Which Rush album that you now LOVE took you the longest to warm to?

Segue Myles

I would say Fly By Night. Most Rush albums I pretty much had a set appreciation for upon the first listen, the only exceptions were the first four, and the 2000's releases (Which just took time for me to formulate any opinion). Everyone I popped in lacked that A Farewell to Kings and later writing that I craved, and they always left me relatively down put, but of all of them, Fly By Night rose from the ashes of me not thinking as much of them as whole albums, to me realising there are some catchy and fun songs on here, even if they don't quite match up to what I expected.

I might have to go and revisit this one based on your experience. Rush and Fly By Night don't deserve my dislike, I just haven't warmed to them yet...give it time!

the first 2 albums are for me at least.....two huge swings and misses. I tried and i've yet to warm to either. The debut was zeppelin done not very well. and FBN they still had to gel as a "New" band. In my eyes Caress of steel was the first REAL Rush album.

Mick

the first 2 albums are for me at least.....two huge swings and misses. I tried and i've yet to warm to either. The debut was zeppelin done not very well. and FBN they still had to gel as a "New" band. In my eyes Caress of steel was the first REAL Rush album.

Mick

I don't view the first two albums as being any less "Real Rush" than I do 2112 or Clockwork Angels. They had to start somewhere!

Mick

I don't view the first two albums as being any less "Real Rush" than I do 2112 or Clockwork Angels. They had to start somewhere!

I guess you're right. I just have a tendency to do that with artists who started somewhere so different from where they went. Prince and Elton John also come to mind. But i know i shouldn't really say that. it's not fair.

Mick

Mick

I guess you're right. I just have a tendency to do that with artists who started somewhere so different from where they went. Prince and Elton John also come to mind. But i know i shouldn't really say that. it's not fair.

Mick

I used to be like that, until I realised that quite often the early albums I dismiss are some other fans die hard favourite! So I now regard each step as a an evolutionary move for the band (whether or not I regard the progression as food or bad is another matter all together!)...I feel its more believable to the ears to recognise FBN and Hem as two albums from the same band, as, say, HYF or VT!

Edited by Segue Myles

Vapor Trails Remix is growing on me...trying to be a patient listener and I am sensing a few rewards are on the cards for doing so!

Still find the production strange, but hey! It is what it is...

Well...every Rush album that I love I loved at first listen...except for Hemispheres.

The title track takes some commitment to really appreciate, and Circumstances is an acquired taste IMO, but now I really love this album. Top 4 for me.

HYF took nearly a decade for me to enjoy. I've come to appreciate it over the years, but it remains my least favorite Rush album. Too synth heavy for my ear.

I'm still working on Snakes & Arrows on account of the fact that I still hate it.

You hate S&A?

Wow.

That's one of those albums I view as having a little something for everybody.

Snakes & Arrows is the album that got me interested in the band again, so I do like it. Especially after the fiasco that was Vapor Trails 5 years before.

I'm still working on Snakes & Arrows on account of the fact that I still hate it.

You hate S&A?

Wow.

That's one of those albums I view as having a little something for everybody.

After going through my list, I "love" 9 of Rush's albums. Snakes and Arrows is at #9 (behind Permanent Waves).

It looks like the stuff I "love" is '78-'85 + Counterparts + S&A-Clockwork Angels.

Vapor Trails is probably the farthest one up that I don't "love" (at #10). It's got some baaaad songs on it, but also some awesome songs.

Edited by BowlCity

I got to work on A farewell to Kings. I know it seems to be a darling around here. I love only 2 songs and mildly enjoy another.......the rest :zzz:

Mick

Ouch..... :eh:
  • Like 4

I got to work on A farewell to Kings. I know it seems to be a darling around here. I love only 2 songs and mildly enjoy another.......the rest :zzz:

Mick

I'm not the biggest fan of the title track, but aside from that the album is pretty amazing IMNTBHO.

I know Madrigal doesn't get much love around here but quite honestly it's one of my favorite songs from the 70's

The title track is good enough i guess. I love Xanadu and closer to the Heart. Everything else.....nah, At present moment the album's a solid 2 out of 4 stars for me.

Mick

Cinderella Man? In my top 20 songs they have done all time if not higher but this album is a "darling" of mine so..... :)
  • Like 1

The title track is good enough i guess. I love Xanadu and closer to the Heart. Everything else.....nah, At present moment the album's a solid 2 out of 4 stars for me.

Mick

Cinderella Man? In my top 20 songs they have done all time if not higher but this album is a "darling" of mine so..... :)

Cinderella Man is in my top 5, it kicks monumental amounts of ass. It contains one of Rush's best instrumental breaks ever. Geddy's bass is so cool, as is Alex's use of wah Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 2

Mick

Hey fear not i'm trying.....things have clicked before they might again.

Mick