Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Geddy Lee's vocals?

Tony R

No, I'm not ashamed how he sings. He can still belt out a song. It's just that his voice isn't the same as it once was. I often think if I didn't know what he used to sound like, the way he sounds today wouldn't bother me so much.

I watched and listened to the Grace Under Pressure tour show last night and posted about it. He sang those songs so great and seemingly with no effort. If I didn't know that I wouldn't know the difference and his struggles as of late.....

Didn't you love The Weapon on that? If Xanadu wasn't on ESL, Grace Under Pressure would be my favorite dvd. And I agree with the what you wrote.

It was awesome and it is definitely more easy on the eyes than their recent concert footage efforts. No signs of seasickness at all in my tummy. Excellent variety in the setlist and it was the first time I had seen it. I really wanted to tear up to be honest. Something I know at least you would understand....

I do understand, and the same thing happens to me. It's a shame we have to get older. :codger:

If you had seen these shows I imagine it would be even worse. I saw all of them from 79' - 87' and it makes me sad to see them again. Life got real busy then and didn't see another til Vapor Trails.... :codger:

That's right. I forgot you actually saw them on these tours. Yeah, that would make me feel worse watching them today for sure.

I love Geddy's voice from back then, and I love Geddy's voice now. I have to say that as much as I've sometimes wished that I could have become a Rush fan back when I was a teenager and grown up and grown older with them, quite often the folks here make me downright thankful that I didn't. Instead of having to fondly remember Rush as an old flame from the past, I'm able to experience one of the greatest musical loves of my life in a fresh and vital way right now. So thank you, naysayers, your reminding me of my good fortune is appreciated! :yes: :cheers:

I'm not sure I see that much of a difference except that we had a lot of years with Ged sounding great. What's on recorded media is available to everyone.

I think what she means is when she goes to a rush show, she's not wishing she was 15 again like most folks here. she's enjoying herself.

• Like 1

No, I'm not ashamed how he sings. He can still belt out a song. It's just that his voice isn't the same as it once was. I often think if I didn't know what he used to sound like, the way he sounds today wouldn't bother me so much.

I watched and listened to the Grace Under Pressure tour show last night and posted about it. He sang those songs so great and seemingly with no effort. If I didn't know that I wouldn't know the difference and his struggles as of late.....

Didn't you love The Weapon on that? If Xanadu wasn't on ESL, Grace Under Pressure would be my favorite dvd. And I agree with the what you wrote.

It was awesome and it is definitely more easy on the eyes than their recent concert footage efforts. No signs of seasickness at all in my tummy. Excellent variety in the setlist and it was the first time I had seen it. I really wanted to tear up to be honest. Something I know at least you would understand....

I do understand, and the same thing happens to me. It's a shame we have to get older. :codger:

If you had seen these shows I imagine it would be even worse. I saw all of them from 79' - 87' and it makes me sad to see them again. Life got real busy then and didn't see another til Vapor Trails.... :codger:

That's right. I forgot you actually saw them on these tours. Yeah, that would make me feel worse watching them today for sure.

I love Geddy's voice from back then, and I love Geddy's voice now. I have to say that as much as I've sometimes wished that I could have become a Rush fan back when I was a teenager and grown up and grown older with them, quite often the folks here make me downright thankful that I didn't. Instead of having to fondly remember Rush as an old flame from the past, I'm able to experience one of the greatest musical loves of my life in a fresh and vital way right now. So thank you, naysayers, your reminding me of my good fortune is appreciated! :yes: :cheers:

You are very welcome I think.... :D
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I see that much of a difference except that we had a lot of years with Ged sounding great. What's on recorded media is available to everyone.

I think what she means is when she goes to a rush show, she's not wishing she was 15 again like most folks here. she's enjoying herself.

This^^^^ bathory right on it as per usual.... :cheers:

Edit: Just wanted to make clear what I meant here. I don't want to be that age again but I wouldn't mind if Ged sounded that way again. Its not so much a longing to be younger again as it is a looking back with a fondness and feeling some emotion because of that fondness.....

Edited by Narpski

Ashamed of his voice? Nah. Never.

Actually, of all the rock voices that caused my mother to twitch and scream, it was not the high pitched wails of Ged on everything prior to Permanent Waves..... it was Lemmy Kimlister... the moment I dropped the needle on Motorhead (that's a record... on a turntable... for some of you youngins out there) she was hollering and banging and cursing and such.

• Like 1

This^^^^ bathory right on it as per usual.... :cheers:

Edit: Just wanted to make clear what I meant here. I don't want to be that age again but I wouldn't mind if Ged sounded that way again. Its not so much a longing to be younger again as it is a looking back with a fondness and feeling some emotion because of that fondness.....

yeah I don't think anybody actually wants to be 15 again. :LOL:

I didn't quite get that from what she said so thanks. I think most of us when we go to a concert enjoy it while we are there. And I think those of us who are older and have been long time fans are just saddened by the decline rather than angry or anything. Even though it might've come across that way sometimes.

• Like 2

I didn't quite get that from what she said so thanks. I think most of us when we go to a concert enjoy it while we are there. And I think those of us who are older and have been long time fans are just saddened by the decline rather than angry or anything. Even though it might've come across that way sometimes.

I understand :)

Yep this^^^^ I get so confused sometimes...... :wacko: :codger: :sigh:
  • Like 1

I'm confused about why you're confused. :LOL:

• Like 1

I don't know. :wacko: I want to critique and be honest about this kind of stuff without sounding bitter or mean. Its a tough tightrope to walk at times. I love the band and Ged and they have been a big part of my life for sure.... :)

I don't know. :wacko: I want to critique and be honest about this kind of stuff without sounding bitter or mean. Its a tough tightrope to walk at times. I love the band and Ged and they have been a big part of my life for sure.... :)

Give it a shot. There are ways to say things without being mean or bitter. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Just an observation. I think for the most part if you have a favorite vocalist...you know deep down that someday somehow the voice is gonna go. Unless they somehow get lucky. But still it's very sad when it happens. And the best you can do is keep supporting they're work while they could still go.

Mick

This is me, right here. I get that he doesn't sound like he once did but I wasn't fortunate enough to be born or be old enough depending on what decade you're looking at, to see them in the earlier years. Vapor Trails and forward is all I'll ever have, so I take it and enjoy it as much as possible.

Just an observation. I think for the most part if you have a favorite vocalist...you know deep down that someday somehow the voice is gonna go. Unless they somehow get lucky. But still it's very sad when it happens. And the best you can do is keep supporting they're work while they could still go.

Mick

Fortunately, there are a lucky few who still sing like a total boss at their age, most notably Paul Rodgers, Bruce Dickinson, and Tommy Shaw. Rodgers at 64, Dickinson at 56, and Shaw at 61, Geddy's age

Edited by BowlCity

Does the phrase "it sounds like a woman" mean anything to you?

ive had it said to me. but i dont hear the femininity.

So you sound like a woman as well as looking like one..?

First of all, I was saying that I have been told that GEDDY sounds feminine, NOT me.

And my voice is fine. Bit posh but perfectly fine.

And I look like a woman? Really?

Really.

Jesus, Tony.

Jesus indeed. I would have answered "yes" if I was serious.

Sowwy if woo were offended Siegy baby.

You Americans and your complete inability to not take yourselves too seriously.

First of all, I was saying that I have been told that GEDDY sounds feminine, NOT me.

Really.

Jesus, Tony.

I ain't an American! I am English with dutch, french, south african, afghan and Zambian heritage.

Have fun with that...

Really.

Jesus, Tony.

I ain't an American! I am English with dutch, french, south african, afghan and Zambian heritage.

Have fun with that...

Goose is an American, so are most of the likers.

I am English, Scottish, Irish and Italian through my grandparents.

There's a joke in there somewhere but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings...

• Like 1

Really.

Jesus, Tony.

Have fun with that...

I had eggs for breakfast
  • Like 1

Really.

Jesus, Tony.

Have fun with that...

I had eggs for breakfast

Ha! I had an English Muffin. That should score me some points! ;)

• Like 1