Yes, an insult to fans but - - - -

nicky6

I became a fan in 1980 at age 15. Bought all the albums within a few months, and have not missed a tour since 1981. Have bought each album and DVD within a couple of days of release and rebought on CD. Bought Chronicles just for the live version of What You're Doing, because it was left off the first CD of ATWAS. Did not buy compilations after Chronicles, and decided not to buy Feedback because I didn't want them to waste concert time playing covers. I rebought R30 on blue ray to have the complete show. I've been wanting a DVD of the 97 Toronto show for years. I was at that show. However, with family expenses I can't justify rebuying these DVDs again at this time. You may laugh at one of the deciding factors, but with two kids who are Taylor Swift fans, we will have a family outing to her Toronto show. Don't like her latest album but thought abough half of her previous album was not bad and liked most of the two before that. Hoping the kids will come to like Rush but re-buying just isn't happening soon. I think they are doing this because it also counts towards sales of the older DVDs and that increases their bargaining power when negotiating for future releases. Hoping for a separate 97 show release. Edited by Grover
  • Like 1

I think it's hilarious people are getting their panties in a wad. How can you complain if they're releasing new stuff? If you don't want to pay what they're asking for it, then don't buy it. I don't know why it would be an insult to anyone. It's just merchandising.
  • Like 1

I think it's hilarious people are getting their panties in a wad. How can you complain if they're releasing new stuff? If you don't want to pay what they're asking for it, then don't buy it. I don't know why it would be an insult to anyone. It's just merchandising.

I think that's true. I suppose what's making people upset is the fact that we want the extras, and there should be an option to just buy the extras. To me, it would make good merchandising sense to release a separate package of those extra goodies. They must know that many fans won't bother buying a big expensive box set given that the videos will appear online—but also that there are many fans who would buy a single disc with the old 74 stuff and 97 stuff because they like to own physical copies and support their favorite band. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a single release bonus disc outsold the box set.

If some canny merchandising executive is thinking they can make more money from fans who will buy the box set just to get the bonus material, he or she only has to skim through this forum to see how fans are divided on that issue.

And if they do release a single disc later, how ticked off will those fans be who grudgingly bought the box because they just wanted the extras?

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm not a marketing expert, but I am a fan, and I know for sure that I am hesitant to buy the box, but I would snap up copies of a single DVD for myself and all my friends without hesitation.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

If you don't like it, then just don't buy it, no one is holding a gun to your head...

Bell ends like you really piss me off. Some fans have been supporting the band for 40 years and have bought everything the band has released something the band, their management and the record companies know full well. Pricing something at this point is exploitation of the goodwill of the fans.

• Like 3

This isn't wisdom it is naivety or blind fandom.

The band is exploiting their faithful fans. When you see the 97 show released on its own you will realise what a sheep you are.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 1

The band is exploiting their faithful fans. When you see the 97 show released on its own you will realise what a sheep you are.

Not me personally. It's just not that important to me since I saw it when they were live. Having it on disc is just no biggie.

Not me personally. It's just not that important to me since I saw it when they were live. Having it on disc is just no biggie.

It's the "If you don't want to pay what they're asking for it, then don't buy it" mantra that gets bandied around here so much. Has it ever occurred to you that they rely on blind fandom for 2014's income? If they sell 50,000 then that's a million bucks. Judging by sales of previous releases and the socio-economic profile of the bands hardcore fans they have probably priced this release accordingly.

Sick.

• Like 1

It's the "If you don't want to pay what they're asking for it, then don't buy it" mantra that gets bandied around here so much. Has it ever occurred to you that they rely on blind fandom for 2014's income? If they sell 50,000 then that's a million bucks. Judging by sales of previous releases and the socio-economic profile of the bands hardcore fans they have probably priced this release accordingly.

Sick.

How does anyone know what the "socioeconomic profile" of "hardcore fans" is? I considered myself a hardcore fan when I was a teenager and didn't have any money, and I consider myself still a huge fan now that I have slightly more money (not that much more, actually...). I suspect that Rush has fans from every socioeconomic stratum. I guess what I'm saying is, that if that's how the big boys in merch are thinking, it doesn't make sense to me. Is there anyone who doubts that tons of fans would snap up single DVDs with the 74 and 97 material? Or is it that doing so would hurt sales of the higher-priced box to the point that it wouldn't make sense to release it? Are they really going to make more money selling the box than they would selling the single? Also, is the strategy to release a single DVD of the 97 show later really a wise marketing strategy? All the fans who grudgingly bought the box set "just for the extras" will not buy that, and they'll be cheesed off, as well. Have a bunch of stuffed suits sat around a meeting table and talked all of this out?

(sorry Lorraine, I didn't realize I was butting in)

Edited by toymaker

Sick.

I don't get how it's sick. The band is a business. People tend to forget that. If you can't afford it, I can see why you'd be a bit pissed. But I'm sure there are people who couldn't afford it if it was $50 or $30 or whatever. It's their merchandise, they can price it however they like.

Sick.

How does anyone know what the "socioeconomic profile" of "hardcore fans" is? I considered myself a hardcore fan when I was a teenager and didn't have any money, and I consider myself still a huge fan now that I have slightly more money (not that much more, actually...). I suspect that Rush has fans from every socioeconomic stratum. I guess what I'm saying is, that if that's how the big boys in merch are thinking, it doesn't make sense to me. Is there anyone who doubts that tons of fans would snap up singe DVDs with the 74 and 97 material? Or is it that doing so would hurt sales of the higher-priced box to the point that it wouldn't make sense to release it? Are they really going to make more money selling the box than they would selling the single? Also, is the strategy to release a single DVD of the 97 show later really a wise marketing strategy? All the fans who grudgingly bought the box set "just for the extras" will not buy that, and they'll be cheesed off, as well. Have a bunch of stuffed suits sat around a meeting table and talked all of this out?

You are very naive.

Rush themselves have put much of their recent resurgence and media profile down to their fans being movers and shakers in modern media and politics. This is well documented, not some kind of arcane science.

Sick.

How does anyone know what the "socioeconomic profile" of "hardcore fans" is? I considered myself a hardcore fan when I was a teenager and didn't have any money, and I consider myself still a huge fan now that I have slightly more money (not that much more, actually...). I suspect that Rush has fans from every socioeconomic stratum. I guess what I'm saying is, that if that's how the big boys in merch are thinking, it doesn't make sense to me. Is there anyone who doubts that tons of fans would snap up singe DVDs with the 74 and 97 material? Or is it that doing so would hurt sales of the higher-priced box to the point that it wouldn't make sense to release it? Are they really going to make more money selling the box than they would selling the single? Also, is the strategy to release a single DVD of the 97 show later really a wise marketing strategy? All the fans who grudgingly bought the box set "just for the extras" will not buy that, and they'll be cheesed off, as well. Have a bunch of stuffed suits sat around a meeting table and talked all of this out?

You are very naive.

Rush themselves have put much of their recent resurgence and media profile down to their fans being movers and shakers in modern media and politics. This is well documented, not some kind of arcane science.

There may be some truth to that, but I think you're giving them too much credit. As talented as they are, not all of us fans are the stereotypical desperate nerd or corporate sociopath. Some people just really like the music.

• Like 3

Sick.

You are very naive.

There may be some truth to that, but I think you're giving them too much credit. As talented as they are, not all of us fans are the stereotypical desperate nerd or corporate sociopath. Some people just really like the music.

If that post was an illustration of the use of non sequiturs it was a fine post. Otherwise keep smoking the hemp.