Geddy's baseball "sickness"!

rugen

Nice tv documentary about the mind of a collector, yesterday on sportsnet canada where Geddy has plenty of time to share what he calls his "sickness" or hobby for collecting autograph baseball. As he said, you try to get out of your collection, it takes you back. i can relate to what he says with music, and i am sure a lot of you can also. I would be curious to know who were those guys who sold non-authentic baseball balls to Geddy? :o
  • Like 1

Not to be OT, but I fear your title might be a tad misleading. Expect some heated comments.

I have learned the basic of voyeurism journalism!

• Like 1

Not to be OT, but I fear your title might be a tad misleading. Expect some heated comments.

Fixed the title.

Nice job. How 'bout my Badge, now? ;) :P

Where's mine I'd like to know? If 73 needs help figuring out when I reached 2112 posts, tell him it was in the Rushgoober 80 page epic thread.

Fixed the title.

Ah, okay, because I didn't see anything weird going on here. Again, I just missed the drama.

Yeah I think it was originally Geddy is sick or something. So that's a little freak worthy.

Things I share in common with Geddy: big snoz, I play bass, I write songs too.

Things I don't share in common with Geddy: he plays bass well, he writes good songs, and he likes baseball, which I think is sadistically dull to watch.

• Like 1

Things I don't share in common with Geddy: he plays bass well, he writes good songs, and he likes baseball, which I think is sadistically dull to watch.

Same here on all factors. :LOL: Baseball is like watching grass grow.

Same here on all factors. :LOL: Baseball is like watching grass grow.

I like watching my grass grow, because i look at the big picture, the sun, the sky, the open air, and then you watch 54 confrontations between 2 players, while talking statistics and history with your best friends with no time limit. And if you can afford it, you can drink beer, eat hot-dogs. And after the game, if you are "sick" enough you can collect fake autograph baseball, and keeping it forever, because you make as much money as Geddy Lee. :banghead:

• Like 2

I wish I could have seen that documentary. I've been collecting sports autographs for over half my life (mostly on trading cards and 8x10s...not into the three-dimensional stuff like balls, bats, helmets, etc). I probably have a greater overall quantity of autographs than Geddy, but the QUALITY of his collection so exponentially dwarfs mine that it's not even funny. I remember from the bonus features from BTLS where he shows off some of his autographs, and it's just staggering...Ruth, Gehrig, most of the 20th century presidents, mostly on single-signed balls. And his game-used Shoeless Joe bat!

Unfortunately, the world of autograph collecting is plagued by forgers trying to make a quick buck. The only thing people can do is research and due diligence on items they didn't get signed themselves in-person.

• Like 1

Kind of ironic that there are SO many un-authentic Rush autographs out there. You see them all the time on Ebay. It is a problem with autographs in general.

and "greedy" people... Imagine the guy bragging in front of his friends, that he had made hundred of dollars with the famous Geddy Lee with a fake autograph

Kind of ironic that there are SO many un-authentic Rush autographs out there. You see them all the time on Ebay. It is a problem with autographs in general.

How can you tell the forgery is fake?

Check troutman post p.1 or http://www.psacard.com/Services/AutographedBaseballProcess

How can you tell the forgery is fake?

Check troutman post p.1 or http://www.psacard.c...BaseballProcess

RUDT, thank you, but I was talking about Rush autographs. How could someone know that the signatures aren't really the signatures of Alex, Geddy and Neil?

I think that in the documentary of Geddy, for a baseball autograph, Geddy was talking about the ink types, i will have to watch it again, but there's other factors if you check the link sent by troutman
  • Like 1

I think it's interesting that people collect autographs. If you meet a rock star, and she signs a photograph, and then you move aside for the next person in line, what you have is a physical artifact that represents a very fleeting "brush with fame." The actual encounter might not have been that meaningful, but having that signature is so important. I've never really known why. If you purchase an autographed somethingorother on EBay, you never even had the encounter that produced the artifact in the first place! You're paying a ton of money for a souvenir of someone else's experience. If it's an investment, I guess I understand it. It just seems strange to me.

I guess I sound like a Star Trek alien: "your earth customs are strange to me."

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2