Segue Myle's Descent Into Self-Indulgence: My Top Ten Favourite Albums Of All Time (As Of 2014)

Segue Myles

I like Ray.

I do have to confess that I thought he was a one hit wonder

:o

(Has he had a hit?) :D

He is another one of my very favourites.

• Like 1

I like Ray.

I do have to confess that I thought he was a one hit wonder

:o

(Has he had a hit?) :D

He is another one of my very favourites.

I think about a decade ago he had a bit of a moment in the UK and his album was advertised everywhere for a while...

Blue J, Post was stunning. I loved Vespertine as well. It was like Massive Attack turned jazz and made it all a whole lot weirder
  • Like 1

Blue J, Post was stunning. I loved Vespertine as well. It was like Massive Attack turned jazz and made it all a whole lot weirder

Haha...that's an interesting take, and I can see what you mean. She covers enough various different ground that the things we hear in all that stuff is even broader- exponentially so.

Haha...that's an interesting take, and I can see what you mean. She covers enough various different ground that the things we hear in all that stuff is even broader- exponentially so.

Its phenomenal.

I can't even believe what I am hearing.

• Like 1

Mick, I prefer discussing music here. Good grief everywhere I go it's like freedom of speech is illegal haha!
  • Like 1

Ok, so this is my review thread for my favourite albums of all time. I have limited this list to just one album per artist, as my taste is varied and I desire to have this list reflect that.

Also, it just so happens that my ten favourite albums are by ten different artists, so that goal worked out for me anyway regardless!

So, ten albums have to be mentioned first that missed out:

20. Beyonce- Dangerously In Love

19. Michael Jackson- Dangerous

18. Mineral- End Serenading

17. Paramore- Paramore

16. Various- Dreamgirls OST: Deluxe Version

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

14. The Beatles- The Beatles

13. No Doubt- Tragic Kingdom

12. Buckingham Nicks- Buckingham Nicks

11. Alter Bridge- ABIII.5

So, here goes the self-indulgent thread of mine!

These albums are the equivalent to waterboarding. Just saying...

But I'm just stating my opinion so its all good! :)

Mick, I prefer discussing music here. Good grief everywhere I go it's like freedom of speech is illegal haha!

or our thread either one, lol

but i hear ya.

Mick

I meant that thread haha

• Like 1

Ok, so this is my review thread for my favourite albums of all time. I have limited this list to just one album per artist, as my taste is varied and I desire to have this list reflect that.

Also, it just so happens that my ten favourite albums are by ten different artists, so that goal worked out for me anyway regardless!

17. Paramore- Paramore

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

Just back off. I don't want to talk to you.

17. Paramore- Paramore

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

put him on ignore Segue.

BTW.........Because of a certain thread i now hate DT.

Mick

• Like 1

17. Paramore- Paramore

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

put him on ignore Segue.

Mick

Same thing happened to me with Bruce and a certain one of his albums.

Ignore I shall.

17. Paramore- Paramore

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

Awww...

Just talking music. :)

Its all good!

17. Paramore- Paramore

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

put him on ignore Segue.

Mick

If that's really the case you need to grow up.

17. Paramore- Paramore

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

put him on ignore Segue.

Mick

Back at you.

• Like 1

17. Paramore- Paramore

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

put him on ignore Segue.

Mick

i wasn't being serious......but you do need to chill.

all i'm saying,.

Mick

17. Paramore- Paramore

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

put him on ignore Segue.

Mick

all i'm saying,.

Mick

Look, best way to find common ground with me is to not be confrontational and tell what I should or should not do.

You two can can me a villain all you want. You may feel you were have a constructive conversation in my Dream Theater thread, but a lot of it was bait.. It wasn't nice criticizing, it just wasn't. You read some of it. To me you don't like something and you keep beating on it over and over and over, its trolling to me.

17. Paramore- Paramore

15. ABBA- Voulez Vous

put him on ignore Segue.

Mick

all i'm saying,.

Mick

Look, best way to find common ground with me is to not be confrontational and tell what I should or should not do.

You two can can me a villain all you want. You may feel you were have a constructive conversation in my Dream Theater thread, but a lot of it was bait.. It wasn't nice criticizing, it just wasn't. You read some of it. To me you don't like something and you keep beating on it over and over and over, its trolling to me.

You are not a villain.

But you are impossible to enjoy conversation with. If you disagree, disagree, but you don't have to disregard everyone's opinion, or usher away those whose view differs from yours.

If you haven't noticed, me and Mick disagree on lots of things. And it's often fun.

And yes, we even cover the same ground over and over.

• Like 1

Tick........you didn't have a problem with me when we nodding in agreement over TA. now that i've lowered my opinion i should be quiet.

spare me.

the up-itty snobby nature of your posts is what i'm objecting to.

i have no problem with your opinion.

but because others feel different we should shut up!!!!!!!

No.....sorry.

shove that.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

The Black Crowes- Amorica (1994)

tbcamorica.jpg

This is another desert island disc for me. This album just has a huge sound to it. The lilting opening percussion of the opening song, Gone, is drop-kicked out of the way by Rich Robinson's riffing that cuts like a machete.

The added percussion of conga and cowbell throughout the record, though, lend a nice percolating kind of swagger to their sound that had never been there before. It swings, and swings hard...through the pulse and thump and heavy guitars of A Conspiracy and the sledgehammering riff in the refrain of High Head Blues (to which is matched the following lyrics:)

A charmed life it is

At least they tell you so

I've got a very good idea

It ain't like they say it's so

And if it is, then let me go

...the overall feeling, thirteen minutes in, is that of attending a party you were invited to by a friend of a friend of a friend, and indulging in a few too many ill-advised provisions. But the heaviness of the air and the warmth buzzing around in your head throws all caution to the wind, and all that matters is the next note, the next bridge, the next song...

Cursed Diamond is a tune of almost Byzantine complexity, and is just as heavy as the first three...the lyrics tell a tale of the slightest glimmer of hope in the face of doomed love. One of the best songs they ever wrote.

Things wind down with Nonfiction, which is largely acoustic...and then the first half of the record ends with the best song that The Faces never wrote- a double entendre called She Gave Good Sunflower.

Side two opens with a bluesy, crunchy, three and a half minute shuffle called P.25 London, and then comes, in many ways, the centerpiece of the album- Ballad in Urgency going directly into their ultimate life-on-the-road song, Wiser Time. A sitar-like effect on guitar, combined with a church-type organ and drums, begin the slow, soulful tone of Ballad in Urgency, which builds and keeps building...the organ holding away at the end of the tune, leading to the wash of cymbals and hi-hat kicking off into the shy but steady pedal-steel warmth of Wiser Time. Both songs combine to comprise a suite that lasts about eleven minutes.

If there is one clunker on this album, it is Downtown Money Waster- a frustrated but resigned kind of ode to a girlfriend who the protagonist knows better than to take up with, but he did it anyway.

The closing song, Descending, with it's slow to mid-tempo rhythm, acoustic slide guitar riff during the verses, and gorgeous piano outro, wrap up this jewel just beautifully. What has mostly been a huge, raucous, greasy party of an album also has its recognition of the realities that lie just outside the door.

When asked what the title of the album meant, Chris Robinson said, "Amorica is a place where we'd all like to be." Indeed. When I was in my early 20s, this album saved my life, more times than I can remember. The overall statement to me was that no matter how bad certain things might be...there's always a flip side to life.

The cover art caused a moderate amount of backlash when this album dropped, in October of 1994. More than twenty years hence, it seems almost quaint now.

• Like 1

The Black Crowes- Amorica (1994)

tbcamorica.jpg

This is another desert island disc for me. This album just has a huge sound to it. The lilting opening percussion of the opening song, Gone, is drop-kicked out of the way by Rich Robinson's riffing that cuts like a machete.

The added percussion of conga and cowbell throughout the record, though, lend a nice percolating kind of swagger to their sound that had never been there before. It swings, and swings hard...through the pulse and thump and heavy guitars of A Conspiracy and the sledgehammering riff in the refrain of High Head Blues (to which is matched the following lyrics:)

A charmed life it is

At least they tell you so

I've got a very good idea

It ain't like they say it's so

And if it is, then let me go

...the overall feeling, thirteen minutes in, is that of attending a party you were invited to by a friend of a friend of a friend, and indulging in a few too many ill-advised provisions. But the heaviness of the air and the warmth buzzing around in your head throws all caution to the wind, and all that matters is the next note, the next bridge, the next song...

Cursed Diamond is a tune of almost Byzantine complexity, and is just as heavy as the first three...the lyrics tell a tale of the slightest glimmer of hope in the face of doomed love. One of the best songs they ever wrote.

Things wind down with Nonfiction, which is largely acoustic...and then the first half of the record ends with the best song that The Faces never wrote- a double entendre called She Gave Good Sunflower.

Side two opens with a bluesy, crunchy, three and a half minute shuffle called P.25 London, and then comes, in many ways, the centerpiece of the album- Ballad in Urgency going directly into their ultimate life-on-the-road song, Wiser Time. A sitar-like effect on guitar, combined with a church-type organ and drums, begin the slow, soulful tone of Ballad in Urgency, which builds and keeps building...the organ holding away at the end of the tune, leading to the wash of cymbals and hi-hat kicking off into the shy but steady pedal-steel warmth of Wiser Time. Both songs combine to comprise a suite that lasts about eleven minutes.

If there is one clunker on this album, it is Downtown Money Waster- a frustrated but resigned kind of ode to a girlfriend who the protagonist knows better than to take up with, but he did it anyway.

The closing song, Descending, with it's slow to mid-tempo rhythm, acoustic slide guitar riff during the verses, and gorgeous piano outro, wrap up this jewel just beautifully. What has mostly been a huge, raucous, greasy party of an album also has its recognition of the realities that lie just outside the door.

When asked what the title of the album meant, Chris Robinson said, "Amorica is a place where we'd all like to be." Indeed. When I was in my early 20s, this album saved my life, more times than I can remember. The overall statement to me was that no matter how bad certain things might be...there's always a flip side to life.

The cover art caused a moderate amount of backlash when this album dropped, in October of 1994. More than twenty years hence, it seems almost quaint now.

A lot of love for this album...and I love A Conspiracy! One of my favourite songs of last year (as in...that I had discovered for the first time).

• Like 2

When someone like “stoopid” makes a post that Dream Theater “phoned it in” on an album JP worked hard writing on for over two years that’s so ignorant I have a hard time with it. I guess that’s my problem to a degree, but then to follow up with if that’s the best he can do they should just retire, that to me ISN’T constructive criticism anymore, it’s just trolling the thread.

Look, I know I come across abrasive at times but when I read stuff like that it’s just baiting me in a thread for DT fans started over 10 years ago.

I’m ok with people on a messageboard not liking me. I won’t lose sleep over it. Anyone who really knows me personally on this board, and back in the day there were many, know I’m not a bad guy. I’m just the opposite. I have met and become personal friends with well over 50 members of this board. Some of whom are close personal friends of mine to this day.

I feel like if I don’t like something it’s my right to state my opinion on it and debate it a bit. BUT weeks in to an album to keep coming back to say derogatory crap about it STILL is definitely just trolling to me.

I wouldn’t do that in anyone’s thread for a band they love. It goes from ok to state your displeasure which is fine, to just being disrespectful, imo.

Peace

Well personally I think the lyrics are atrocious and that if he is proud of his work, good for him but I don't like them at all.

I think even if he spent years on it, the album is more pulp fiction that an epic for the ages.

It is rubbish.

Good you don't feel that way. Pleased.

But not everyone agrees, or think that the effort paid off.

In fact to me it sounds like they exaggerated the effort they put in. It sounds tired, generic and lazy.

• Like 1