Hell, I've listened to Rush my entire life, I used to set up six or seven five gallon drums and use frying pan lids as my symbols, strap on the walk-man and beat the hell out of stuff trying to cover Tom Sawer, Subdivisions, Time Stands Still, etc.

These days, along with Neil, I have a lot of other drummers who are very inspiring to me, Stewart Copeland, Danny Carey, Gavin Harrison, etc. My biggest problem is I don't know the first f***ing place to start. My daughter plays drum for school so she has a good Ludwig snare and pad I could practice on but I don't the first thing about rudiments and counting notes and all that crap. Drumming for me has always appeared to be more of a feel kind of thing. I hope to give it a try someday.

You might be able to find a drum instructor who has a set you could take lessons on to see if you really want to buy your own.

I can play bits and pieces of all of the ones I've tried. Though I can play yyz on the bass, I lack the stamina to get through the whole thing. If I could choose something it would be to play the gtr solo in La Villa Strangiato with the same emotion Lifeson does it with.

Carry on...

Ya it is a feel kind of thing I think, but if you've been interested in it and have done the five gallon drum thing like I did lol, then you probably have the feel. If you're like me you probably have enough knowledge to start playing around and teaching yourself songs to see if you like it. I'd start with a cheap used kit. I've seen them for a slow as $40. Just do it! ;)