What makes Tom Sawyer so hard for Neil to play?

LeaveMyThingAlone

I think part of it is keeping the constant 16th notes going on the high-hat. The first time I heard him talk about it being difficult, the song was coming right after his drum solo. So he was bashing away at his kit for 8-9 minutes, and then they go into TS with a very precise percussion part.
  • Like 1

So much for that. It doesn't help knowing why it is so difficult for him to play if I don't even known what a 16th note is. :(

When I watch him play, I often wonder what kind of concentration it must take to do all he does at the same time. It appears to me he has several things going at the same time, but not necessarily at the same beat.

• Like 1

Most of us have heard Neil say Tom Sawyer is one of the hardest songs for him to play live. As someone that has no technical knowledge of drumming, I've always wondered why that is. Is it an odd and difficult time signature? Is it tiring? Is there one specific part of it?

My understanding is that the song takes a lot of stamina. He's known for being a heavy-hitting drummer and there aren't many spots in TS where he's not drumming. He's on maximum overdrive nearly the whole song.

• Like 1

So much for that. It doesn't help knowing why it is so difficult for him to play if I don't even known what a 16th note is.

So the next time you're listening to a catchy song and you find your foot tapping to the beat, the chances are good that you'll be tapping quarter notes. Most "catchy" songs are in 4/4 time, which means "four quarter note beats per measure". If you tap your foot twice as fast, you'll be tapping 8th notes (your foot will tap 8 times per measure)...if you double that, you'll be tapping 16th notes.

• Like 3

Speaking of Neil and his drumming, that reminds me of something someone here said on another thread. I think they mentioned that Test For Echo was the last album with Neil before he went under the tutelage of that drum master (forgot his name).

Can those here who are attuned to this type of thing hear the difference in his playing?

So much for that. It doesn't help knowing why it is so difficult for him to play if I don't even known what a 16th note is.

So the next time you're listening to a catchy song and you find your foot tapping to the beat, the chances are good that you'll be tapping quarter notes. Most "catchy" songs are in 4/4 time, which means "four quarter note beats per measure". If you tap your foot twice as fast, you'll be tapping 8th notes (your foot will tap 8 times per measure)...if you double that, you'll be tapping 16th notes.

Thank you. I'll start noticing this with myself when I am listening to them because I am always tapping my foot.

Speaking of Neil and his drumming, that reminds me of something someone here said on another thread. I think they mentioned that Test For Echo was the last album with Neil before he went under the tutelage of that drum master (forgot his name).

Can those here who are attuned to this type of thing hear the difference in his playing?

I'm not a drummer, just a dumb guitarist, so I don't hear any marked difference between the pre-Gruber and post-Gruber Neil, and I seem to recall that Neil's band mates couldn't really hear much of a difference, either. Though Neil did harp on the mechanics of Gruber's tutelage, I think the effect of having worked with Freddy was more esoteric, resulting in subtle changes in how Neil feels (and presents) the beat.

• Like 2

It's one of those songs where he hits the drums really hard, at times really fast, and it's non-stop. As said above, there isn't a single spot in the song where he isn't bashing the kit. Lots of time changes and really fast hi-hat hits, which can't be good for the wrists.

That insane drum break after the guitar solo that every casual fan wanks over isn't exactly easy either :P

• Like 1

I think it's a difficult song for each of them to play. I read where Geddy says that he loves playing it live because it's so difficult, and he gets a great amount of satisfaction when they nail it live.
  • Like 1

I'm going to go watch them do it right now.

What concert should I watch? I guess the question should be, at what concert did they do it the best? I like the CA one on account of the fact that they all seemed happy the three hours were over and they only had one more song to do.

Speaking of Tom Sawyer, has anyone here noticed that they end the concert version of it the same way Xanadu ends?

It's one of those songs where he hits the drums really hard, at times really fast, and it's non-stop. As said above, there isn't a single spot in the song where he isn't bashing the kit. Lots of time changes and really fast hi-hat hits, which can't be good for the wrists.

That insane drum break after the guitar solo that every casual fan wanks over isn't exactly easy either :P

What's a "hi-hat hit"? Point out a part in the song where he does it so I know exactly what you are talking about.

I think it's a difficult song for each of them to play. I read where Geddy says that he loves playing it live because it's so difficult, and he gets a great amount of satisfaction when they nail it live.

It's not too hard (relative to some of their other songs) on the guitar.

I still can't get f***ing Spirit of Radio's main riff. I have tried for years.

I'll just go back to playing La Villa Strangiato. Really strange that I can play all of that but not TSOR.

What's a "hi-hat hit"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmuJODCjpiA

Definitely the fact that is playing hard and maintaining 16th notes. If you are not in shape, you will run out of gas about half way through, your forearm muscle will start to give out along with the accenting on the hihat. I know plenty of drummers who can "go through the motins" meaning they can play it, but mostly with their wrists. In order to get "the sound", you have to get you whole body into it.

I still can't get f***ing Spirit of Radio's main riff. I have tried for years.

I'll just go back to playing La Villa Strangiato. Really strange that I can play all of that but not TSOR.

It's tricky to get without inadvertently sounding the B string. I always end up very lightly muting the strings when I play it...just enough to keep the B string from ringing out, but not enough to keep the intentional notes from being heard. I also play an extra note that Alex doesn't usually play.

He plays the first part of the riff like F#-E-D(D)-A-E-D-E, where he plays that first D note as an 8th rather than a 16th...I play it F#-E-D-E-A-E-D-E.

Which drum is the bass drum?

The big one (or ones in the case of this pic):

http://www.freewill.net/bertPhotos/3e.jpg

• Like 1

This kid nails it......

>Check out this 7 year old drummer Avery Drummer....especially @ the 2:20 mark he starts to get into playing and having some fun....

Edited by g under p

The heart of any rock kit is the kick, snare, and hi-hat.

The kick provides the low-frequency "thump".

The snare provides the mid-frequency "crack".

And the hat provides the high-frequency "tick/tock" pulse (and/or other interesting accents).

A good drummer can get a lot of mileage with just those three kit pieces.