Segue Myle's Descent Into Self-Indulgence: My Top Ten Favourite Albums Of All Time (As Of 2014)

Segue Myles

My next Waits review probably up tomorrow. I really need to study these first 3........as big a fan as i am. I really neglect these 1st 3.

Mick

I wanted to do this for Lacuna Coil but every attempt is disgustingly fanboyish. You do a better job at keeping a level head than me.

I am all "this song is awesome it makes me squeeeeee!!!" and "DIS CHOON ISMA JAM!!!" or "I gotsa feels for days cozza dis"

i could just hear you.

There's middle eastern elements on Karmacode. And whhile it's interesting i........oh who am i kidding. THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Mick

• Like 1

My next Waits review probably up tomorrow. I really need to study these first 3........as big a fan as i am. I really neglect these 1st 3.

Mick

I wanted to do this for Lacuna Coil but every attempt is disgustingly fanboyish. You do a better job at keeping a level head than me.

I am all "this song is awesome it makes me squeeeeee!!!" and "DIS CHOON ISMA JAM!!!" or "I gotsa feels for days cozza dis"

i could just hear you.

There's middle eastern elements on Karmacode. And whhile it's interesting i........oh who am i kidding. THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Mick

Exactly...and reviewing my favourite Springsteen records is the same.

I tried to review Born To Run and...no kidding...it was basically "and this is my favourite part of the record...and moving onto my favourite song...this part is my favourite musical moment...these are my favourite lyrics...this is not my favourite album but it's my favourite album, favourite, favourite, fav-ou-rite, FAVOURITE!!"

• Like 1

Mick

i could just hear you.

lol

Mick

I tried to review Born To Run and...no kidding...it was basically "and this is my favourite part of the record...and moving onto my favourite song...this part is my favourite musical moment...these are my favourite lyrics...this is not my favourite album but it's my favourite album, favourite, favourite, fav-ou-rite, FAVOURITE!!"

interesting you mention Springsteen........i'm doing Waits.......but there's a lot so i want to review a few Springsteen as like little detours.

given my recent clicking with him. i already know the 3 i wanna do.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

i could just hear you.

lol

Mick

interesting you mention Springsteen........i'm doing Waits.......but there's a lot so i want to review a few Springsteen as like little detours.

given my recent clicking with him. i already know the 3 i wanna do.

Mick

I could try reviewing a lesser respected album. I already did Magic (good grief that was hard.. ).

I posted a review of High Hopes on Amazon. Pretty scathing it was..

I could try going deep into my record collection and trying some albums I have a more level-headed appreciation of.

• Like 1

My review from Amazon:

Bruce Springsteen- High Hopes (2014)

Rating: 2/5

High Hopes? Expect to be disappointed... 14 Jan. 2014

It pains me when fans of the Boss dismiss Human Touch as a rubbish album, and then hail an album such as this as if it were some sort of great comeback when clearly it is not. High Hopes, together with Working On A Dream and Devils And Dust are the three Bruce Springsteen albums I find to be less than average. Really, really weak, at least in comparison to the best of his 21st Century work, and most certainly to that of his first five releases.

I was hoping to be blown away, and to give this album credit, it is better than the other two albums mentioned. The addition of Tom Morello was an incredibly good move: he adds a certain element of charm that makes this a more energetic album than these songs together deserve. It is wonderful to see studio recordings of American Skin (41 Shots) and the full band version of The Ghost Of Tom Joad finally released, and the latter I find to be absolutely fantastic, a wonderful alternative to the highly underrated original (1995's folk-tinged The Ghost Of Tom Joad remains one of Bruce's most challenging and rewarding albums).

But thats all I can recommend it. Two new studio recordings of (admittedly great) old songs. But they are, truth be told, worth purchasing this album for alone. The rest of this release isn't exactly rubbish, and alongside the two aforementioned gems are the two cover versions that open and close the album, High Hopes (originally by the Havalinas) and Dream Baby Dream (originally by protopunks Suicide). The first is sure to become a new live favourite, while the latter is an ethereal ending to this album, an interesting choice, and proof this man has good taste. I also really enjoyed The Wall and the upbeat (if a little throwaway) Frankie Fell In Love. But as an album, High Hopes lacks cohesion and despite knowing already that this is mostly a collection of offcuts from previous releases, it wouldn't be impossible to guess anyway.

And one other thing: Bruce has always been a talented songwriter (I consider him the best ever), and his lyrics are often just as enjoyable as poetry as they are as songs. So why the recent trend to start cursing on albums? Devils And Dust, Working On A Dream and now High Hopes contain use of the f-bomb, and it just isn't necessary, and the song Harry's Place, already a so-so track, really doesn't benefit from its presence. It's unnecessary, and I am sadly convinced many will click "Not Helpful" as a result of this opinion. Well each to their own, but Springsteen built a fine reputation through articulate and intelligent songwriting, and any doubts will be answered with a simple glance at the lyrics of any song off such albums as Darkness On The Edge Of Town, Nebraska, The Ghost Of Tom Joad or Tunnel Of Love. Harry's Place just does not represent the best of his work, and the cursing indicates laziness and not artistic integrity. However, I do wish to clarify that Working On A Dream, Devils And Dust and now High Hopes are not at the bottom of the pack for me based on this reason alone, I simply view them as very weak Springsteen albums.

So yes, to return to how I started, I think it a great shame that many dismiss Human Touch (and its slightly superior companion album, Lucky Town), only to then immediately label High Hopes five stars, as if it somehow matches up to the glorious heights of established classics such as Born To Run or Darkness On The Edge Of Town. High Hopes is not at all a great album. Unlike the other releases made of offcuts and rarities, The Promise and Tracks, this album does not show off an embarrasment of riches, as if an overwhelming flow of talent had recently been bled from the pen and guitar of this Rock Legend. Rather, High Hopes is a bland and safe album of the sort we know Bruce can better, and as a follow up to the surprisingly wonderful Wrecking Ball, High Hopes fails to live up to its title.

I would recommend this new album for the new versions of The Ghost Of Tom Joad and American Skin (41 Shots), and Tom Morello does bring some much needed life to proceedings, but the simple fact is that The Rising, Magic and Wrecking Ball were much better post-2000 Springsteen efforts. Hopefully The Boss still has one more great album left in him, as this is not good enough. Disappointing.

Best Tracks: American Skin (41 Shots), The Ghost Of Tom Joad, The Wall, and Dream Baby Dream

• Like 1

My reviews always turn into repeating adjectives. "oh this is a fun part". This song has lots of "fun sections"

Well My reviews are more detailed but i cannot do what Segue does. i can't do that at all, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Two years on from that review, and I now only really like Tom Joad...

My reviews always turn into repeating adjectives. "oh this is a fun part". This song has lots of "fun sections"

Well My reviews are more detailed but i cannot do what Segue does. i can't do that at all, lol

Mick

I studied journalism but I have fallen into bad habits...

• Like 1

it would be interesting for me to dive back into his acoustic records.

i avoid them like the plague, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

it would be interesting for me to dive back into his acoustic records.

i avoid them like the plague, lol

Mick

Easy for me, I love two of them!

Although I always feel like I have to watch my back when playing Nebraska...it gives me the paranoids.

This is literally my gut reaction to the first couple of days I spent with Toto:

Toto- The Collection (box set of the first seven album and a DVD)

Rating: 5/5

Pop/Rock Legends: Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, ABBA...Toto? 26 May 2012

Format: Audio CD

I got introduced to Toto via an interview with Brett Detar of the now defunct The Juliana Theory. In a DVD interview, he mentioned how one of his band mates would not stop playing certain songs by some band called Toto. Who?

Well, whoever they were, he played three short excerpts of the songs "Rosanna", "Hold The Line" and "Africa". Oh my days! About fifteen seconds of each song, and the brief melodies got stuck in my head!

When, exactly, did I discover Toto? Um...about a week ago.

I am 21 and only just starting to explore classic rock. So far, my favourite is Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Amazing songwriter. Also, Fleetwood Mac (from 1975 onwards), Chris Rea, The Beatles and The Doors. Loads of research, loads of band searches. Loads of reviews and websites. I can honestly say, aside from one song on a rock compilation I never really play, I have never, ever heard of Toto until I watched my Juliana DVD (the Juliana Theory were one of the finest modern rock bands. Like Toto, they never truly got the respect they deserved).

This is a real shame, for they are genuinely amazing!

Straight after looking for Toto products on Amazon, I came across this box set. Amazing value! Seven albums plus one live DVD for £12.00 is a no brainer. I took the plunge, and about four or five days after hearing this for the first time, I can honestly say I am in love!

This is amazingly played, tuneful and most of all memorable pop music. I say "pop" because it's a bit hard to categorise. R'n'B, prog, rock, even metal influences shine through the various performances, but the resounding feature of the songwriting is without a doubt the exuberant melodies: this is distinctly pop music, but without the narrow minded approach most artists make to stick to one specific genre. This is fun stuff!

Quick reviews:

Toto-

Ok, the debut: 5 stars

Highlights? Pretty much all the tracks, but the opening gut-punch of "Child's Anthem", "I'll Supply The Love", "Georgie Porgy", and "Manuela Run" is astounding in its variety and catchiness! The big hit single "Hold The Line" is a real classic, and "Angela", the closing number, is one song that has stood the test of time very well: after all these years, the shift in dynamics half way through still sounds so fresh, and I was not expecting it. Nothing about this album sounds cliched, although it feels very much like a '70's album. I am 21. I wish I were 30 years older! Cannot find a single thing to complain about. All good songs here!

Hydra-

Ok, not entirely into this one (as yet) 3 stars

I love the opening, self-titled track. "99" is good too, but its not really been played properly yet (its only been a few days!). So far, my least favourite (but that may change!)

Turn Back

Is this meant to be rubbish? 4 stars

Ok, apparently this album is supposedly a poorer Toto effort, judging by its lack of commercial success and no hit singles. Why? There are at least 3 brilliant rock classic on this: "Gift With A Golden Gun", "English Eyes" and my favourite, "I Think I Could Stand You Forever". This may just become my number one Toto album in time!

Toto IV

The BIG one: 4.5 stars

Not quite a rock classic like Born To Run or Rumours, but my goodness! The hooks! "Rosanna" is so addictive it should either be number one, or else banned! A seriously amazing melody! "Africa" is a classic. Again, I know I should have, but until this week I had never, EVER heard a single song on this album. I haven't lived... Anything else? "Make Believe" is great, the rest simply blurring into a mass of heavenly goodness. Seriously, its been ages since pop music has had such an immense effect on my senses!

Isolation

Played once- 3.5 stars

Have yet to really get stuck into this one. My verdict? I liked it very much while it played, but I liked IV and Fahrenheit a lot more! Look forward to replaying it soon, however...

Fahrenheit

Miles Davis? 5 stars

Miles Davis? Ok...that simply blew my mind. I saw his name in the credits, and I just knew I would have to really listen to this album. Also, lead vocalist Joseph Williams performed the singing voice of adult Simba in The Lion King, a favourite of mine. That's a nice bit of trivia, but I wouldn't have guessed, as to me he sounds like a more sophisticated Michael Jackson, with a lot of soul in his voice (I gather his vocal style may have reflected certain trends of the 1980's, but I love it!). "I'll Be Over You" is extraordinarily powerful. This is a pop song on the same high level as ABBA, Fleetwood Mac, and The Beatles. Simply spellbinding! The first 3 songs are terrific, especially "We Can Make It Tonight" and "Without Your Love". This is '80's pop at its finest. But the albums finest moment overall is the astoundingly beautiful instrumental "Don't Stop Me Now" featuring...Miles Davis. Ok, I love Kind Of Blue, a jazz classic. But I also love how he brings his distinct energy to this smooth number, whilst still keeping the flow of the rest of the album. I honestly cannot understand how its taken me 21 years to discover this pop gem. A masterpiece? Why not! Its a darn side better than Lady Gaga (although her "Marry The Night" would have sounded at home on this album). And a million miles better than Justin Bieber! Classic, I'm loving the energy of this one.

The Seventh One

Toto IV pt. 2? 3 stars

This one has yet to grab my attention, though at this point in the week I may simply be Toto-ed out. Is it going to grow on me? No doubt about it, "Stay Away" is so good. It strongly reminds me of Megadeth's and Lacuna Coil's Cristina Scabbia's powerful duet of "A Tout Le Monde" from 2007. I really dig this track. "Stop Loving You" is very good, as is "Rosanna Pt. 2", I mean "Pamela" and the very african (and "Africa"-lite) "Mushanga". Excellent drumwork on this last track. Not yet fully into this one, but I liked it a lot, and like Isolation, I'm looking forward to replaying it again...

Greatest Hits Live

Decent DVD. Rubbish camerawork. 3 stars

So, its been less than a week with this box set, but I am so impressed with this! I've never heard anything by this band before, so it has been refreshing to listen to an old-school band without any preconceived ideas. How Toto are not as highly esteemed as other bands of the era such as Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen shall forever be a mystery to me, now that I've heard this. Also, how can a band of musicians so well renowned and talented as this go unnoticed by the 21st Century media? These are amazing songs, and the quality, and catchiness of a song like "I'll Be Over You" simply screams for karaoke meltdown on a Friday night, if only it were more well known!

So finally, Toto are uncool? Um...how does that explain the love for '80's cheese-bombs like Wham!, A-ha and T'Pau? Toto are nothing but awesome!

Either that, or I am just not cool. Oh well, who needs to fit in with the majority when you have a small box of immense treasure sitting on your shelf!

(I may update this is a few months, but I can't see me changing my views too much (aside from perhaps an improved respect for Isolation and The Seventh One).)

• Like 1

Bear in mind in 2012 I was mostly listening to heavy metal, hardcore, punk, emo and jazz.

Toto was before even my AOR craze began...and a good two years before I binged on Foreigner or any other group in that vein (I hated, HATED Bon Jovi as well).

Edited by Segue Myles

I'm currently listening to 2 music fans podcast on the Beatles........and they're very good and interesting.

then came Sgt. Pepper. I understand the influence but these guys were way to much, lol

weaker album guys.........shut up, lpl

Mick

• Like 1

I love how I talk of "80's cheese bombs" at the end...little did I know my tastes were going to go downhill after this hahahahah!
  • Like 1

I'm currently listening to 2 music fans podcast on the Beatles........and they're very good and interesting.

then came Sgt. Pepper. I understand the influence but these guys were way to much, lol

Mick

Don't tell ReRushed haha

(Love ya buddy)

• Like 1

Mick

Don't tell ReRushed haha

(Love ya buddy)

i just often times think people do not realize influential doesn't equal good

And i better not get anyone telling i don't get it cause i wasn't there.

my uncle was.......he can't stand jimi Hendrix, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

Don't tell ReRushed haha

(Love ya buddy)

i just often times think people do not realize influential doesn't equal good

And i better not get anyone telling i don't get it cause i wasn't there.

my uncle was.......he can't stand jimi Hendrix, lol

Mick

I know.

I also don't like being told i have to conform to society's ideas of a classic album. I had to really open my mind to give bands like Beatles and Springsteen a chance. The hit albums turned me right off.

• Like 1

Random review I posted elsewhere.

Thrice- The Artist In The Ambulance

For some, Thrice hit the jackpot with the release of this third album, and lost the plot afterwards when the experimental Vheissu turned out to be too diverse and chaotic.

My thoughts? A post-hardcore masterpiece. Melodic, slightly commercial (for the genre) but also true to their roots. Whereas The Illusion Of Safety was a sporadic mess (in a good way), here Thrice finally tighten their songwriting, and songs such as Under A Killing Moon and Stare At The Sun became instant classics.

A highly influential album, it's easy to see now that after this, they could have taken an even more commercial path and slayed the competition. Thank goodness they took risks, for after this things only got weirder and more exciting.

Ramble over.

10/10

Edited by Segue Myles