Narp, how goes the delve into the later career?

The Analog Cub

I can honestly see why folks love VT for the songs. I just can't get past the sound and literally the headache I have now. I may listen to a song from it here or there (and enjoy them live) but I will never listen all the way through again. The distortion is just to apparent.....

Narps. are you listening to a CD or from someplace on the internet?

The same way I listened to the others, apples to apples. Off the internet and headphones. It may not be the best way but its all I have. The recent others sounded clear and clean and this one not so much..... :huh:

I can honestly see why folks love VT for the songs. I just can't get past the sound and literally the headache I have now. I may listen to a song from it here or there (and enjoy them live) but I will never listen all the way through again. The distortion is just to apparent.....

Totally understandable.

For me, I made a minidisc of the best songs of Vapor Trails alternating with the best songs from Beck's Sea Change. Completely different, but they REALLY work together balancing out each other's monotony. And they are both DEEPLY emotional records. I love them both.

• Like 1

Can I just say Vapor Trails Renix has hit me hard...in the heart. You know that moment when you keep trying and trying with a Rush album, and one day it just all comes together and sounds MORE than alright?

Well, VT has done just that...will check out the original soon. The songs are astonishing! Sweet Miracle...Nocturne...One Little Victory...Earthshine...Ghost Rider...

Another Rush album to get better with time! Only album that has gotten worse over time is T4E. SA has consistently always been merely ok.

Narpski...thanks for this! I thought I'd play it with you and it really just blew me away! At long last...

• Like 3

Totally understandable.

For me, I made a minidisc of the best songs of Vapor Trails alternating with the best songs from Beck's Sea Change. Completely different, but they REALLY work together balancing out each other's monotony. And they are both DEEPLY emotional records. I love them both.

At last...I really have been enjoying your comments bro!

Edited by Segue Myles

Can I just say Vapor Trails Renix has hit me hard...in the heart. You know that moment when you keep trying and trying with a Rush album, and one day it just all comes together and sounds MORE than alright?

Well, VT has done just that...will check out the original soon. The songs are astonishing! Sweet Miracle...Nocturne...One Little Victory...Earthshine...Ghost Rider...

Another Rush album to get better with time! Only album that has gotten worse over time is T4E. SA has consistently always been merely ok.

Narpski...thanks for this! I thought I'd play it with you and it really just blew me away! At long last...

Glad you enjoyed it.... :cheers:

Totally understandable.

Hey Spaghetti, which album was Marv Albert's Gall Stone on?..... :)

Totally understandable.

Test tube ghecko

Totally understandable.

Test tube ghecko

Thanks.....

Totally understandable.

Test tube ghecko

...says the guy who wanted me murdered for making fun of song and album titles ha ha!

• Like 1

Totally understandable.

Test tube ghecko

...says the guy who wanted me murdered for making fun of song and album titles ha ha!

First: I wanted to swap roles...like Freaky Friday (only this time with attractive actors).

Second: I rarely do it.

Tomorrow - Snakes & Arrows! :) :unsure:

Meh

Ruh Roh......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Scooby-Doo.png

• Like 1

Totally understandable.

Yeah, but I also made a minidisc of Slayer's "God Hates Us All" alternating the songs with Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me"...you'd be surprised how those two albums compliment each other again by breaking up each other's monotony...

Minidisc was great. I titled that Slayer/Norah Jones disc "No, Rus! Lay 'er!!! Away With Us...God Hates All Me Come!!!"

Haha...good times.

Ruh Roh......

Can I just say...you...kind of resemble him...

Ruh Roh......

Can I just say...you...kind of resemble him...

Sure you can and just did.....

Totally understandable.

Yeah, but I also made a minidisc of Slayer's "God Hates Us All" alternating the songs with Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me"...you'd be surprised how those two albums compliment each other again by breaking up each other's monotony...

Minidisc was great. I titled that Slayer/Norah Jones disc "No, Rus! Lay 'er!!! Away With Us...God Hates All Me Come!!!"

Haha...good times.

FACT: Beyoncé's Who Run The World (Girls) and The Beatles Helter Skelter make interesting companions...i love both songs.

Sounds like a new thread idea - other bands' songs that complement Rush songs (like which beer or wine to serve with steak or chicken)
  • Like 1

Spaghetti! You actually like Vapor Trails?? I don't feel so alone now. Most everyone here hates it. Some more than others.

love it.
  • Like 2

Spaghetti! You actually like Vapor Trails?? I don't feel so alone now. Most everyone here hates it. Some more than others.

love it.

I feel a not-inconsiderable degree of something very much like fondness for it.

I love Vapor Trails so much that I'm the VT Ambassador :D

I thought you hated Vapor Trails?

Maybe we can start The Vapor Trail Lovers Club. Won't be many members though. It will be an exclusive club.

No no no, I've always liked the album! Let's start the club!

HYF, Presto, RTB, T4E, and S&A I wasn't thrilled with. I relistened to Presto, T4E, and RTB these last few days and have to say I actually like them a little more than I originally thought. Still need to relisten to S&A, and I don't know if I can find the courage to relisten to HYF :scared:

• Like 2

I love Vapor Trails so much that I'm the VT Ambassador :D

I thought you hated Vapor Trails?

Maybe we can start The Vapor Trail Lovers Club. Won't be many members though. It will be an exclusive club.

No no no, I've always liked the album! Let's start the club!

HYF, Presto, RTB, T4E, and S&A I wasn't thrilled with. I relistened to Presto, T4E, and RTB these last few days and have to say I actually like them a little more than I originally thought. Still need to relisten to S&A, and I don't know if I can find the courage to relisten to HYF :scared:

Pay it forward. You can do it. I am going too.... :rose: :)
  • Like 1

I remember when Vapor Trails came out, there was some praise for it, but it was NOTHING like the un-justified and ridiculous over-the-top praise heaped upon Snakes and Arrows.

In honor of your forthcoming Snakes and Arrows torture fest whoops I mean listening party, let's examine said album and the circumstances around its release.

Not a thread existed on this site what wasn't just GUSHING with heaps of copy/paste praise and talking points for that album (examples: "This builds upon all eras of Rush," "They've matured," "The boys are having fun," "Their best album since Moving Pictures" blah blah blah). There was such an unreal amount of fake good-heartedness of WANTING to like the new album; any negative thoughts were quickly attacked. I've never seen a love-fest quite like it since; at least the praise for Cockburp Facials was somewhat warranted for the most part, but it wasn't NEARLY blindingly hoisted to the degree that Snakes and Arrows was figuratively f*cked with never-ending over-the-top praise on this forum.

Most here have come to their senses...some still like it, but even those who were blind to it have come back to reality.

I will probably get in trouble here (as if that's new ha ha), but I'm going to copy/paste a review I wrote for Snakes and Arrows years ago on Amazon when it came out. Here goes:

"Production notwithstanding, this album is SUCH a step backward from Vapor Trails (not that that was a great album, but it was at least catchy and listenable besides the horrible digital clipping).

A few basic problems with this album:

1) Not catchy whatsoever...at least Vapor Trails was memorable and rocked besides the clipping noise. Rush's gift always held true the fact that they could write what was seemingly on the surface a 'catchy as hell' memorable simple song that only took one listen to remember...but under the surface was technical as hell (Red Barchetta for a great example of a totally 'accessible by anyone' song that's also amazingly complex and intricate yet it takes NOTHING away from the catchiness and doesn't overwhelm-or underwhelm-the casual listener). Rush have completely lost both the ability to be both catchy and complex on anything above an elementary level.

2) Boring musicianship...this is supposed to be RUSH; "holding back" for the last 17 years is NO LONGER a valid excuse. I HATE it when mindless Neilsheep state "It's so cool to hear Neil just sit back, groove, and not overplay" for the MILLIONTH TIME as if he's been playing at "Natural Science/Cygnus X-1/Subdivisions/Losing It/Jacob's Ladder/Marathon/Mission/The Fountain" caliber constantly for the last 30 years! HE'S BEEN "HOLDING BACK" FOR FREAKIN' DECADES! C'MON, BLOW US AWAY FOR AT LEAST 20 SECONDS IN ONE SONG! Dammit, this is supposed to be Rush. Throw us at least ONE thing that makes us go "WOW!!!!!" again! And all the blind supporters need to STOP reciting what others say about "It's so great they are going subtle"...they've been subtle since 1990! It's time to STOP with the lameness! Stop making excuses!

3) Neil's lyrics can't possibly get any worse. STOP USING THE GRADESCHOOL SIMILES AND METAPHORS!!!!! EXAMPLES:

"LIKE A CORAL REEF", "LIKE A GHOSTRIDER", "LIKE A MOUNTAIN", "LONELY THINGS LIKE NIGHTS", LIKE SURRENDER", "LIKE MALICE", "LIKE LOVERS AND HEROS", "LIKE EMPIRES", "LIKE THE TIDE", "LIKE PRIDE", "LIKE HURRICANES", "LIKE LOVERS" "LIKE BIRDS OF PREY", "LIKE DANCING GIRLS", "LIKE A MILLION LITTLE DOORWAYS", "LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD", "LIKE THE HEART OF THE EARTH", "LIKE A TIMEBOMB", "LIKE A STRANGER", "LIKE THE CHINESE CALL", "LIKE A RARE AND PRECIOUS METAL", "LIKE A RIGHTEOUS INSPIRATION", "LIKE A TEARDROP IN THE OCEAN", "LIKE A STEELY BLADE", "LIKE AN HOURGLASS", "LIKE A SHIPWRECKED MARINER", "LIKE A PAIR OF VAGABONDS", "LIKE A WOLF IN THE SUN", "LIKE WE'RE BACK IN THE DARK AGES", "LIKE CRUSADERS IN UNHOLY ALLIANCE", "LIKE THE SOLITARY PINE", "LIKE A STONE IN THE RIVER", "LIKE THE WILLOWS IN THE WIND", "LIKE A FOREST BOWS", "LIKE A FLOWER", etc...

You get the idea!!! They should change their name from Rush to "LIKE"!!! You can TELL that Neil didn't finish school. I think by about the 11th grade, English classes wouldn't ALLOW you to write such simple mindless idiotic similes or you'd instantly fail the assignment. Lyrics so inane come across as being written in 30 minutes...just in time to skip town to head back out on another Middle America hateride. Neil's lyrics appeared "intelligent" when I was 8. Funny thing is, however...they didn't get gut-wrenchingly bad until around 1990. I think Neil does it now on purpose just to fuel his own disdain for the fans ("Let's see what kind of crap I can write that these imbeciles will think I'm God for writing...they'll fall for anything"). C'mon Neil...the juvenile nature of your lyrics and uneducated writing style is beyond insulting at this point.

4) Geddy: please use an amp. Get a real bass sound again. And stop that "chunka chunka chunka" flamenco crap and play some melodic, memorable, catchy, and amazing bass lines again. Stop being so basic. And, did I mention a real amp? Hey Geddy, there's an album with a great bass sound on it. You might like it. It's called "Moving Pictures." It's also called "Signals." Hell, even though it's completely different, "Power Windows" at least has a unique bass AMP sound. Your current bass sound sounds like a ProTools plug-in.

5) And to the fanboi's and fangurl's: Learn to think on your own. Just because you read online that one person says, "I hear traces of all eras of Rush in this new album," DO NOT endlessly post this same mindless drool over an over as if you think it yourself. If Geddy said, "Yes I used the same bass tone as I had on Caress of Steel" (while clearly he did not) there would be 100's of fanboi's sprouting, "The bass on the new album sounds just like 'No One At The Bridge!!!!!!!'" just because they read that Geddy said something to that effect. Kinda like how people are saying, "The new album is a return to Rush's roots." Yeah? Where??? I don't hear anything whatsoever similar to anything except 90's era Rush. "This new album represents all of Rush's past." Really? Where's the Power Windows era represented? Funny, I don't hear any synth. Or did you fanboi's forget that the 80's were dominated by very imaginative synth work? LEARN TO THINK FOR YOURSELF. AND, STOP REPEATING WHAT YOU READ ON THE INTERNET AS IF YOU THOUGHT OF IT FOR YOURSELF, ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN OFFER NO SUPPORTING EVIDENCE AS TO WHY YOU ARE SPEWING YOUR UNFOUNDED WORDS. Just like all the fanboi's posting "This is the best album since Hold Your Fire!"..."The best since Moving Pictures!"..."The best since 2112!" all because they READ it from SOMEONE ELSE.

It's almost as if...how completely DEVOID can Rush become of RUSH until ANY of the fanboi's realize it? It seems that as they get rid of EVERY ounce of what MADE them "RUSH", the fanboi's EMBRACE it! Geddy's singing lower! Great! Geddy's more monotone! Great! Neil isn't doing much of anything! Great! These lyrics are so deep LIKE a gradeschooler wrote them! Great! The drums still have that 1987-era reverb on them! Great! Geddy plays nothing like his old self! Great! There's NO synthesizers at all! Great! There's NO long songs! Great! There's no catchiness! Great! There's nearly no guitar solos! Great! There's no instrumental virtuosity! Great! They're holding back! Great! They've been holding back since "Presto"! Great! They don't write fantasy epics! Great! They write pseudo philosophical "I'm better than you and here is what is wrong with the world" lyrics! Great! They lyrics don't really fit the music and sound forced! Great! Geddy continues to multi-track cheesy vocal sounds rather than use Taurus pedals! Great! Neil plays at his most elementary just to piss off fans who crave 1/100th of the old Neil! Great! They completely stopped writing strange time signature parts and challenging musical passages! Great! They've written boring, bland, simple, contrite, uninspiring, unimaginative, and basic music! Great! But, they're having FUN! Great!!!"

Edited by Spaghetti Lee
  • Like 1