Not many U2 fans here I think ?

toscanobarga

Madison Square Garden and Brendan Byrne Arena, the latter being somewhere in New Jersey on a former swamp land.

If you're still calling it the Brendan Byrne Arena you are old!

Maybe,

But us old folks are the ones that saw the great bands before a lot of folks here were even born. :codger: :LOL: :7up:

You know, I think I agree with this. It could be my old age bias, but I do think the golden age of great bands has passed. Respect your elders, children!

Not because I am old, but you are right. It has passed.

By the way, what do they call Byrne Arena these days? The last time I was there was at the very last concert I ever attended - 1988 to see The Moody Blues.

• Like 1

Madison Square Garden and Brendan Byrne Arena, the latter being somewhere in New Jersey on a former swamp land.

Maybe,

But us old folks are the ones that saw the great bands before a lot of folks here were even born. :codger: :LOL: :7up:

You know, I think I agree with this. It could be my old age bias, but I do think the golden age of great bands has passed. Respect your elders, children!

It has passed based on some of the music put out today. Thank goodness I was born when I was. :D

• Like 2

Maybe,

And I am proud to say that the very first concert I ever attended was at the most famous of the famous places back in the day - the one and only Fillmore East!

• Like 1

Maybe,

Not because I am old, but you are right. It has passed.

By the way, what do they call Byrne Arena these days? The last time I was there was at the very last concert I ever attended - 1988 to see The Moody Blues.

After the Brendan Byrne Arena they named it Continental Airlines Arena, now it's called the Izod Center.

Maybe,

And I am proud to say that the very first concert I ever attended was at the most famous of the famous places back in the day - the one and only Fillmore East!

Damn,

I am jealous!! :codger: :madra: :D :haz:

• Like 1

Every Rush fan's favorite magazine, Rolling Stone, gave Songs of Innocence a 5-star review.

Link: http://www.rollingst...ocence-20140911

iTunes is giving it away and I'll take it.

I was a huge fan up until Achtung Baby. Still consider myself a moderate fan.

Every Rush fan's favorite magazine, Rolling Stone, gave Songs of Innocence a 5-star review.

I certainly don't hate U2 or Songs of Innocence. I just can't take the hype. Everything U2 has done since the early 1990's seems overwrought and overhyped. Plus the fact that they have been musically treading water since the same time.

I saw them at MSG for the Achtung Baby tour. Great experience. By the time I saw them on the Popmart Tour at Giants Stadium (half empty, by the way) I was done.

They were a once great band that is now a mediocre band that many still want to be great. Although, concert wise, I'm sure they still put on a great show.

• Like 1

I certainly don't hate U2 or Songs of Innocence. I just can't take the hype. Everything U2 has done since the early 1990's seems overwrought and overhyped. Plus the fact that they have been musically treading water since the same time.

I saw them at MSG for the Achtung Baby tour. Great experience. By the time I saw them on the Popmart Tour at Giants Stadium (half empty, by the way) I was done.

They were a once great band that is now a mediocre band that many still want to be great. Although, concert wise, I'm sure they still put on a great show.

I definitely agree they need to stop with the stadium shows. I did see Achtung Baby at Angels Stadium but I was 3rd row from the stage so it didn't suck.

• Like 1

U2 now has 18 albums in the iTunes top 100, the new album doesn't count as it's a giveaway.

Whoever came up with this idea is nothing short of brilliant. The band gets a ton of money from Apple, and they give away the album to spark interest in U2's back catalog. Win-win.

Thank the Lord that U2 is sincere and in it for the right reasons!

I gave the new album a few more listens. I'm less impressed.

What's that saying about suckers?

I'm listening to a preview of the new album on iTunes. Sadly, it doesn't even grab me enough to download the thing for free. What I'm listening to holds no resemblance to the U2 I used to know in the early 80s. Even Edge's distinctive jangly guitar is gone.

It sucks to see bands you used to love release stuff you don't like :(

• Like 3

Back on topic, Achtung Baby is a great album, and the tour was amazing.

One of the best albums ever. Took me years before I gave it a chance because I had been so turned off by Rattle and Hum, but when I did finally listen to it without my "I'm so tired of Bono" filter, I was amazed.

"Thank the Lord that U2 is sincere and in it for the right reasons!"

I don't know that anyone isn't in it for the money to a certain degree.

I mean maybe they could wait for an anniversary, and re-package a bunch of previously released DVDs and throw in a bonus disc to make us re-buy it. I'm sure the motives for that were purely altruistic in nature, I mean why bother just releasing one unseen DVD separately.......

"Thank the Lord that U2 is sincere and in it for the right reasons!"

I don't know that anyone isn't in it for the money to a certain degree.

I mean maybe they could wait for an anniversary, and re-package a bunch of previously released DVDs and throw in a bonus disc to make us re-buy it. I'm sure the motives for that were purely altruistic in nature, I mean why bother just releasing one unseen DVD separately.......

Apparently, they are physically releasing the CD in October along with the Deluxe Edition. Surprise, surprise.

They do sometimes come across as sanctimonious hypocrites.

I'm fairly sure they voiced themselves in a Simpsons episode, in which one of the band had a collection of spoons (or forks). I can't remember if it was Larry Mullen Jnr or Adam Clayton. Either way, one asked to look or play with the collection, was told no, and he said: "B*stard."

I'm listening to a preview of the new album on iTunes. Sadly, it doesn't even grab me enough to download the thing for free. What I'm listening to holds no resemblance to the U2 I used to know in the early 80s. Even Edge's distinctive jangly guitar is gone.

It is always best to quit while you are ahead. Unfortunately, their lifestyle is addictive and they don't know how to make money any other way to keep it going.

I'm pretty sure it's going to sound like every other U2 album from the past 20 years or so.

That's what I'm afraid of. I haven't cared for most of their stuff since Joshua Tree. Their stuff from the early and mid 80s was damn good.
  • Like 2

One of the big reasons I love Rush so much. They have stayed true to their craft while not allowing their sound to get stale. Just an amazing feat! Too bad U2 couldn't do that. We've gotten 20 years of them going through the motions and polishing the same turd over and over again. :(
  • Like 1

From what all of you are saying, it is best if I just remember U2 as they once were.

I don't know about that. I know people who think that their song writing is much more mature and "sophisticated" now, and definitely prefer it to the jangle alt of their early albums. I loved those early albums when they were new but they really sound dated to me now; almost never listen to them. Achtung Baby, and bits from the albums that followed still sound pretty cool to me. Here's a couple from a dog of an album, but you're missing out (IMO) if they aren't part of your U2 experience (esp "The Wanderer"). Pop and All That You Can't Leave Behind also have some cool songs, esp "Staring at the Sun" and "Beautiful Day." After that is when I lost complete interest as it really did start to sound like the same album over and over. Good for one, or maybe two, albums, but not five.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJYyPLKJcFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjT3eYVcvvs