Tony Stewart runs over another racer who is on foot, kills him.

KenJennings

Slack jaw, do you know what tear-offs are in dirt track racing?

You really need to get ALL the facts before weighing in.

But you don't.

Dude,

It will all come out. Again, he should have never got out of his car and walked on to the track. Would you let your kids walk out on to a freeway? No, you would not. If he had issues, he should of waited until the race was over.

I really wish people would think about this for what it is, rather than putting down things that they don't understand.

The head under the white helmet in my avatar is mine. I understand more than you think. No one here has a greater appreciation of the sport or the skill it takes to be on top of it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't base beliefs on hopes.

I said right off the bat to pay attention to what drivers don't say. If I was behind Stewart and he did nothing to contribute to the death, I'd be on every show in the country saying that. I hope a driver that was behind him comes out and says that. I'd believe him. If no driver goes to bat for him...that speaks incredibly loudly.

Can you create a new avatar pic with a view from your helmet in a dirt car track at night with lower lighting on a turn with a black clad racer about 20-30 degrees to your right?

Sounds like a good time for some power oversteer according to your earlier post.

I really wish people would think about this for what it is, rather than putting down things that they don't understand.

The head under the white helmet in my avatar is mine. I understand more than you think. No one here has a greater appreciation of the sport or the skill it takes to be on top of it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't base beliefs on hopes.

I said right off the bat to pay attention to what drivers don't say. If I was behind Stewart and he did nothing to contribute to the death, I'd be on every show in the country saying that. I hope a driver that was behind him comes out and says that. I'd believe him. If no driver goes to bat for him...that speaks incredibly loudly.

Can you create a new avatar pic with a view from your helmet in a dirt car track at night with lower lighting on a turn with a black clad racer about 20-30 degrees to your right?

Sounds like a good time for some power oversteer according to your earlier post.

You're not the only person around with experience behind the wheel of a racecar. I've never raced competitively, but I have driven mini-stock on the dirt oval at Kopellah Speedway in western Wisconsin.

I just never had the confidence to race in an event against others. I had the opportunity, but I sat on the sidelines and let my brother race.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

You're not the only person around with experience behind the wheel of a racecar. I've never raced competitively, but I have driven mini-stock on the dirt oval at Kopellah Speedway in western Wisconsin.

I just never had the confidence to race in an event against others. I had the opportunity, but I sat on the sidelines and let me brother race.

Are you disagreeing with my point or not? Your response had nothing to do with it.

I just never had the confidence to race in an event against others. I had the opportunity, but I sat on the sidelines and let me brother race.

Are you disagreeing with my point or not? Your response had nothing to do with it.

Do I need to reiterate the same points over and over again?

Stepping on the gas helps to change the attitude of the car, especially when someone approaches out of the darkness on a visually impaired side of the racecar. Given a snap decision to be made, I understand and support the logic.

Do I need to reiterate the same points over and over again?

Stepping on the gas helps to change the attitude of the car, especially when someone approaches out of the darkness on a visually impaired side of the racecar. Given a snap decision to be made, I understand and support the logic.

Exactly, but we need to describe the exact attitude change that occurs.

The attitude transitions from going straight to going sideways, where the driver must either 1) chase the back end with the steering wheel (turning to the right) causing (in a highly staggered oval car) it to move quickly to the right or 2) spin out to the right

There are no other outcomes to this decision, and it's completely consistent with hitting someone with the rear of the car. And in the specific circumstances, incredibly irresponsible.

Sprint Car driver Mark Tychonowicz:

"i have driven these cars,the right side board on the top wing will block out an entire car let alone a person standing there,i now work on the 45 car in the video and the driver said he just saw him at the last second and just missed him,Tony had even less time to react to the situation.people in the stands or watching this video have no idea how fast these thing happen and how limited our view is inside the car.it was a very bad turn of events that happened but we all know the dangers involved in the sport we love."

A Sprint Car driver from that race, Cory Sparks:

"From what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him, People say that they heard the engine rev up and he gassed it. In a sprint car, the only way to steer is you steer with the rear wheels as much as you do the steering wheel. In my opinion, what he did was he gassed it to turn down away from him,"

• Like 2

Exactly, but we need to describe the exact attitude change that occurs.

The attitude transitions from going straight to going sideways, where the driver must either 1) chase the back end with the steering wheel (turning to the right) causing (in a highly staggered oval car) it to move quickly to the right or 2) spin out to the right

There are no other outcomes to this decision, and it's completely consistent with hitting someone with the rear of the car. And in the specific circumstances, incredibly irresponsible.

The back end of the car will slip out, which will allow the front end to change directions quickly. You can see Stewart maneuver his car quickly to the left, then back to the right, rotating the car and attempting to duck Ward, after stepping on the gas.

Drivers with more experience than anyone here seem to agree with me.

What should be noted is that Stewart did almost avoid Ward because of his efforts. He came up short. Who knows if there was any move he could've made in that snap decision that would've ducked him, but he did almost clear him.

But you don't.

Show me one thing I posted that's not a fact. Please.

I guess only time will tell,

But it's no excuse for the guy getting out of his car and walking out on to the track. Emotions got the best of him.

Not an expert on the facts around dirt track racing or being a lawyer it seems. No lawyer will advise his/her client to make public statements while there is an ongoing investigation and the likelihood of a civil case. Smh.

• Like 1

I guess only time will tell,

But it's no excuse for the guy getting out of his car and walking out on to the track. Emotions got the best of him.

Not an expert on the facts around dirt track racing or being a lawyer it seems. No lawyer will advise his/her client to make public statements while there is an ongoing investigation and the likelihood of a civil case. Smh.

No expert either,

But these days, nothing would surprise me as far as Lawyers go.

But you don't.

You're either claiming to have ALL (your emphasis) the facts or you're being a hypocrite by placing that burden on only on people who disagree with you.

I hope a driver that was behind him comes out and says that. I'd believe him. If no driver goes to bat for him...that speaks incredibly loudly.

So now that two drivers from that race have come to bat for him (after allowing emotions to settle, and reviewing the tape), as well as a former driver/mechanic from that race, and including testimony from the one driver directly in front who barely missed ward, saying that he was not visible, how do you respond?

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

But you don't.

You're either claiming to have ALL (your emphasis) the facts or you're being a hypocrite by placing that burden on only on people who disagree with you.

Have I posted anything that is not a fact?

But you don't.

I ask because you have claimed that you believe tony tried to send the kid a message. That is not a fact. You also seem to have a lot of opinions about this type of racing not based on fact. My facts are limited to the sport in general not this specific situation since we don't know what tony knew and when he knew it.

But you don't.

I ask because you have claimed that you believe tony tried to send the kid a message. That is not a fact. You also seem to have a lot of opinions about this type of racing not based on fact. My facts are limited to the sport in general not this specific situation since we don't know what tony knew and when he knew it.

So many that you can't name any other than what's in the first sentence. I'll post educated guesses regardless of whatever silly ad hoc posting rules you devise.

But you don't.

So many that you can't name any other than what's in the first sentence. I'll post educated guesses regardless of whatever silly ad hoc posting rules you devise.

Here are some of your opinions (paraphrased) that are not based on the facts of the situation:

Tony Stewart had motive to try and intimidate Ward.

Tony Stewart is Mr. Magoo if he couldn't see.

Accelerating is not an effective method of changing direction in that situation.

Other drivers have not come to his defense.

Edited by KenJennings

You didnt answer my question. I remain unconvinced of your opinion on what happened, the contrary viewpoints make far more sense.

• Like 1

I hope a driver that was behind him comes out and says that. I'd believe him. If no driver goes to bat for him...that speaks incredibly loudly.

So now that two drivers from that race have come to bat for him (after allowing emotions to settle, and reviewing the tape), as well as a former driver/mechanic from that race, and including testimony from the one driver directly in front who barely missed ward, saying that he was not visible, how do you respond?

Didn't you see his avatar? That's all the proof we need.

• Like 1

This is a go-pro picture taken from inside a similar winged sprint car:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/JYRZSVfNYAE/0.jpg

How well can you see to the right?

And he's not tailing anybody.

Having said everything in previous post I still think it's silly that a pro is out there racing and it should be stopped. You don't see pro football players showing up at high school football games and knocking less experienced/talented players around on weekends so I don't think nascar or f1 types should do what amounts to the same thing.

Horsepucks. Most big time circle track racers (NASCAR, USAC. ARCA, Indy Car, etc). evolved by starting with go-karts, to midget racers, to sprint cars, to the Big Leagues. Some of them still do an occasional sprint car race when the schedule fits.

And some of them Jumped genres. Jeez, Mario Andretti did USAC stock cars, Indy cars. Formula 1. FIA GT (Daytona, LeMans, etc.), and you can bet if he had time, he was tooling around some little "bullring" track near Nazareth.

• Like 2

Having said everything in previous post I still think it's silly that a pro is out there racing and it should be stopped. You don't see pro football players showing up at high school football games and knocking less experienced/talented players around on weekends so I don't think nascar or f1 types should do what amounts to the same thing.

Horsepucks. Most big time circle track racers (NASCAR, USAC. ARCA, Indy Car, etc). evolved by starting with go-karts, to midget racers, to sprint cars, to the Big Leagues. Some of them still do an occasional sprint car race when the schedule fits.

And some of them Jumped genres. Jeez, Mario Andretti did USAC stock cars, Indy cars. Formula 1. FIA GT (Daytona, LeMans, etc.), and you can bet if he had time, he was tooling around some little "bullring" track near Nazareth.

Agreed.

Racing is a way of life to these guys... Also, for smaller venues, having a star like Tony Stewart is a HUGE draw. It brings money to the smaller teams by bringing bigger crowds, and bigger purses.

It would not be good for racing to have the big guys abandon the local tracks of the country.

Racing doesn't have academic institutions to back it up... You don't have kids racing as part of a high school or college program. The ladder to the top needs to be held up by both ends.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

Agreed.

Racing is a way of life to these guys... Also, for smaller venues, having a star like Tony Stewart is a HUGE draw. It brings money to the smaller teams by bringing bigger crowds, and bigger purses.

It would not be good for racing to have the big guys abandon the local tracks of the country.

Racing doesn't have academic institutions to back it up... You don't have kids racing as part of a high school or college program. The ladder to the top needs to be held up by both ends.

I would think the racers like when a top pro comes. Right or wrong am I?

Agreed.

I would think the racers like when a top pro comes. Right or wrong am I?

I think you'll probably see a widely varying opinion.

For guys who are really happy in their little niche, probably not. Just taking potential wins away from a guy who's not going anywhere.

For guys aspiring to the top, what better chance to show that you can run with the pros?

For both of them though, they can't deny the interest it brings to their local programs.

• Like 1