Robin Williams has died of apparent suicide.

ReRushed

RIP :( he was hilarious.

I enjoyed his work. Not all of it, but a lot of it.

Popeye was pretty bad, although that wasn't his fault. It was just a really bad movie.

I was pretty young when that came out and I liked it at the time. For what it was, it was entertaining. I don't know why it gets so much hate. Unless you hate the cartoon.

I loved “Popeye” at the time, and I think it still holds up for what it was: a live-action cartoon. It was directed by Robert Altman, who’s considered one of the best American directors. The attention to detail was great: they essentially built a WHOLE TOWN for the setting, and the casting and costuming was perfect.

My Top Ten Robin Williams Movies, in (roughly) release date order:

Popeye

The World According to Garp

Moscow on the Hudson

Good Morning, Vietnam

Dead Poet’s Society

The Fisher King

Awakenings

Good Will Hunting

Mrs. Doubtfire

One Hour Photo

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 1

The hostility shown to people suffering from clinical depression appals me. Does it ever occur to people that if it was simply a matter of "pulling yourself together" then depression would be rare?

Having suffered from depression for many years, suffered the sneering and the accusations of mental and or physical frailty, the incomprehension that "someone like me" could be so weighed down, the quizzical "what have you got to be depressed about?" I know how and why someone might take their own life. It never seems to occur to some people that if you can wonder why someone rich, successful and famous can take their own life you have the problem of depression in a nutshell. There is no real reason that anyone can give for why they suffer from depression or why exactly they are depressed at any given time and that is the problem.

It is a bio-chemical problem. Simple.

• Like 8

The hostility shown to people suffering from clinical depression appals me. Does it ever occur to people that if it was simply a matter of "pulling yourself together" then depression would be rare?

Having suffered from depression for many years, suffered the sneering and the accusations of mental and or physical frailty, the incomprehension that "someone like me" could be so weighed down, the quizzical "what have you got to be depressed about?" I know how and why someone might take their own life. It never seems to occur to some people that if you can wonder why someone rich, successful and famous can take their own life you have the problem of depression in a nutshell. There is no real reason that anyone can give for why they suffer from depression or why exactly they are depressed at any given time and that is the problem.

:goodone:

I take it you have seen the piss-fest thread?

:goodone:

I take it you have seen the piss-fest thread?

In SOCN? Yes.

It's possible if Robin hadn't been a depressive he wouldn't be quite the manic and energised personality that we saw. If he'd been perfectly happy he probably wouldn't feel the need or be able to explode into those dizzy comic monologues we all enjoyed.
  • Like 2

Just a flat-out AWESOME post. If recovering from depression was just a matter of "pulling yourself together" then it would be rare. Perfectly stated. And obviously depression is NOT rare, so such a "simple" recovery method doesn't exist; recovery is actually much longer and more difficult, meanwhile the victim suffers severely and daily. Many times people would ask me “WHY are you depressed” and I would answer, “If I knew, I wouldn’t be.” If I had a reason I could point to, some rational CAUSE which I could counter, I wouldn’t have BEEN depressed!

I disagree, however, with the notion that all depressions are bio-chemical problems, and always solved by finding the "right" medication. In my experience, way too many depressives had terribly dysfunctional families while growing-up to just dismiss that environmental cause and instead say "it's bio-chemical." I've also seen (and experienced!) people who've become depressed because of the irrational/neurotic/perfectionist beliefs they have.

Thankfully, society has gotten better about understanding depression and continues to get better. Back when I became depressed 25 years ago, many people either translated "I have depression" as "he's sad" or alternately as "he's crazy." And there was still a stigma attached to going to a psychotherapist, too. To some, seeing a therapist/psychiatrist meant you were crazy and might cause harm to people. I was careful who I told about it.

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 1

(sorry; double post) Edited by GeddyRulz

Which brings up the question as to why people think that having money or fame will automatically fix all of their problems. Obviously it doesn't. Having "things" might be nice but it apparently doesn't fix the underlying issues.

• Like 1

:yes:

This reminds me of when Tom Cruise went on Matt Lauer and went full crazy regarding medication and later throwing Brooke Shields under the bus for using medication after giving birth regarding post partum depression.

If anyone's on really dangerous drugs, it's Cruise, and that drug is Scientology. Shame on him.

• Like 1

RIP :( he was hilarious.

I enjoyed his work. Not all of it, but a lot of it.

Popeye was pretty bad, although that wasn't his fault. It was just a really bad movie.

I was pretty young when that came out and I liked it at the time. For what it was, it was entertaining. I don't know why it gets so much hate. Unless you hate the cartoon.

I loved “Popeye” at the time, and I think it still holds up for what it was: a live-action cartoon. It was directed by Robert Altman, who’s considered one of the best American directors. The attention to detail was great: they essentially built a WHOLE TOWN for the setting, and the casting and costuming was perfect.

My Top Ten Robin Williams Movies, in (roughly) release date order:

Popeye

The World According to Garp

Moscow on the Hudson

Good Morning, Vietnam

Dead Poet’s Society

The Fisher King

Awakenings

Good Will Hunting

Mrs. Doubtfire

One Hour Photo

One movie that never gets any love is The Best Of Times. That is an underrated football comedy. He and Kurt Russell are great. It's airing on one of the Showtime channels for those who subscribe.

Speaking of which, Showtime replaced a movie in their schedule yesterday, Hustle and Flow, with Dead Poets Society instead. Classy move, Showtime. :)

Just rented Angriest Man In Brooklyn on Redbox. Got 30 minutes left to watch.

Also, apparently his wife just admitted he found out he had the same thing Michael J. Fox (speaking of childhood heroes) has, Parkinson's.

If I end up with Parkinson's (or worse), then I'll definitely want to go out on my terms. I totally respect a person's decision to end it now rather than suffer a long, torturous death.

• Like 1

Like it or not the death of Williams has really made a splash in the collective pool of human awareness. It seems like his death has been popping up everywhere no matter who you meet or talk to or what websites you visit.
  • Like 1

Like it or not the death of Williams has really made a splash in the collective pool of human awareness. It seems like his death has been popping up everywhere no matter who you meet or talk to or what websites you visit.

:yes: and it places more light on the disease that is depression. I've spoken to many people this week who's lives have been touched by depression, addiction, and suicide.

Robin touched a lot of lives (my own included) :) But, so has depression :(

Edited by CygnusGal

:yes: and it places more light on the disease that is depression. I've spoken to many people this week who's lives have been touched by depression, addiction, and suicide.

I'm hearing now that his wife said Robin was showing signs of the early stages of Parkinsons syndrome.

I'm hearing now that his wife said Robin was showing signs of the early stages of Parkinsons syndrome.

Yes, I heard that too. That's very sad.