Narp, how goes the delve into the later career?

The Analog Cub

Spaghetti! You actually like Vapor Trails?? I don't feel so alone now. Most everyone here hates it. Some more than others.

I love Vapor Trails so much that I'm the VT Ambassador :D

I thought you hated Vapor Trails?

Maybe we can start The Vapor Trail Lovers Club. Won't be many members though. It will be an exclusive club.

• Like 1

. Edited by Segue Myles

I must have the crappiest taste because I think that the original VT sounds better than the remix. The remix sounds sounds disjointed. All of the instruments are separated too much. If that makes sense.

They sound all mashed together and fuzzy to my old ears..... Sweet Miracle

I must have the crappiest taste because I think that the original VT sounds better than the remix. The remix sounds sounds disjointed. All of the instruments are separated too much. If that makes sense.

I have heard that complaint...might give the original a few spins sometime to see if I may actually prefer it.

I think you should. It is much better than the remix. But what do I know?

Peacable Kingdom sounds...wrong...is this better on the original?

I feel like I am doing an extra 20 minutes on the treadmill and praying I make it. This is long.....

I have heard that complaint...might give the original a few spins sometime to see if I may actually prefer it.

I think you should. It is much better than the remix. But what do I know?

Lorraine...we agree on almost everything...its creepy...

• Like 1

Spaghetti! You actually like Vapor Trails?? I don't feel so alone now. Most everyone here hates it. Some more than others.

I LOVE most of Vapor Trails. I had given up on "new" Rush...I loved everything up until Power Windows, and about half of Hold Your Fire (I preferred the live versions of HYF songs on A Show of Hands to the more demo-sounding studio versions). I've been pretty upfront on my thoughts of Presto and how I REALLY wanted to like it when it came out...a few good songs, then with crap like "Hand Over Fist" they started to lose me. Then the rap in RTB...a few OK songs on that album, a couple on Counterparts, almost none on Test For Echo. The problem was that the horrible songs COMPLETELY outweighed the OK ones, and the ones that sucked soooooo bad had either no melody, staccato "talking" monotone lyrics, massive empty-sounding reverb mixes, absolutely no balls, just no ANYTHING! I guess overall it was the lack of melody and the fact that most of their new songs were totally and unequivocally uncatchy in any way, shape, or form; that turned me completely off...their material just wasn't gelling together, it sounded forced, like they were trying to be something they either weren't or just weren't good at. I refused to force myself to listen to something like "The Big Wheel" over and over just to TRY to find SOMETHING good about it. I HATE approaching music like that. As Rush progressed throughout Test For Echo, it just kept getting worse...and by that time I had TOTALLY given up hope that Rush would record something that was simply catchy and flowing, nevermind instrumental virtuosity or ANYTHING like "old" Rush...ultimately, I JUST WANTED TO BE ABLE TO LISTEN TO NEW RUSH MUSIC WITHOUT BEING BORED OUT OF MY MIND. And, with Vapor Trails, they delivered.

Big time.

I agree, it's long, and it's a bit monotonous. It's difficult to listen to the whole thing in one sitting, and there's no virtuosity about it. But, Geddy's singing high again, and he sounds good doing it...and the lyrics actually fit! And, while the production sucks, it actually has balls! It's not a perfect record, but compared to the 4 poopercorn fests before it, it was such a HUGE return to form that it amazes me the hatred for it.

Edited by Spaghetti Lee
  • Like 2

I love Vapor Trails so much that I'm the VT Ambassador :D

I thought you hated Vapor Trails?

Maybe we can start The Vapor Trail Lovers Club. Won't be many members though. It will be an exclusive club.

Ooh! Can I join?
  • Like 1

And for the record I think the songs are good and worth recording but the sound kills any abundance of pleasure for me.... Edited by Narpski

The Stars Look Down is an absolute classic...love this song.
  • Like 1

Nocturne. Average at best in my opinion......

i actually looooove that song.

currently, VT is sounding like a masterpiece

• Like 1

I have listened to Presto once in my life all the way through and it is better and a more pleasant listen than this one I guess will ever be since its been remixed once already. It has 7 or 8 good songs but the terrible, distorted sound kills the experience for me. Just my opinion...... Edited by Narpski

The Vapor Trails remix was a mistake...it went TOO far in the opposite direction, and took away ALL the balls that was a hallmark of the album. Now, I HATE digital clipping distortion and despise the loudness wars, but this album grew on me for 10 years that it now sounds soooooooooooo WRONG by chopping its testicles off. The fact that the band basically didn't even care that parts of songs were added and changed shows their complete lack of interest in the final product. Yes, the instruments are more separate, but it is an EMPTY separate. And, the vocals are WAAAAAAAAAAY too loud. It just doesn't fit together as a whole. It sounds WRONG.

For an album that was MEANT to be a sort of concise monotone powerful epic, taking away that power is NOT a good idea. The vocals being heavily effected and slightly buried in with other instruments was kinda the "sound" of this album. Remember, this album completely lacks much virtuosity, so even hearing the individual 40 guitar tracks doesn't even give you any rewards. The playing itself is pedestrian, so there's nothing really to "discover" except errors that were meant to be covered up in the original mix. It just needed the sizzly buzzing removed.

The person who remixed it should have STUDIED the original editing and mixing, and basically repeated that process WITHOUT the digital clipping and sizzle. THAT is the only problem with the production. It should NOT have been turned into a completely different beast. There aren't THAT many "good" qualities to Vapor Trails, but what it WAS good for (Rush's most powerful album in DECADES) was completely abandoned and raped behind an abandoned barn in Chanute, Kansas.

There is never love without pain.

Edited by Spaghetti Lee
  • Like 1

Peacable Kingdom sounds...wrong...is this better on the original?

F yes!!!

I hope S&A sounds better....

No comment.

In my opinion it does, but then I like the album. I never had any complaints about the production of S&N's.

• Like 1