Tony Stewart runs over another racer who is on foot, kills him.

KenJennings

I also want to show you a picture of a winged Sprint Car. This isn't the exact one, but it's another of Stewart's Sprint cars:

http://www.dirttrackdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/IMG_319812.jpg

Notice how the wing on the roof extends down significantly obscuring the vision to the front right of the car? In fact, the wing is staggered higher on the left side, to allow for better vision as the cars turn left.

What you can see out of a winged sprint car, going around a left hand corner, is limited fairly significantly to what is left of you.

I know I'm officially flooding the thread at this point, but this story has me more emotional than any sports story I've followed since Earnhardt died.

And in that vein- I hope that Stewart spends some time with Sterling Marlin. I think that Sterling has a good idea what Stewart is going through. When Dale Earnhardt died in the 2001 Daytona 500, many people blamed Sterling Marlin for Earnhardt's death... These accusations were unfounded and reckless... and they led to death threats, and countless nasty messages sent his way... but for Sterling Marlin, the idea that he was responsible for killing one of his best friends still haunts him to this day. The truth is, Sterling Marlin had absolutely no culpability in Earnhardt's death- Earnhardt threw a block on Marlin, and wrecked himself that day. I say this as the world's biggest, most loyal Dale Earnhardt fan. He was, far and beyond anyone else, my childhood hero. But he made a bad move that day. The accusations still ring to Sterling Marlin. As unfair and brutal as they are. Sterling Marlin has to live with the idea that he killed Dale Earnhardt. Tony Stewart is going to have to endure something very much similar, and in some ways worse.

Even though Stewart wasn't at fault for this incident, this is going to be with him for the rest of his life. Kevin Ward made a bad move. It's an understandable and forgivable move, and if he hadn't been hit, nobody would've cared. If Dale Earnhardt would've survived his wreck, nobody would've cared. Honestly, I could easily see Tony Stewart doing exactly what Kevin Ward did, had roles been reversed. He didn't deserve to die, but he died making a bad decision, and it's one anyone could've made in the heat of the moment. Just like Earnhardt, he died making a bad decision in the heat of the moment. It's a horrible, horrible tragedy.

But just like Sterling Marlin, it's not Tony Stewart's fault. It's just really, really shitty situation.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 7

I know I'm officially flooding the thread at this point, but this story has me more emotional than any sports story I've followed since Earnhardt died.

And in that vein- I hope that Stewart spends some time with Sterling Marlin. I think that Sterling has a good idea what Stewart is going through. When Dale Earnhardt died in the 2001 Daytona 500, many people blamed Sterling Marlin for Earnhardt's death... These accusations were unfounded and reckless... and they led to death threats, and countless nasty messages sent his way... but for Sterling Marlin, the idea that he was responsible for killing one of his best friends still haunts him to this day. The truth is, Sterling Marlin had absolutely no culpability in Earnhardt's death- Earnhardt threw a block on Marlin, and wrecked himself that day. I say this as the world's biggest, most loyal Dale Earnhardt fan. He was, far and beyond anyone else, my childhood hero. But he made a bad move that day. The accusations still ring to Sterling Marlin. As unfair and brutal as they are. Sterling Marlin has to live with the idea that he killed Dale Earnhardt. Tony Stewart is going to have to endure something very much similar, and in some ways worse.

Even though Stewart wasn't at fault for this incident, this is going to be with him for the rest of his life. Kevin Ward made a bad move. It's an understandable and forgivable move, and if he hadn't been hit, nobody would've cared. If Dale Earnhardt would've survived his wreck, nobody would've cared. Honestly, I could easily see Tony Stewart doing exactly what Kevin Ward did, had roles been reversed. He didn't deserve to die, but he died making a bad decision, and it's one anyone could've made in the heat of the moment. Just like Earnhardt, he died making a bad decision in the heat of the moment. It's a horrible, horrible tragedy.

But just like Sterling Marlin, it's not Tony Stewart's fault. It's just really, really shitty situation.

:goodone:

• Like 1

Thanks Ken. Insightful.

• Like 2

I am not a racing fan at all. Nothing against it, just never got into it. I am completely unbiased and have no agenda or allegiance to any driver.

That being said, I cannot believe that this was done on purpose. It was very stupid on the part of the driver who got out of his car (although I'm sure it happens). He put himself in a dangerous situation. I have heard that when driving these cars in the mud you steer more with the accelerator than with the steering wheel and a driver's instinct to steer is mostly made by "gunning it". I have driven in the mud (used to own a jeep :) ) and that makes sense to me.

My assumption is that the people who say he accelerated and therefore did it on purpose were not aware of this.

Such a sad, tragic accident. :(

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if Stewart gets charged. While a prosecutor cannot only take cases he or she "knows" they'll win (because there are no such cases) a prosecutor does have to recognize that in some cases the evidence required to obtain a conviction will never be there, and apply some discretion. While I think it could come to pass that the evidence supported the conclusion that Stewart acted with reckless indifference to the danger he put Ward in (some of the points made about acceleration and such could conceivably point in that direction) I just think that in the end there's no way you could hook Stewart.

Civilly I think that there's an argument that Ward himself was more negligent than Stewart allegedly was. I don't know what the law in NY is, but in some states if Ward were at least 50.1% responsible for the accident (and I think he was) he couldn't recover.

• Like 3

So Stewart, not having made any contact whatsoever, would have no reason to send a message, no reason to be angry at all...

Why would Tony Stewart be looking to do anything in anger to a driver who never touched him?

Seriously? A little-known 20 year old wildly gesticulating and pointing at the big-time NASCAR driver with the least personal restraint in memory and you ask that question? Holy lack of perspective, Batman.

A major league hitter gets one in the ribs if he watches his home run for 2 seconds before he runs.

That being said, I cannot believe that this was done on purpose.

My assumption is that the people who say he accelerated and therefore did it on purpose were not aware of this.

No one has said this, nor would any sane person.

The only contention is whether Stewart contributed equally to the kid's death. My contention, unless you believe Stewart is a kind of Mr. Magoo who can win races at the highest level while being oblivious to the surrounding world, is that at the very same time this kid approached Stewart's car, Tony decided to send the kid a "message" with a rooster tail of dirt or just "buzzing" him. Strategies that are irresponsibly dangerous with someone on foot. Something this absurd takes at least two errors of judgement to occur.

I'd be surprised if Stewart gets charged. While a prosecutor cannot only take cases he or she "knows" they'll win (because there are no such cases) a prosecutor does have to recognize that in some cases the evidence required to obtain a conviction will never be there, and apply some discretion. While I think it could come to pass that the evidence supported the conclusion that Stewart acted with reckless indifference to the danger he put Ward in (some of the points made about acceleration and such could conceivably point in that direction) I just think that in the end there's no way you could hook Stewart.

Civilly I think that there's an argument that Ward himself was more negligent than Stewart allegedly was. I don't know what the law in NY is, but in some states if Ward were at least 50.1% responsible for the accident (and I think he was) he couldn't recover.

It's NY,

Nothing would surprise me. Especially these days.

• Like 1

Do you even realize how preposterous your story is here?

Have you ever competed in anything? Are you naive enough to think acts of intimidation don't happen all the time?

So let's get your contention straight here.

Tony Stewart, who made no contact with Ward, comes around the track, and actually sees a pedestrian approaching him from the dark, to the obscured right side of the car. In that split second, he becomes angry enough (again without any real reason) that he decides he somehow should 'intimidate' this pedestrian, even though he won't be competing with the guy again tonight... or in the indefinite future.

So for no reason, worth nothing to gain, and no motive to be angry; in that split second that this driver emerged from the dark, on the obscured side of the car, Tony Stewart formulated a plan to throw up a rooster tail at him- again, for no reason.

If you're projecting your own views on competition here, maybe you should avoid competing; but by using a modicum of sense and judgment here, I can again safely say that your assertion is patently preposterous. You're demonstrating a real unwillingness to admit your obvious lack in reasoning here.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

Have you ever competed in anything? Are you naive enough to think acts of intimidation don't happen all the time?

Tony Stewart, who made no contact with Ward, comes around the track, and actually sees a pedestrian approaching him from the dark, to the obscured right side of the car. In that split second, he becomes angry enough (again without any real reason) that he decides he somehow should 'intimidate' this pedestrian, even though he won't be competing with the guy again tonight... or in the indefinite future.

So for no reason, worth nothing to gain, and no motive to be angry; in that split second that this driver emerged from the dark, on the obscured side of the car, Tony Stewart formulated a plan to throw up a rooster tail at him- again, for no reason.

If you're projecting your own views on competition here, maybe you should avoid competing; but by using a modicum of sense and judgment here, I can again safely say that your assertion is patently preposterous. You're demonstrating a real unwillingness to admit your obvious lack in reasoning here.

That was a long-winded, strawman-filled "no".

But the idea that a person walking and waving his arms is somehow beyond the means of a world-class racer's vision and reflexes is amusing. So points for that.

Your desperation to see Stewart implicated in the fault for this accident is pretty stunning.

• Like 2

:goodone:

But the idea that a person walking and waving his arms is somehow beyond the means of a world-class racer's vision and reflexes is amusing. So points for that.

Your desperation to see Stewart implicated in the fault for this accident is pretty stunning.

As stunning as casting an elite, famously ill tempered, famously intimidating race driver as a passive Mr. Magoo character with so little track awareness that he couldn't see a 150 lb. moving object while driving through a fresh accident scene that he helped create one lap earlier because the belief that his recklessness might have contributed to killing someone is too difficult to accept?

It is difficult to accept. It's not hard to believe. In fact it's hard to believe otherwise.

As stunning as casting an elite, famously ill tempered, famously intimidating race driver as a passive Mr. Magoo character with so little track awareness that he couldn't see a 150 lb. moving object while driving through a fresh accident scene that he helped create one lap earlier because the belief that his recklessness might have contributed to killing someone is too difficult to accept?

It is difficult to accept. It's not hard to believe. In fact it's hard to believe otherwise.

Your description of the situation is so off base that it makes me think you're the only Mr. Magoo around.

• Like 1