Segue Myle's Descent Into Self-Indulgence: My Top Ten Favourite Albums Of All Time (As Of 2014)

Segue Myles

Dammit Segue. Somehow you've got me addicted to Lacuna Coil :P. I can't stop playing Trip the Darkness and you haven't even mentioned them yet.

Great description of Moving Pictures by the way.

If you think Trip The Darkness is good, which it is, then just wait until you dive deeper into their catalog. I have a feeling the album Segue is picking from them to put on this list wouldn't be my first recommendation for a Lacuna Coil album though.

I am struggling to pick an LC album...

In A Reverie, Unleashed Memories, Comalies, Karmacode and Broken Crown Halo (which is still quite new but oh so impressive), are torturing me.

I cannot choose one LC album! Nostalgia says KC my heart says ALL THE REST!

My top four is very painful...the project I started was so easy when I started!

And LittleRushMonkey, if you enjoy Trip The Darkness, I suggest you try its parent album Dark Adrenaline. Another amazing Lacuna Coil album, and possibly the best place to start!

This sort of project would kill me.......so you're way braver then i for attempting this segue, lol

Mick

Brave? I am wimping out! I went into it believing I knew my definite top ten, but then I start and soon I am thinking "ooh but then there is this, and that, and the other one...AAAAAHHHH!"

I am not convinced Springsteen has a home here, considering some others I am leaving off and as for The Beatles, it is despicable that I have overlooked them but remembered Juliana Theory!

AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Aside from all this pedantic behavior, I secretly love making lists!

"My uncle has a country place, that no one knows about". Everytime I hear these opening words, my mind is taken to a faraway place and I become as one with this song. Of all of the epic Rush songs (and yes I include this one on that list), only Red Barchetta takes me on a complete journey. Sure, I get lost in the wonders of 2112's storytelling, yes I do enter the mystical realms contained within the beauty The Fountain Of Lamneth and the peerless Xanadu, and of course I have come to thoroughly enjoy and appreciate my frequent trips into space with the two parter Cygnus X-1. But I merely listen to those songs, even if it is true I enjoy them more than most. But I live and breathe the same air as the protagonist of Red Barchetta. In fact, I will go as far as to say that I truly believe in the hearts of every Rush fan their lies the fond memories an uncle with a country place. Who of us can say that this song fails to capture them to that distant land, a land that suffers from the terrible outcome of the abominable Motor Law? I doubt any fan can. And best of all, because the lyrics are written splendidly in the first-person, we are all invited to see through another's eyes. Genius, Professor Peart, simply genius! ...

Well put! Like Farenheit 451 (Truffaut's -- the imagery reminds me of the film), it perfectly captures the the collective post WWII fear of authoritarian dystopia without descending into the depressing morbidity common to most dystopia-themed art. Along with Limelight, I think this is Neil's best work. It is perfect, Rush's best moment. When I had completely lost interest in Rush for most of my adult life, it was this, along with a handful of others, that eventually brought me back. But this is the best of the best I think.

• Like 1

This sort of project would kill me.......so you're way braver then i for attempting this segue, lol

Mick

Brave? I am wimping out! I went into it believing I knew my definite top ten, but then I start and soon I am thinking "ooh but then there is this, and that, and the other one...AAAAAHHHH!"

I am not convinced Springsteen has a home here, considering some others I am leaving off and as for The Beatles, it is despicable that I have overlooked them but remembered Juliana Theory!

AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Then just do more reviews if picking them is the most difficult part. Who says a top 10 list has to be definite? Or even just 10? People on the forum break that rule a lot in these threads with "honorable mentions"

• Like 2

"My uncle has a country place, that no one knows about". Everytime I hear these opening words, my mind is taken to a faraway place and I become as one with this song. Of all of the epic Rush songs (and yes I include this one on that list), only Red Barchetta takes me on a complete journey. Sure, I get lost in the wonders of 2112's storytelling, yes I do enter the mystical realms contained within the beauty The Fountain Of Lamneth and the peerless Xanadu, and of course I have come to thoroughly enjoy and appreciate my frequent trips into space with the two parter Cygnus X-1. But I merely listen to those songs, even if it is true I enjoy them more than most. But I live and breathe the same air as the protagonist of Red Barchetta. In fact, I will go as far as to say that I truly believe in the hearts of every Rush fan their lies the fond memories an uncle with a country place. Who of us can say that this song fails to capture them to that distant land, a land that suffers from the terrible outcome of the abominable Motor Law? I doubt any fan can. And best of all, because the lyrics are written splendidly in the first-person, we are all invited to see through another's eyes. Genius, Professor Peart, simply genius! ...

Well put! Like Farenheit 451 (Truffaut's -- the imagery reminds me of the film), it perfectly captures the the collective post WWII fear of authoritarian dystopia without descending into the depressing morbidity common to most dystopia-themed art. Along with Limelight, I think this is Neil's best work. It is perfect, Rush's best moment. When I had completely lost interest in Rush for most of my adult life, it was this, along with a handful of others, that eventually brought me back. But this is the best of the best I think.

As much as I love Limelight and admire Tom Sawyer, for me Red Barchetta is MP's best moment. At first I overlooked it (as I did The Camera Eye) but it is pure genius. If not my favourite Rush song, it is very close!

• Like 1

Mick

AAAAAHHHHH!!!

Then just do more reviews if picking them is the most difficult part. Who says a top 10 list has to be definite? Or even just 10? People on the forum break that rule a lot in these threads with "honorable mentions"

I will continue this Top Ten format to its completion, just for the heck of it, then have fun from this point on!

I love reading reviews, not to be told what to think, but to hear how other people feel music, what certain albums mean for them personally. So if anyone else wants to hijack this thread and have their turn to express love for an album feel free!

No one is forced to write and no one is forced to read. And I beg no one to agree!

All right. I'll have a go :) .

Fair to Midland - Arrows and Anchors

http://www.rocknewsandreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/fair-to-midland-arrows-and-anchors.jpg

Released: July 11th, 2011

Length: 54:37

Band members:

• Darroh Sudderth – vocals,banjo on "Amarillo Sleeps on My Pillow"
  • Cliff Campbell – guitar
  • Jon Dicken – bass guitar
  • Matt Langley – keyboards, marxophone
  • Brett Stowers – drums

One night, about a year ago, I was looking through my Grooveshark recommended feed when I came across this band called Fair to Midland. I clicked on their profile and went to this song called 'Heavens to Murgatroyd' which I didn't think much of. So I looked through this album realized it was only the intro. So I went to see if they were on Youtube and came across 'Musical Chairs'. I was blown away. I actually bought the album two days later.

The full album was even better. I almost believed that the album was only one song. All the songs just fit together so perfectly. Also it's so diverse, every song is completely different and it's own thing but still manages to act like all one song. If you listen to 'A loophole in Limbo' and then 'Rikki Tikki Tavi' you might not even believe it's the same artist let alone the same album. The album is just so awesome and just so different from everything else I have ever heard.

I'll admit it's not for everyone. It's definitely an acquired taste.

My favourite song there is still 'Musical Chairs' and probably always will be, but 'Coppertank Island' and 'Amarillo Sleeps on my Pillow' both have come pretty close.

Well, thanks for reading. I've also found out that me and the keyboardist share the same surname from writing this.

If you decide to check them out then good for you, if you don't, then it's your loss :P . But it's your opinion either way.

• Like 1

Yay! I want to retitle this thread now!

Will have to check them out further...I know of them and played a few tracks and was quite into it

• Like 1

I love this so far. Really insightful.

Curious. Since you've listed Michael Jackson, have you heard the cuts he co-wrote with Rushgoober?

Off the Wall and Thriller slay Dangerous IMO...BUT to each his own

• Like 1

Curious. Since you've listed Michael Jackson, have you heard the cuts he co-wrote with Rushgoober?

No I haven't! And I prefer Bad to both of those albums!

But thank you, I really enjoy writing so vented off team by doing it in this thread.

So can anyone who cares to do an album review on here?.....

I contemplated making this a review thread for all when I started, but decided to focus on a little project of my own. The intention was to get others to try their hand at it, as in the Rush section it appears we are treading the same waters over and over again, so why not spread the focus on various members other interests in keen detail?

LittleRushMonkey joined in, so more please!

But focus on album, not bands (although how you choose to cover the band within the album review is up to the individual!).

When I am ready and willing, i will continue with my list from 4 to 1!

Edited by Segue Myles

I prefer Bad to both of those albums!

But thank you, I really enjoy writing so vented off team by doing it in this thread.

I contemplated making this a review thread for all when I started, but decided to focus on a little project of my own. The intention was to get others to try their hand at it, as in the Rush section it appears we are treading the same waters over and over again, so why not spread the focus on various members other interests in keen detail?

But focus on album, not bands (although how you choose to cover the band within the album review is up to the individual!).

Cool. If I could write worth a sh*t I would do it. For example I am listening to Tormato right now and would love to extol its virtues song by song but I am afraid I couldn't come up with the words to properly describe what I feel. Oh well.... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 3

Cool. If I could write worth a sh*t I would do it. For example I am listening to Tormato right now and would love to extol its virtues song by song but I am afraid I couldn't come up with the words to properly describe what I feel. Oh well.... :)

Hey bitchskillet (I just made that word up), why don't you TRY? You're amongst friends

• Like 1

Cool. If I could write worth a sh*t I would do it. For example I am listening to Tormato right now and would love to extol its virtues song by song but I am afraid I couldn't come up with the words to properly describe what I feel. Oh well.... :)

Their is more to a review than fancy words.

You gave Presto a try, why not review writing?

I would love to read your analysis, or at their very least basic thoughts, of Tormato, Going For The One, All The Worlds A Stage and any other album you so happen to have strong feelings for.

My thoughts towards this thread is speak your mind, but also to be respectful for others opinions (a review is only one persons thoughts, so no amount of hate towards that album/band from others is going to change the individuals mind).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

Hey bitchskillet (I just made that word up), why don't you TRY? You're amongst friends

Nice word. I just might do that at some point.... :madra:

I would love to read your analysis, or at their very least basic thoughts, of Tormato, Going For The One, All The Worlds A Stage and any other album you so happen to have strong feelings for.

My thoughts towards this thread is speak your mind, but also to be respectful for others opinions (a review is only one persons thoughts, so no amount of hate towards that album/band from others is going to change the individuals mind).

I'll give it a shot soon. Thanks gents for the encouragement. Much appreciated.....
  • Like 1

Man you don't even have to be accurate in a review. I read a review of the Clockwork Angels Live DVD when it first came out. It was complete BS but it's still getting hits.

All you have to do is just make stuff up and people will dig it!

• Like 2

Man you don't even have to be accurate in a review. I read a review of the Clockwork Angels Live DVD when it first came out. It was complete BS but it's still getting hits.

Like that RS review I read around the time I first showed up here?.... :LOL:
  • Like 1

Whoever wrote that is AOK with me. Funny stuff according to his readers...assuming he is in fact a guy. Could be a chick for all we know

Whoever wrote that is AOK with me. Funny stuff according to his readers...assuming he is in fact a guy. Could be a chick for all we know

I went crazy. I will never forget that one.... :LOL:
  • Like 1

Lorraine and Alsgalpal's responses were classic. You said it offended your "feminine" side

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Lorraine and Alsgalpal's responses were classic. You said it offended your "feminine" side

Give me a link or it never happened

• Like 1

Give me a link or it never happened

I wouldn't mind seeing it again myself. i don't feel up to digging for it right now. Maybe TM can find it......