Violence at Concerts

Mr. Not

What's the appeal? It's so common... Mainly in the intense metal scene and the punk rock scene... But what's the appeal?

Even if I enjoyed these genres (which I don't, as they're by definition lesser forms of music due to their lack of melody...) I'd be deterred from going to the concerts in fear of injury, or just in general having to deal with douche bags rather than being able to enjoy the musicians on stage...

I'm dismayed atm because I've found frontman of the prog rock band I've been getting into recently, goes crazy dancing and jumping around the stage (which is cool), and sometimes will throw stuff into the crowd (which isn't). In this below clip, you can even see he starts harassing a cameraman :wtf: a few seconds later you can see the guitarist Omar run over and hit him with quite a pissed expression :LOL: I blame Cedric's punk/post hardcore background for this sort of behavior, apparently he did these acts in those years to an even greater degree

What's the appeal?

^ something of a rhetorical question btw, I just don't personally find it all that great but rather f***ing stupid. So many alternative social and emotional outlets that are safe... You're free to answer it anyway.

Edited by Mr. IsNot
  • Like 1

Even when I used to be huge fans of these types of bands not so long ago (forgive me), I never had the urge to go to a concert because for fear of my safety......and the simple truth that many of the bands are mediocre live. Mosh pits are ridiculous and I have no urge to be in one. It seems too horrifying.

What's the appeal? It's so common... Mainly in the intense metal scene and the punk rock scene... But what's the appeal?

Even if I enjoyed these genres (which I don't, as they're by definition lesser forms of music due to their lack of melody...)

Woah, nothing like a bit of bias there :(

I'm dismayed atm because I've found frontman of the prog rock band I've been getting into recently, goes crazy dancing and jumping around the stage (which is cool), and sometimes will throw stuff into the crowd (which isn't). In this below clip, you can even see he starts harassing a cameraman :wtf: a few seconds later you can see the guitarist Omar run over and hit him with quite a pissed exp<b></b>ression :LOL: I blame Cedric's punk/post hardcore background for this sort of behavior, apparently he did these acts in those years to an even greater degree

Throwing stuff at people and possibly injuring them is never cool. Mosh pits, otoh, are voluntary and I see them as different.

What's the appeal?

I used to be a big Fear Factory fan and saw them a bunch of times. Each time I would want to get close to the stage and be part of the action. Going up and getting in or near a mosh pit you are feeding directly off the energy of the music and the crowd. To me, it's a way to become part of the music. I've also been in/near pits for bands like Slayer and The Ramones, for the same reason.

The best pits are well-behaved. People are not trying to hurt each other, and if someone falls they are pulled right back up. Pits where people do try to hurt others are wrong.

Note: Most of this took place when I was in my 30s, so it's not like it's' limited to teenaged boys :)

The Mars Volta huh? Well, I guess that's how Cedric and the rest of the band channel themselves when they get lost in the music, and it does make for a high energy show from a band standpoint and a fan standpoint, but the way they channel their energy is not for everyone. I can give or take with high energy live bands like The Mars Volta. Sometimes, it makes for a great show, other times it could lead to a few broken ribs or even worse. They're the complete opposite of a band like Cult of Luna, who for better or for worst, were the most unenergetic band I've seen (post-metal bands are low energy bands tbh), which might make it sound like they're boring and a dreadful live band, but they're more about mood, atmosphere, and playing the music rather than acting glitchy on stage.

I've involuntarily got myself in mosh pits several times (the most recent being when I saw Mastodon/Gojira). Other times, I was in front of the barrier that I got pushed to the point where I got crushed in between the barrier and those who are pushing me forward. Yeah, from time to time I do get worried about my safety at shows where there's gonna be moshing and shit like that, I've experienced almost every kind of concert experience but to be honest nothing will stop me from going to a concert. I'm there to see live music, not so much for the crowd experience.

• Like 1

I've involuntarily got myself in mosh pits several times (the most recent being when I saw Mastodon/Gojira).

Hey...I saw that show too! :haz:

I didn't go in the pit though. I'm 45, and my moshing days are well behind me. Moshing can be fun. I don't think I would call it violence. It's just people getting into the energy of the music.

In GG Allin's performance where he performs nude, grabs and drags an audience member by her hair, shits on the floor and then proceeds to eat it / wipe it all over his face, you can see that most of the crowd disperse and eventually leave. I'm pretty sure this sort of thing is an outlier for punk shows (the feces part definitely is). There's a video of this out there, I was thinking about posting it here in a spoiler, but nah. You'll find it yourself pretty easily if you really want to see it. Many of you probably already know about it.

Moshing is up for debate... I mean, I'd never do it, but whether I'd consider it savage depends on the particular mosh pit. In general I'd say "not a good idea"; I propose a slippery slope. I remember freshman year of high school one guy was bragging about how he punched someone he didn't like in the face during a dance mosh pit (it was a ska performance they were at) and got him to leave the concert.

Mosh pits used to be ways of communally expressing the intensity of the music and sharing the vibe but now all I see is a bunch of wankers dicking about and using it as an excuse to randomly punch and kick each other. It's devolved into probably the most excruciatingly embarrassing live spectacle and whenever I see it I want to puke into my mouth. It needs to stop.

• Like 2

now all I see is a bunch of wankers dicking about and using it as an excuse to randomly punch and kick each other

It's likely that they also use it as an excuse to take their anger out on not getting/trying to get to the front of the barrier (which I've seen happened at one show) which is such a juvenile excuse.

I moshed once, but it was with a very happy group at a Flaming Lips show. No violence. Just balloons and confetti.

I was probably a little too far past my prime, as I got sweaty and tired within 15 minutes.

Then a man dressed as a bunny landed on my neck and I made my way to the back row to cool off.

• Like 1

In GG Allin's performance where he performs nude, grabs and drags an audience member by her hair, shits on the floor and then proceeds to eat it / wipe it all over his face, you can see that most of the crowd disperse and eventually leave. I'm pretty sure this sort of thing is an outlier for punk shows (the feces part definitely is). There's a video of this out there, I was thinking about posting it here in a spoiler, but nah. You'll find it yourself pretty easily if you really want to see it. Many of you probably already know about it.

Moshing is up for debate... I mean, I'd never do it, but whether I'd consider it savage depends on the particular mosh pit. In general I'd say "not a good idea"; I propose a slippery slope. I remember freshman year of high school one guy was bragging about how he punched someone he didn't like in the face during a dance mosh pit (it was a ska performance they were at) and got him to leave the concert.

There used to be a morning DJ in Chicago who used to send his producer to GG Allin concerts. That was some of the funniest shit I've ever heard on the radio.

And there is nothing savage about a mosh pit. It's just a bunch of young goofs burning off energy. :eyeroll:

now all I see is a bunch of wankers dicking about and using it as an excuse to randomly punch and kick each other

It's likely that they also use it as an excuse to take their anger out on not getting/trying to get to the front of the barrier (which I've seen happened at one show) which is such a juvenile excuse.

Like I said earlier, It's been years since I was in a pit, but when I was younger, there was never any kicking or punching. Just ramming into one another. And if someone fell down, you stopped and helped the person back up. I found it interesting that there was actually a code of conduct in the pit. The thing I found annoying was that I was constantly asked by kids to "launch" them so they could crowd surf. It would get quite annoying after a while. You're trying to have some fun, and every minute or so, I get some kid in my face saying "dude, will you launch me?"

I go to see Stiff Little Fingers most years and it is great to see 40 - 50 year olds trying to re-capture their youth by pogoing. The band generally start with 3 high energy songs just to set the mood and I;m waiting for the heart attack.

Complete madness, but generally good-natured pushing and jumping around - wouldn't miss it!

I'm sorry if I sound old but... was that music? I must admit my favorite part was at the beginning when they're all hammering one chord and the guitar player is shredding all three notes he knows and they're all looking at their instruments like it's a struggle and watching the drummer like it matters if any of it was in time.

I would actually pay money if it could guarantee I would never have to hear it again. I also agree fully, there is zero melody.

I know that didn't answer your question but I had to vent.

No, moshing to me is pointless and unnecessary. Dance, sure. Fly into each other swinging fists? Eh... nope.

There used to be a morning DJ in Chicago who used to send his producer to GG Allin concerts. That was some of the funniest shit I've ever heard on the radio.

And there is nothing savage about a mosh pit. It's just a bunch of young goofs burning off energy. :eyeroll:

Used to be. Now it's a bunch of silly twats behaving like twats.